Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

I've got a Gen 4 19 - its my EDC gun and I really like it - Having said that, I've had to install the White Sound HRED and the 30274 extractor (ejector?) in order for it to run well. While it really ticks me off that it didn't run well out of the box, it's running well now and I'm happy with it - it took about $30 worth of parts and seems to be an easy fix, at least so far.

Will it crap the bed at some point, probably in a 2 day class? Maybe, which is why you really should look at acquiring a second gun identical to your carry gun as soon as reasonably possible for you. Any gun, even HKs are going to hit wear points and have mechanical issues at some point (I agree the the likelyhood with the HKs are less right now - but I don't really like them)

While there is some validity to the idea of getting an older gen 3 - I prefer the ergos of the gen 4 and if you're shooting left handed, I can see the advantage of ambi mag release.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Gen 4 - I would just go into it with the understanding that you might have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One of the biggest pitfalls to new gun owners is analysis paralysis. Simply, they get caught up in trying to find "perfect". It is unfortunate that neither S&W nor Glock can get their act together enough to make one or the other a clear, unequivocal, choice today. In fact, it downright pisses me off. But given that neither are perfect, you may as well choose either.

Things like "fit my hand", "points naturally", etc. are meaningless going forward. They only seem to matter until you finally figure out that they don't. What matters is getting a gun, spending some time on the range with it to ensure function, and then getting into a class. and resisting the temptation to "if only" this situation. Just stick it out with whatever you picked, it really doesn't matter what it is provided it goes bang with an acceptable level of reliability.

That choice that seems so overwhelmingly important when you're starting out is really one of the most insignificant choices in the long term. What matters FAR more is who you choose to begin your training with.
    Wow, perfect. I lucked out in getting and following this advice when I decided to "get serious."

It's taken me about 18 months, 3-4 quality classes of different lengths, 5-15 minutes of dry fire (almost) daily, and I'll guesstimate 15K rounds, to get from completely clueless n00b to only mostly clueless gun forum expert. Early on, I switched to the g19 from the usp45, and I'm glad I did - not because one gun was better or easier, but because I never had to think about the hardware with the g19. Holsters, mags, ammo, knowledgeable smiths, sights, parts, all of that was so much easier to find for the g19. I was able to experiment with lots of different setups - I have a whole gun dedicated to experimenting. I could quickly, easily, and (relatively) inexpensively satisfy my curiosity, adopt the rare experiment that actually made a difference, and drive on. It's making my learning experience much more pleasant.
    Last edited by MDS; 06-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Muhlenkamp View Post
    I would find a used Gen 3, (and in fact just bought two, a 17 and a 19) but the pistol is not the only part of the "system" to consider.

See this thread

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ping-Beginners

Today I would change my mag pouch recommendation to either the Sidearmor or the Comp-Tac as some of the other commenters suggested.
    Good luck
    Thanks, that's a useful thread. Being new to this I'm not terribly familiar with what's available for belts, holsters, and mag pouches.

What parts in the Glock 17 / Glock 19 were causing issues? Spring, extractor, ejector? If I want to make sure I get the newest revisions what numbers on what parts should I look for?

"newest" isn't always "better". An older isn't always "better" either. I bought two Gen 3 Glocks, not because of perceived reliability but because I prefer the grip, and both are throwing the occasional brass back in my face. I suspect one is because of a worn spring while the other has issues from the beginning.

In all seriousness, go buy a gun and go shoot it. I'm not even remotely kidding. Just because the internet is awash in problems from one gun or another does not mean that these problems affect every single gun. Remember that people are far more likely to post when they have problems than when they have none.

Go shoot the gun and worry about problems if the occur. Trying to nip every problem in the bud before purchase is like trying to be sure you're buying the latest and best technological thing, it just won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Early on, I switched to the g19 from the usp45, and I'm glad I did - not because one gun was better or easier, but because I never had to think about the hardware with the g19. Holsters, mags, ammo, knowledgeable smiths, sights, parts, all of that was so much easier to find for the g19. I was able to experiment with lots of different setups - I have a whole gun dedicated to experimenting. I could quickly, easily, and (relatively) inexpensively satisfy my curiosity, adopt the rare experiment that actually made a difference, and drive on. It's making my learning experience much more pleasant.
    Ubiquitousness is a powerful, and positive, thing. Unfortunately many prefer to be the anachronists in the shooting world. Or, should I say, gun owning world.

Show up to a carbine class with me and I have not only multiple spare guns but very likely every single tool and spare part to get your own gun running again. Show up with an Aug and have problems and you're on your own.

I'm really liking my 3 week old Gen 4 G19 so far but only have ~600 rounds thru it right now, comparing it to my various 2nd and 3rd Gen Glocks these are my perceived plus and minuses:

+'s
    'Feels' better in my hand with no backstrap.
    Top finger groove was lowered so it doesn't pinch you middle finger as much.
    Possibly more precise (smaller groups) at 25 yards, I've only shot it at that distance once and it shot as well as my old Les Baer in my hands.
    I like the dot connector, it has a slight roll before the break.
    The factory texture is grippy but not rough.

-'s
    Erratic ejection which I hope will be solved with Apex Tactical's kit.
    Shoots to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One of the biggest pitfalls to new gun owners is analysis paralysis. Simply, they get caught up in trying to find "perfect". It is unfortunate that neither S&W nor Glock can get their act together enough to make one or the other a clear, unequivocal, choice today. In fact, it downright pisses me off. But given that neither are perfect, you may as well choose either.

Things like "fit my hand", "points naturally", etc. are meaningless going forward. They only seem to matter until you finally figure out that they don't. What matters is getting a gun, spending some time on the range with it to ensure function, and then getting into a class. and resisting the temptation to "if only" this situation. Just stick it out with whatever you picked, it really doesn't matter what it is provided it goes bang with an acceptable level of reliability.

That choice that seems so overwhelmingly important when you're starting out is really one of the most insignificant choices in the long term. What matters FAR more is who you choose to begin your training with.
    +1.
    Last edited by Tony Muhlenkamp; 06-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.

[QUOTE=
    -'s
    Shoots to the left.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding like a self righteous know it all...shooting to the left is rarely a problem with the gun. Not saying it can't happen, but before you start changing the gun see if you can get someone like Todd to diagnose your grip, trigger, and follow through.

Or maybe you knew that and were just being ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Muhlenkamp View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a self righteous know it all...shooting to the left is rarely a problem with the gun. Not saying it can't happen, but before you start changing the gun see if you can get someone like Todd to diagnose your grip, trigger, and follow through.

Or maybe you knew that and were just being ironic?

I've only shot a Glock in Todd`s class and have never had this problem with the 7 Glocks prior, I suggest reading this thread where even Todd had the same problem with his 4th Gen: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ng-to-the-left

Tony, another thread on Gen 4's shooting left is going -- as I recall, Todd's Gen 4 shoots left, too.

User Tag List