Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

So what sub $800 gun doesn't have some issue of sorts?
    I can name three off the top of my head. Walther PPQ, Walther P99, Caracal.

If any of these three pistols had as many first hand reports of malfunctions or accuracy issues as have been reported by many here as well as many more on other forums, would anyone here recommend them?

I doubt everyone reporting issues is lying.

PPQ has issues with sharp blows to the muzzle, as discussed elsewhere

Caracal is too new to have issues yet, but sights that are integral to the slide is a big downside, to me at least

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    What does that mean? Never heard that description before.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    I don't follow the PPQ, so I'm not familiar with this problem. Can you post a link or describe the issue?

bleh that was the FNS not the PPQ my mistake

maybe im spending too much time here the post are starting to blend together ;p

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    I can name three off the top of my head. Walther PPQ, Walther P99, Caracal.
    Neither the PPQ nor the Caracal has enough units on the market to say whether they have issues or not.

Comparing the Caracal to the Gen4 Glock problems or the recent manufacture M&P accuracy issues is like the guy who says his Taurus Millennium has run flawlessly so far.

I appreciate those out there doing the beta testing, but until there are substantial amounts in action with substantial round counts, we don't know what kind of issue these guns will have.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I don't have the HK P30, but I do own Glocks and M&Ps'. I do have a HK P 2000 I often carry when I'm not carrying my 1911. Of the three it would be a hard choice. For me it would come down to the P2000 or the M&P with thumb safeties, but that's me as I'm concerned about the shorter lighter trigger movement of the Glock's trigger without any manual safety.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    TLDR: If you were buying an all purpose 9mm handgun today, which platform would you go with?
    If I was to go back in time with all I've learned from when I first bought a handgun umpteen years ago until today, I'd buy a couple of Glock 17's, modify them so I don't get bit by the slide, and then just shoot them until they died.

If I had to start over again tomorrow from scratch because all my firearms had been lost in a horrible boating accident, I'd do the same thing, especially since the Gadget is on the horizon. This isn't to say that the G17 is my favorite handgun or that Glock Inc. doesn't have their share of issues, but I'm reasonably certain that if I had to start over I could procure a working weapon with relatively little fuss and with a few minutes of light customization I'd be set.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If I was to go back in time with all I've learned from when I first bought a handgun umpteen years ago until today, I'd buy a couple of Glock 17's, modify them so I don't get bit by the slide, and then just shoot them until they died.

If I had to start over again tomorrow from scratch because all my firearms had been lost in a horrible boating accident, I'd do the same thing, especially since the Gadget is on the horizon. This isn't to say that the G17 is my favorite handgun or that Glock Inc. doesn't have their share of issues, but I'm reasonably certain that if I had to start over I could procure a working weapon with relatively little fuss and with a few minutes of light customization I'd be set.
    This. G17 or G19...depending on what you can conceal better and will actually carry.

My opinion: it matters little which gun you buy as long as it is has a similar action to the one you have used. Any striker fired gun (minus the LEM) would be easy for me to shoot very well, and I could probably pick up any of them and see performance within 5% on the first day. Honestly, they are all about the same. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a Glock or M&P and shoot it. Just get something with good aftermarket support and shoot it a bunch.
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

User Tag List