Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Glock lubrication (what the factory is doing)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I recently bought two Glock 43x pistols, one MOS and one non-MOS. I shot the MOS and it was not resetting the trigger during live fire. During dry fire it was fine. It felt a bit odd as well. I took it to my armorer and he found the slide guts were coated in too much oil and the frame guts were completely dry. I had him check the non-MOS, which I hadn't fired at all, and it was similar but not as bad. He did verify everything was together correctly, nothing was broken, etc, so figures the lubrication was the issue. I haven't had time to live fire yet but hope he's right.

Per him, since Glock quit using the copper colored anti-seize he's been seeing a lot of that sort of thing with new out of the box guns. Apparently they've hired some very minimally trained people to assemble and lube, again per him.

Side note: This reinforces the need to test fire anything before you carry it for real, even "Perfection"...
    When you're running your factory 24/7 and shipping 8K guns a day, those kind of things can rear their head.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I recently bought two Glock 43x pistols, one MOS and one non-MOS. I shot the MOS and it was not resetting the trigger during live fire. During dry fire it was fine. It felt a bit odd as well. I took it to my armorer and he found the slide guts were coated in too much oil and the frame guts were completely dry. I had him check the non-MOS, which I hadn't fired at all, and it was similar but not as bad. He did verify everything was together correctly, nothing was broken, etc, so figures the lubrication was the issue. I haven't had time to live fire yet but hope he's right.
    He was right. 43X ran just fine yesterday. One mag of HST hollowpoints, one of factory 147gr AE, then about half an hour's worth of my 124gr ball reloads (124gr plated bullet, 6.2 gr of Accurate #5) with no issues at all.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Thought I would add another sample point.

Just bought a new Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, through GT Distributors using my 2021 GSSF pistol purchase coupon.

Name:  IMG_9274.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  99.3 KB

There was hardly any trace of the gold lube/paste, except for a very light schmear on the left hand slide rail, interior. Talking a scrape of it, maybe. I used a Q-tip to get a small amount and examine it closely to confirm it was that copper color.

The barrel hood had a teeny drop of lube, and there was some on the slide underneath as well (but not much). And that was about all I could see, without punching out the locking lock retaining pin and taking it apart to see (which, I kind want to shoot it first).

Name:  IMG_9275.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  100.3 KB

I did a basic field strip, examined for shooting residue in the bore (there was a little from the test firing), and bore-snaked it out. I could not tell that there was any lube on the connector to trigger bar, so I put one small drop of lube at the top of the connector so it would drip into the interface and then worked the trigger back and forth.

Reassembled with lube as per the Glock manual.

The manual clearly says to leave the copper lube in the gun and not clean it off. I asked a Glock armorer about it and he said it’s to mate the parts and smooth everything out. Some people are overly obsessed with cleaning guns.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    The manual clearly says to leave the copper lube in the gun and not clean it off. I asked a Glock armorer about it and he said it’s to mate the parts and smooth everything out. Some people are overly obsessed with cleaning guns.
    I clean my guns after every usage...but I still follow the advice to leave the copper lube in place. It's possible to keep the firearm clean...AND...follow instructions.

(I don't think I'm obsessed...just disciplined. Dirt in the house goes under the rug. If you can't see it, it's not there, right?)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

(If you can't see it, it's not there, right?)
    By that logic if you never disassemble your pistol it only takes a quick exterior wipe to keep it clean. I like it.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've never felt the need to leave anti-seize (because that's what it is) on parts of my handguns. If the chances of galling are that high it's a materials and manufacture issue that anti-seize isn't going to fix in the long term.

I avoid grease in general because grease is just oil with a binder. The oil component of it does normal oil things like migrate and evaporate, leaving the binder behind. The binder then behaves like the sponge it is and picks up new things that aren't oil, generally the things we'd rather not have held against friction points on the gun. Only it looks like there's still grease there because you usually can't see a difference between binder that's holding oil and binder that's just holding unwanted garbage. So I clean all that stuff off and just put a good liquid lubricant on the friction points of the slide, barrel, locking block, and frame.

I also usually put a drop of lube on the friction points inside the frame including a drop on the side of the trigger bar that runs against the polymer. Then run the action several times, dryfire several more, and wipe off any excess before loading for use or carry.

Glock's expertise is likely centered around polymer injection molding and CNC machining. I doubt they've got tribologists on staff to make those calls for them because handguns are not complicated lubrication problems.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I clean my guns after every usage...but I still follow the advice to leave the copper lube in place. It's possible to keep the firearm clean...AND...follow instructions.

(I don't think I'm obsessed...just disciplined. Dirt in the house goes under the rug. If you can't see it, it's not there, right?)

I have used cases of anti seize working in the mechanical field. I remove it from new Glocks and properly lubricate and inspect them before firing the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I have used cases of anti seize working in the mechanical field. I remove it from new Glocks and properly lubricate and inspect them before firing the first round.
    I have no such skills, so I just follow instructions.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Received a G19.5 the other day, installed sights, and zeroed the gun.

When I cleaned it afterwards, I decided to detail strip the slide and found the internals to be heavily oiled. Also saw no trace of the copper anti seize that Glock usually applies to new guns.

Incidentally, cleaning out the oil from the slide parts reduced the trigger weight just a little bit.

User Tag List