Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keto and Paleo Diet

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yes. Since mid-June 2020, I've eliminated sugar in all forms, with an emphasis on low carb, moderate fat, and high protein. Strength/Resistance training 30 min, and 20 min of cardio, 3 to 5 times a week.
    In longer form:

Did research on insulin resistance and the body's adaptation to storing fat, both body and visceral fat. Learned that America's obesity epidemic started in the 70s and was due almost entirely to a new emphasis by the Government on the "Food Pyramid" and food makers pushing highly processed wheat and corn, with high fructose corn syrup and vegetable oils. Learned combining fat and carbs (Pizza, Doughnuts, Bagels, etc) causes an almost crack-like addiction which lead to cycle after cycle of insulin spikes, only to precipitate hunger and need for more carbs within 2 hours. Eating multiple small meals/snacks a day keeps insulin levels high, and does not address the root cause of hunger. The body becomes insulin resistant, and can't process the glucose except by storing it in new and existing Adipocytes, causing more fat deposits and enlarging the deposits you carry normally.

All that changed for me last June, as I tried to put that into practice.

I realized my diet sucked. I stopped eating all added carbs; no cookies, pizza, bagels, and bread, and avoided most processed foods including so-called "low carb" Atkins meal trays ("filled with healthy sugar alcohols!" /sarc). Stopped drinking alcohol.

I started tracking everything I ate in MyFitnessPal. Specifically, foods that appear frequently in my diet log include:

- MCT oil
    - Kerrygold unsalted butter
    - Apple Cider Vinegar
    - Lemon Juice
    - Magnesium/Potassium supplement
    - Turmeric
    - Omega 3
    - Avocado
    - Eggs
    - Bacon
    - Blackened Salmon
    - Grilled Chicken
    - Bacon
    - Steak (Filet/Ribeye)
    - Hamburger
    - Fresh strawberries or Blueberry's
    - Bacon
    - Cream cheese
    - Green Tea
    - Balsamic

My macro goals are 15% carb, 35% protein and 50% carb, on a net 1,700 cal a day.

Joined the gym at the apartment complex last year, and initiated a strength routine 3 days a week, these days, 5 days a week. Added 20" of cardio at the end to get my heart rate up.

I also started experimenting with Intermittent Fasting. Monday for example I did not eat until 4pm. I had had a steak the day before for Father's day, and a light salad at dinner. I try and do that maybe once a week. Other days I will eat a meal around 11, and another at 4. Some days I'm hungry when I get back from the gym and I will cook breakfast, but not often. I don't graze or snack after dinner like I used to. No more "Atkins Bars" as a pick me up. I don't feel hunger, real hunger, an hour after eating. It's really weird.

I'm currently working on figuring out how best to transition from "diet" mode to "this is how I'm going to eat the rest of my life mode". It's also coincided with a plateau about 180 lbs. I still have some fat to deal with, but I will need to probably continue to up my activity level. This week I started doing 1x a day at the gym, for example.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-22-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I don't buy any junk food. No chips, ice cream, candy, or anything like that. I don't consume dairy. I rarely eat bread, potatoes, cereal, etc. If I feel like I need carbs I'll eat some rice or sweet potatoes. I eat an apple or two almost every day. I've also started eating half an avocado most days.

It's a super simple diet that I could follow for the rest of my life. I don't eat this way to stay thin. I eat this way because I feel better when I do. My body hates highly processed carbs, sugar, and dairy so I don't eat them.
    Yup.

My quick “snack foods” include bagged frozen vegetables. Dump in bowl, zap, splash of olive oil, some interesting seasoning, good to go. Frozen fruits and vegetables(plain, no sauces or syrups) are a reasonable alternative to fresh.

If I want carbs it’s often a microwaved or roasted sweet potato. We usually keep a couple in the fridge for the dogs, and they don’t mind sharing. ;-)

Roasted Brussels sprouts are nothing like the soggy boiled ones you learned to hate.

Since I’m low-sugar at home, I don’t crave sweets when I’m eating out because now most restaurant desserts taste way too sweet.

We need more protein as we age.

It’s not absolute. If someone offers me a really good version of something I don’t normally eat, I’ll probably have a moderate portion and enjoy it.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-22-2021 at 02:32 PM.

I would recommend trying it and seeing if your body "likes" it or not.

In the late 90's I tried the Atkins diet in an effort to help improve my weight lifting. It nearly "kilt me". I was so miserable and felt like I was going to pass out all the time. I would honestly feel like I was drunk at times.

Several years ago after having a DVT and pulmonary embolism with no known cause and nearly dying, I decided that I needed to get healthier.

I stopped eating sweets that weren't fruit, no soda (or Coke's down here) and reduced my serving sizes on everything. I use a smaller plate, chew my food thoroughly and stop eating when I am NO LONGER HUNGRY, not when I am full. I seldom go to restaurants but when I do, I divide my entree in half and if I am still hungry after finishing the first half, I divide it again and eat that. I seldom eat more than half.

For breakfast I usually eat oatmeal and then midmorning I eat some type of a high protein snack like mixed nuts or something. Lunch I usually eat a PB sandwich and some raisins or a banana or apple (today I ate mustard sardines ). Then for supper whatever my wife cooks (on a small plate). Like last night she made boiled chicken/wild rice/salad wraps with a dash of chipotle. I also only eat when I am really hungry. I don't eat because it is breakfast or lunch. If I am not actually hungry, when I say hungry, I mean stomach growling hungry. (To where dogfood makes my stomach growl). Not just "I could eat". For instance, on a weekend in which I don't really do anything, I will eat breakfast of 1.5 eggs and a couple of biscuits with raw honey and then I usually won't eat anything again until supper because I don't get hungry.

I went from 5'11" 235 lbs to 137 lbs over a little more than a year at between 1-2 lbs a week. This is without doing any exercising other than walking the dogs in the afternoon for 1.5 miles and walking at work.

I have since started lifting weights and I am at 153.4 lbs as of this morning and still wearing the same size pants. I have gained some upper body muscle mass because I can feel my shirts fitting differently. I have had to change my diet and add protein/calories after I workout to gain muscle back.

In my limited experience, no one size diet/exercise plan works for everyone. You will just have to experiment and keep what works and discard what doesn't for you and your particular body/environment.

Ah, the noble sardine! There was a time when they were a common lunch item. Now folks in the break room recoil in horror.

I like the ones in olive oil. I usually keep a few cans in my desk as an alternative to the nutritional wasteland of the vending machine.

Ronk - Is your primary interest weight loss or healthier eating?

On the healthy eating side, it’s interesting to look at the “blue zone” diet guidelines, which are based on studies of areas where people lead unusually long, healthy lives. There’s some overlap with paleo and some differences, such as in the amount of beans vs. meat and eggs.

https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/food-guidelines/

There are a lot of roads to healthier eating. None of them work for everybody. Experiment, pay attention to how your body responds, figure out what works for you.

Site Supporter
    In the other thread I recommended this book. I just started re-reading it, and have to once again strongly recommend it...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    That's great!Can you you tell us/me more about it,please?
    Ronk what I did was not strict Keto. I just kept my carbs under 40 and my calories 1800 or less per day. I ate mostly meat, green vegetables, cauliflower, cheese, lo carb nuts like almonds. No sugar, grains, potatoes, fruit (except berries now and again.)

For me, Lo carb and Keto did not work for me until I paid attention to my calorie intake. The lo carb aspect helps keep my hunger under control.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Ah, the noble sardine! There was a time when they were a common lunch item. Now folks in the break room recoil in horror.

I like the ones in olive oil. I usually keep a few cans in my desk as an alternative to the nutritional wasteland of the vending machine.
    Alton Brown on his Good Eats Episode "Never Say Diet" extolled the benefits of smoked bristlings, AKA sardines. I keep several cans on hand of the whole ones in olive oil. The benefits of salmon, with a ton of absorbable calcium from the bones, but portable, especially with my EDC stainless steel chopsticks. He also made sardine topped avacado toast, with shallots, coarse salt (more for texture than flavor. I use Hawaiian black volcanic salt) and a splash of sherry vinegar. I like it on toast, tortillas, lavash, and if you are going grain free you can look up "sweet potato toast" online and make them, or I can go to my local hippiemart and pick up a bag of these which have little chance of walking out of the breakroom freezer at work and can be popped in a standard toaster like an eggo to thaw, reheat, and brown up all at the same time... Even lettuce wraps work with this avacado toast with sardines formula. Good fats, protien, fiber, lots of micro nutrients, filling and very tasty.

ETA: I don't usually do the whole drain the sardines, brush the bread, make a vinagrette approach, unless I am making it for the wife. Literally toast, avacado, sardines, shallots, salt, and a drizzle of oil from the sardine can and a splash of sherry (or champagne, or balsalmic) vinegar. I generally eat it with a fork, and let the bread soak up the oil and vinegar.

Just learn from my mistake. I was somewhere, doing something and I needed to eat, so I grabbed my EDC bag and pulled out my trusty sardines in olive oil. Opened it and set it on the trunk of my car as I dug out my chopsticks. When I cracked the can open some of the oil dribbled out and was on the bottom of the can. I ate and wiped up the oil spill, but within the 10 minutes it took me to eat and clean up the oil attacked the clear coat and left small section of the trunk that attracts dirt like you would not and it will not come out. You can clean ot up, but still see the pattern in the clear coat and it gets dirtier in that little spot faster than the surrounding paint on the trunk.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-22-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    smoked bristlings, AKA sardines.
    I have never had a sardine. Do you just eat them right out of tin can, or do you cook/prepare them somehow?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I have never had a sardine. Do you just eat them right out of tin can, or do you cook/prepare them somehow?
    All the sardines I’ve seen are cooked and ready to eat from the can. As stated above, you can heat and season to taste.

Tinned smoked “kippered” herring are a close relative, traditionally eaten for breakfast in the U.K.

User Tag List