Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

Man... I don't like the buy-in price, cost of replacement parts (and few channels to obtain them) or the complexity - compared to a 1911 or GLOCK but... The H&K P30 seems to be the only pistol manufacturer struggling with Quality issues right now. Maybe they are not increasing manufacturing capacity and running three shifts... Just doing what they do best and let the demand (and cost) rise to maintain their profit. Whatever the truth may be its working/I'm convinced.

Hands down P30.

If anyone thinks well of the P226 may I strongly suggest that you give it a try, too. They are oh, so smooth and I, too, am very accurate with one. Add the SRT trigger to a Mk25 and I would be very content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Man... I don't like the buy-in price, cost of replacement parts (and few channels to obtain them) or the complexity - compared to a 1911 or GLOCK but... The H&K P30 seems to be the only pistol manufacturer NOT struggling with Quality issues right now. Maybe they are not increasing manufacturing capacity and running three shifts... Just doing what they do best and let the demand (and cost) rise to maintain their profit. Whatever the truth may be its working/I'm convinced.

Hands down P30.
    I assume you meant this?? I corrected where I think you missed the word 'not'...if that's what you really meant.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    Im giving the Caracal a shot. I recently picked up and shot a C & F model. So far they do everything i want from a semi auto better than Glock, HK, M&P, Sig and FNS. If they remain reliable, my search is over. I love these pistols enough that i don't mind being a beta tester.
    Perhaps this needs to be a new thread, but what sight set up do you have on the Caracal and can you 'thumb' the striker almost like a 'gadget' or hammer so you can feel if the trigger is being depressed during holstering??

I've seen your post about getting the C and F, but I'd like to hear more about them.

Thanks!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    FWIW, I was quite disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support for Sigs, especially with sights. In-Stock holsters wasn't that much better.
    True, but it's all a relative thing. For example, dedicated P2000 or P99 shooters read that and thought "You suck!"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My assumption is there is still a delta in your performance between shooting a P30 and a Glock. First, anyone disagree with that, and second, a best guess on what the magnitude of that delta is?

TLG, as I recall reported Ernie Langdon was shooting a P30 some time back -- any update on what he is doing with it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    True, but it's all a relative thing.
    Indeed, I was comparing it to a Glock, which is an extreme case - along with the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think how a pistol feels is overrated. ...
    I understand your point. In my case, I was fairly certain that all the pistols I was considering were very capable and accurate, certainly more than my skills. In that case, feel, particularly how naturally it pointed and fit my hands and how quickly I could get good sight picture, became fairly decisive.

I'm pretty happy with the decision. Using the targets on this site (thanks, by the way), I'm getting where I can pretty consistently hit within the 2" circle at 7-10 yards. I realize that's not a great feat for most people here, but I've only been shooting regularly for six months or so. (I shot a bit growing up, but infrequently, and not at all in well over a decade.)

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I just picked up a CPO Sig P226 that i ordered from Gunbroker. I have owned a dozen Sig's of different caliber and model and the P226 in 9mm is my favorite Sig. I was jonesing for a P226 badly. Man is it accurate. I have never experienced a stoppage or malfunction in a Sig pistol. The P226 will serve as a range gun or as a backup, since i prefer the Caracal overall.
    I've had a similar experience. I'm still surprised at how tightly it can group shots when I do my part, and it's yet to have an issue. (I did have a misfire during my CCW test, but it was clearly a faulty round). It's been a pretty nice contrast after the issues with a Sigma, nearly all of which I initially blamed on me.
    Last edited by Carraway; 07-08-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: removing redundancy

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I just cannot get over how Glock still receives a "pass" given their current issues. I mean it takes a third party company to 'fix' their extraction woes, but yet, they still receive the Gold Standard stamp of approval? Talk about being "Sheeple." Oh, it's a Glock, we forgive, "lets play magical parts swap and hope this cures the cuts and bruises on my forehead." I don't get it.

In all the training classes I've attended over the last three years, the main platform I have seen fail is the Glock. In one class, out of four Glocks, I witnessed three go down. But we still give them a "pass." The Kool Aid must be good.

So what sub $800 gun doesn't have some issue of sorts?

And to answer the OP's question, my answer is a Gen 4 Glock since the extractor should be the only thing that may need to be replaced and cheaper than fitted barrel for the M&P IMO. I have no experience with the P30 but I know that the aftermarket is expensive overall.

Disclaimer: I am biased as I'm testing Apex Tactical's prototype extractor though I did also have worked over M&P's from them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Perhaps this needs to be a new thread, but what sight set up do you have on the Caracal and can you 'thumb' the striker almost like a 'gadget' or hammer so you can feel if the trigger is being depressed during holstering??

I've seen your post about getting the C and F, but I'd like to hear more about them.

Thanks!
    I have the straight eight style sights. I prefer to have as much site radius as possible, so no quick sites for me. There is an indicator on the rear of the slide, that you can use your thumb to feel if the trigger is being depressed while holstering. It works well. I find the trigger's on Caracal pistols to be better than Glock's and i was getting tighter groups with the Caracal's over Glock's the first time shooting them. I also like the extremely deep tang, that allows a very high grip. And of course the low bore axis. They are just really easy to shoot well. If the Caracal's continue to be reliable, they will replace my Glock's as my serious use pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    As invested as I am in Glocks both in guns/gear and trigger time it sounds irrational but a Sig P226 is on my bucket list. The two times I've shot borrowed ones they were very easy to shoot very accurately with speed. And I'm a sucker for accuracy.
    I feel like I'm shooting a target pistol with a P226 in 9mm. Its fun seeing the hole's showing up on the paper, just where i aimed for the shots to go, one after the other.

User Tag List