Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

Another thing I might add is that you really need to handle and shoot these guns. It sounds cliche and some people repeat it without understanding why?

For me I found out by shooting the g19 that I much preferred the aftermarket Vickers parts. I also found out I needed stippiling and rounding the underside of the trigger undercut. Plus I want the Gadget, but there is not time table on that yet.

None of this is a big deal and these are very common upgrades. But for me the HK p30 LEM did not need anything other then real night sights. I wanted a gun that I could get and really not have to mess with aftermarket stuff and just shoot it. Parts have not been a problem for me as I have spare springs and such. Plus you already have some experience running a HK with similar controls.

Ps: any gun you are going to get most likely will need good aftermarket night sights.
    Last edited by EVP; 07-08-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

I did a lot of research, shopping and handling of 9mm pistols a bit ago. I also shot a few. I wound up with a certified used Sig P226 (no rail and the frame is marked Germany).

The major factor in my decision was simply that it felt better to me, particularly against the other main contenders at that point, a new P226 and a Gen 3 Glock 17. I liked the feel of the Gen 4 Glock 17 quite a bit as well, but my experience with an S&W Sigma--particularly in comparison to an S&W 5946--had me questioning if I wanted a striker-fired, polymer framed pistol.

I'm not sure if the 226 is the best all-purpose gun, however, as it's fairly large and heavy for concealed carry, but beyond that I'm very impressed with mine thus far. I even finally got some time to take the concealed carry class last weekend and used it.

I am considering a smaller pistol for concealed carry, however, particularly something for short hikes.

I think how a pistol feels is overrated. For example, to a 1911 shooter, the Glock points wrong and has a terrible trigger. Many spend money for a grip reduction, to make the Glock point like a 1911, where if they shot a few hundred rounds, it would likely point fine for them. Then they try to recreate a 1911 trigger in a Glock .... I think the thing that should matter is your performance on known drills, after a reasonable transition, using best practice for shooting that pistol.

I also think that people think they can buy performance, when what they really can buy is reliability, accuracy, and build quality. The performance part, excepting minute differences, unfortunately can't be bought, and can only be earned through practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So if I was shopping, I wouldn't be deterred maybe by the way something "looks" from the Factory or how it works from the Factory, because most of those guns have decent to excellent after market support.

I think if the M&P didn't have APEX... it would not be the same gun that's strongly favored by many, and I say this knowing I'm ordering a RAM today for my Dad to try out on his M&P.
    Unless I missed something, all the modifications you mentioned improve function, but I'm okay with that. I fully expect that it's the nature of the firearms world that, to optimize the tool, a little bit of tinkering will be necessary after the fact. Equally, it's also my opinion that the tinkering shouldn't ever be mandatory.

What I'm not cool with is having to order aftermarket parts simply to achieve an appropriate minimum standard of reliability or accuracy - because that suggests to me that a downward slide could be occurring on the manufacturer's end that could impact not only my purchase, but also future products, parts and service. That seems to be a risk with the M&P and newer production Glocks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think how a pistol feels is overrated.
    I agree.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I think if the M&P didn't have APEX... it would not be the same gun that's strongly favored by many...
    Bear in mind that if the M&P didn't already have the market penetration to make it worthwhile, Apex likely never would have gotten into the M&P aftermarket biz in the first place.

I do think that the importance of aftermarket support/market penetration should not be overlooked, however. If you carry a Glock/1911 or, to a slightly lesser extent, a classic P-2xx SIG or Smith M&P, pretty much any catalog you pick up, backwoods gun shop you walk into, or small-volume holster-maker you contact is going to be able to support your gun. That's a nice feeling, and I feel it the way only someone who once toted a P7M8 can feel it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    to a slightly lesser extent, a classic P-2xx SIG
    FWIW, I was quite disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support for Sigs, especially with sights. In-Stock holsters wasn't that much better. I would put the M&P a couple of notches above the Sig.

I would really like to see a modernized Vertec.
    For me, it removed the negative issues with the M9, which I happen to shoot pretty well.

Right now, I think that the P30 is the best of the "duty" pistols available, but only if you are willing in putting in the time to master the trigger, money and time to get the trigger setup right, and are ok with the sight selection.

For the money, I think that the G19 is still the best option. From sights to magazines, holsters to parts, it is the most easily supported pistol I can think of. While the Gen 4 issues still loom, I have not heard of nearly the same quantity of issues in 2012 guns as earlier manufactured Gen 4s. Yes, they still need time before anyone will be able to say that they have regined their past reputation, but how long must we wait before warming back up to them?
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    I did a lot of research, shopping and handling of 9mm pistols a bit ago. I also shot a few. I wound up with a certified used Sig P226 (no rail and the frame is marked Germany).

The major factor in my decision was simply that it felt better to me, particularly against the other main contenders at that point, a new P226 and a Gen 3 Glock 17. I liked the feel of the Gen 4 Glock 17 quite a bit as well, but my experience with an S&W Sigma--particularly in comparison to an S&W 5946--had me questioning if I wanted a striker-fired, polymer framed pistol.

I'm not sure if the 226 is the best all-purpose gun, however, as it's fairly large and heavy for concealed carry, but beyond that I'm very impressed with mine thus far. I even finally got some time to take the concealed carry class last weekend and used it.

I am considering a smaller pistol for concealed carry, however, particularly something for short hikes.
    I just picked up a CPO Sig P226 that i ordered from Gunbroker. I have owned a dozen Sig's of different caliber and model and the P226 in 9mm is my favorite Sig. I was jonesing for a P226 badly. Man is it accurate. I have never experienced a stoppage or malfunction in a Sig pistol. The P226 will serve as a range gun or as a backup, since i prefer the Caracal overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I just picked up a CPO Sig P226 that i ordered from Gunbroker. I have owned a dozen Sig's of different caliber and model and the P226 in 9mm is my favorite Sig. I was jonesing for a P226 badly. Man is it accurate. I have never experienced a stoppage or malfunction in a Sig pistol. The P226 will serve as a range gun or as a backup, since i prefer the Caracal overall.
    As invested as I am in Glocks both in guns/gear and trigger time it sounds irrational but a Sig P226 is on my bucket list. The two times I've shot borrowed ones they were very easy to shoot very accurately with speed. And I'm a sucker for accuracy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List