Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sig 365xl or glock 48 for mini rds?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't have slides with me to weigh, but I was under the impression that the weight of the optic and the weight of the metal removed were a wash? Can you point me to a thread or discussion that describes the optic causing reliability issues on the 43X/48?
    just the one with RJ and a couple other things on instagram but now that I am reading into it more maybe it is more the company doing the milling than the gun itself... my 48 has been dead nuts reliable over 3k so far and 500 of it being 147 grain hst. No dot milled for it yet but it is my go to gun usually given New Mexico weather and 4 small kids with me.

The only time I have seen an optic turn a previously reliable pistol into an unreliable one, was a micro on a Unity plate on a Glock 17. Once we went back to a RMR, it was reliable again. Of course the micro is a tank weight wise. I have seen issues with screws cause reliability problems on multiple pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a Brownell’s 43x optics cut slide that works perfectly with a dot.

I haven't heard of these issues you refer to. (doesn't mean they aren't real). I personally know a handful of people with a 48 and optic, actual shooters, who have had no problems. Personally, I have moved away from my Glocks and carry a 365XL now primarily because it works well with my Walther Q5 match gun as far as indexing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    just the one with RJ and a couple other things on instagram but now that I am reading into it more maybe it is more the company doing the milling than the gun itself... my 48 has been dead nuts reliable over 3k so far and 500 of it being 147 grain hst. No dot milled for it yet but it is my go to gun usually given New Mexico weather and 4 small kids with me.
    So the slimline Glocks (G43/43X/48) are not bad guns BUT they all operate off the G43 RSA. What does that mean ? The timing or operating window between the RSA and the mag spring is much "narrower" than than of service sized Glocks and therefore are less able to tolerate changes including extra slide weight from optics, after market mags or mag extensions, lights/lasers etc. Some may tolerate one of these but eventually they add up and over run the operating parameters of the system.

My Agency (somehow) approved the G43 a while back. Both @Gadfly and myself suspect some monkey business was involved by people in high places who wanted a small gun. Regardless, I've seen multiple stock G43s which could not make it through a 50 round qual course with our duty ammo (124 +P Gold Dot). After years of such reports and testing of the G48 and 43X we not only did not approved the G48 or 43X but new authorizations of the G43 were ceased as well. Now, in fairness, the G43 has a reputation for not liking +P ammo and we are not going to switch duty rounds so our ammo choices played a part in our results.

The FBI tested the G43 and then G43X multiple times before it was finally able to pass testing. They are only authorized for use with one ammo type (Critical duty) and must be used only with stock standard capacity ( 6 and 10 respectively), no lights, lasers, mag extensions or aftermarket mags are allowed. Glock admitted the guns would not pass reliability standards with attachments or mag extensions.

So a stock G43 RSA gun can be reliable with stock mags and ammo it likes. Will it tolerate an optic ? maybe. Probably the lighter the optic the better.

Contrast that with the P365 and P365XL which IME just work (and work) with multiple ammo types, with optics and with factory extended mags 12 or 15 rounds.

Early P365s had striker issues which have been resolved. I've seen two QC related issues with the P365s via work: Some have had oversized rear sight dovetails causing the sights to walk under recoil and there was a period of time where some guns had defective takedown levers. The mags and back plate on the slide will rust if you sweat and don't keep up with it.

WHAT HCM SAID ^^

Conversations had in private and confidence with out Nation Firearms Unit guys lead me to not buy a 43…
    Those same conversations mentioned “the 365 should not shoot and run as well as it does. It runs like a full size. They just kept going.”

I am a Glock Guy. But I like my 365 a lot. My only complaint is magazine cost. Which is just stupid high. And the rust issue HCM mentioned. I have posted pic in the past of what my sweat does to the bluing. I sweat like xenomorphs bleed, it just eats through anything.

I like the feel of the 43 and 48, but probably not buying one. But 365XL may be in my future.

Your mileage may vary.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

You all are killing me. No SCD for the Sig 365; so not an option for me. I already have a G48… I’ll just shoot the stupid thing until it fails like everyone predicts…

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    WHAT HCM SAID ^^

Conversations had in private and confidence with out Nation Firearms Unit guys lead me to not buy a 43…
    Those same conversations mentioned “the 365 should not shoot and run as well as it does. It runs like a full size. They just kept going.”

I am a Glock Guy. But I like my 365 a lot. My only complaint is magazine cost. Which is just stupid high. And the rust issue HCM mentioned. I have posted pic in the past of what my sweat does to the bluing. I sweat like xenomorphs bleed, it just eats through anything.

I like the feel of the 43 and 48, but probably not buying one. But 365XL may be in my future.

Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    You all are killing me. No SCD for the Sig 365; so not an option for me. I already have a G48… I’ll just shoot the stupid thing until it fails like everyone predicts…
    Just pick the right ammo, you should be ok. We buy ammo by the pallet. Tens of millions of rounds per year. So we pick the ammo first, and find a gun it works with. You are picking the gun first, so find an ammo it likes long term…
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    No, just vet your ammo, stick to ammo it likes and run it stock other than the SCD. No light, lasers or mag extensions.

This assumes you have a black slide G48, apparently what ever changes Glock made to get the 43 and 43X to finally pass FBI testing were incorporated into the Black slide G43x & 48 and G43's produced at or after those were released.

The FBI's G43 load 135 grain +P Critical duty would be a good place to start in vetting a carry load for the G48.

The other guys already wrote about how you can run your G48 without issues. If you do decide the grass is slightly greener on the P365 side of the fence, they can be had with a manual safety for added piece of mind. I haven’t handled the manual safety models so I can’t tell you anything about how well designed that safety is, but it is an option.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List