Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glock lubrication (what the factory is doing)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

New Glock lubrication (what the factory is doing)

I recently bought two Glock 43x pistols, one MOS and one non-MOS. I shot the MOS and it was not resetting the trigger during live fire. During dry fire it was fine. It felt a bit odd as well. I took it to my armorer and he found the slide guts were coated in too much oil and the frame guts were completely dry. I had him check the non-MOS, which I hadn't fired at all, and it was similar but not as bad. He did verify everything was together correctly, nothing was broken, etc, so figures the lubrication was the issue. I haven't had time to live fire yet but hope he's right.

Per him, since Glock quit using the copper colored anti-seize he's been seeing a lot of that sort of thing with new out of the box guns. Apparently they've hired some very minimally trained people to assemble and lube, again per him.

Side note: This reinforces the need to test fire anything before you carry it for real, even "Perfection"...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I don’t think I’ve ever fired a Glock without a field strip and oiling it. One of our FIs was pretty adamant about that. I usually left that gold lube on and cleaned it up after shooting.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    The lore I heard when I bought my first Glock in the fall of 1991 was that it took 500ish rounds to shoot off the copper lube.

My present carry G3 G34 was purchased used with some of the copper lube in the very rear corners of the slide. The gun was represented to me to have been sold by the store to someone who decided they wanted a G19 instead. Ergo, less than 500 rds thru it. FWIW.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have not detail stripped the slide to say for sure, but a recently purchased G34 seems to have quite a bit of lube on the striker assembly from the factory. More than I'd use myself. IE: none beyond what migrates there from the striker/sear surface. I didn't really pay much attention to the slide, if it had the copper anti-seize in it to start with... I just bore snaked the bore and took it out and put several hundred through it. Makes me curious to go look, but I'm really enjoying this beer right now...

I should probably break down all my recent Glocks that I have not detail stripped, and have a look.

I bought an Austrian made 41 a couple months ago. Way too much oil around the striker leg area. Most definitely going to remove striker and spray polymer safe cleaner in the channel before firing. My 26 was not over oiled and got it about 3 weeks ago. Guess it’s a crap shoot as to what you get in the oil department.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Apparently they've hired some very minimally trained people to assemble and lube, again per him.

Side note: This reinforces the need to test fire anything before you carry it for real, even "Perfection"...
    To me, it reinforces the need to...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever fired a Glock without a field strip and oiling it. One of our FIs was pretty adamant about that. I usually left that gold lube on and cleaned it up after shooting.
    ...at a bare minimum before even test firing it.

I've found plenty of defects in brand new guns that were easily corrected (burrs, debris, etc.) but if left in for more than a handful of dry or live fires would immediately cause damage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The G43X I picked up early May had the copper lube on it. Some oil on the barrel lugs (top and bottom) and on the trigger bar/connector juncture. Caveat though. All guns sold in my country undergo ballistics recording prior to being made available for sale so I'm guessing the distributor oiled the needed bits and snaked the barrel after the tests were completed.

I detailed stripped the gun, and lubed it as per usual prior to shooting it for the first time. The things that I found weird were 1) the RSA just popped out the moment I took the slide off the frame, and 2) the spring of the Extractor Depressor Plunger assembly was not fully seated.

I've made it a habit to detail strip the slide periodically to check on the EDP spring. After a week of dry practice, I've noticed the spring start to wiggle loose. It's still somewhat attached to the metal rod but not fully seated. Never happens with my G17. Not sure if this is a design issue or just a tolerance problem with the small parts.

I was under the impression that you're not supposed to shoot the guns with what they're shipped in, regardless. It's more of a packing oil/preservative, as opposed to gun lube.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Picked up a G43X MOS a couple of weeks ago and it had the copper grease in the slide rails. I detail stripped it and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Sig used to be quite bad about packing P320s slam full of white grease and I would have to armorer level strip them down to get all that gunk out. I inspected/installed sights on one of the newer aluminum framed models last week and it wasn't packed like earlier pistols and the P365 I bought not too long ago wasn't full of the stuff either.

Regards.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was under the impression that you're not supposed to shoot the guns with what they're shipped in, regardless. It's more of a packing oil/preservative, as opposed to gun lube.
    Per Glock:

The copper colored lubricant on
    portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols is
    intended to help provide long-term lubrication and
    should not be removed

The areas under discussion are, again per Glock, areas that only an armorer is supposed to access. I don't think they mean for the original purchaser to take the gun to an armorer before firing, although that's apparently not a bad idea. Or do armorer level stuff yourself, of course, if you can.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List