Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Glock lubrication (what the factory is doing)

This is interesting. I normally purchase my Glocks slightly used. I dont know that I have ever fully stripped one down prior to shooting. I do shoot them prior to carry unlike many people I talk with. Kills me to hear someone talk about their new carry gun and when I ask how it shoots or what ammo it likes they sigh and tell me they have not shot it yet.

This is a concern because many buy and shoot a gun 20-25 rounds and never disassemble or lube or shoot it again. Those are the ones who may see a failure.

It's always good to oil it before shooting and get it cleaned properly after use.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Per Glock:

The copper colored lubricant on
    portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols is
    intended to help provide long-term lubrication and
    should not be removed

The areas under discussion are, again per Glock, areas that only an armorer is supposed to access. I don't think they mean for the original purchaser to take the gun to an armorer before firing, although that's apparently not a bad idea. Or do armorer level stuff yourself, of course, if you can.
    I've always left it in place on my guns.

The only thing I do with new guns is a field strip, cleaning with CLP, followed by light lubrication per Glock's recommendations. A drop on the connector, a drop on barrel and hood, one on each of the slide rails, and finally, a drop smeared at the front of the slide behind the muzzle opening.

Same process after each use of the firearm. Works for me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My SOP for new Glocks: open box, visual once-over, load, shoot. If it's a pool/training gun it may or may not get relubed before it gets put away and used later. If it's going to work, user cleans and lubes. I've found little reason to do anything else with 9mm G's. It's rare that one doesn't work out of the box, and any manufacturing/inspection issues emerge in the first session.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Long ago I started pointing out to people that if they don't test a new weapon, then they don't know if it will function.That has been my experience, and I have observed it with others' purchases.

I always remove the anti seize, clean and lubricate my Glocks before firing a round and have never had an issue.

I strip every firearm I buy to varying degrees, not only to clean and lube, but to get shavings and other materials out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Per Glock:

The areas under discussion are, again per Glock, areas that only an armorer is supposed to access. I don't think they mean for the original purchaser to take the gun to an armorer before firing, although that's apparently not a bad idea. Or do armorer level stuff yourself, of course, if you can.
    Agreed. Detail stripping a new gun is a good way to void the warranty with Glock (though I have never needed the warranty myself). I generally punch a patch/bore snake the bore, then maybe add some CLP if things look dry, and go shoot a few rounds before I trust, or invest much effort into a new gun. But that hasn't ever stopped me from detail stripping one later on. A simple field strip, inspect, patch/snake the bore, and lube if needed can't hurt, and is a good idea with any new gun. Excessive lubrication in places it shouldn't be, or not enough in places where it should be, is likely to cause you issues.

For the record, I'm not an armorer, but Glocks are stupid simple to detail strip compared to other guns. You can basically detail strip one with a ten penny nail, so...

The firing pin channel on my new USA 43 was dripping with oil.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The firing pin channel on my new USA 43 was dripping with oil.
    No bueno. That’s one area that shouldn’t be oiled/lubed at all.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List