Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keto and Paleo Diet

Keto and Paleo Diet

Hi,does anyone have any experience with either one or both these diets?Thanks as always.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Hi,does anyone have any experience with either one or both these diets?Thanks as always.
    I have lost 80 lbs following a "keto" style diet plan.

https://thepaleodiet.com/

Over time my eating has become more paleo-ish. Some of that is age.
    Minimal simple sugars and simple carbs unless during exercise, minimal non-fermented dairy, minimal wheat, other grains small amounts of whole grains, lots of fruit and veg, good protein, healthy fats, no crap.

I don’t think of it as a “diet”. It seems like a reasonable way to eat good food.

Yes. Since mid-June 2020, I've eliminated sugar in all forms, with an emphasis on low carb, moderate fat, and high protein. Strength/Resistance training 30 min, and 20 min of cardio, 3 to 5 times a week.

I've lost about 30lbs and currently in size 32 pants. My waist to height ratio is 52%. My goal is to try and get to a waist to height ratio of 50% and see where my weight is. Right now just over 180.

Name:  IMG_9213.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  20.8 KB

That's great!Can you you tell us/me more about it,please?

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Like a lot of guys, I've been successful with both but the Paleo proved easier (for me) to follow long term. Problem is that the body adapts to any diet over time, and that's what I think makes all diets eventually fail. What has worked the best (again, for me) is 18 hr intermittent fasting combined with Paleo. Add in a minimalist exercise program and wonderful things seem to happen almost by themselves.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 06-22-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I do what I'd call "lazy keto" in which I generally don't have carbs, but occasionally I do (and when I do I'll have whatever I feel like).

From my peak weight I'm down about 45 lbs over 18-20 months. I've gone in bursts of less or more effort but have now just sort of stabilized on a diet that's still cutting a bit, but fairly slowly. But it's basically zero effort.

It's basically: I eat no breakfast, I have trail mix for lunch almost every day, and then I have a keto dinner.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I lost 66 lbs on simple or lazy keto starting in Oct 2018 and kept it off since except for a couple lbs gain during covid. I just counted carbs only and stayed 20grams net or 40 grams total. After 6 weeks I had to stop BP mess as my BP was too low and I was getting dizzy standing up from sitting. Haven't been high since and regularly am 103 over 66. Off all meds Rx and over the counter and used to need allergy antacids and BP. I also started intermittent fasting about 2 months into it and now just eat lunch at noon and dinner around 4 for 20and4 IF. It was tough at times but mostly early on giving up sugar and carbs . Now I don't need to count anything as it comes second nature. Look at YT for Dr berg, Dr Boz and Dr Eric Westman from Adapt out of NC University. All easy to follow whole natural food. I was heavy all my life outside military service and this lifestyle not diet has changed my life so much I won't go back to anything else. You can do paleo style,vegetarian or even vegan keto or lazy,dirty or true keto as you prefer or lifestyle depending. I spent a month in israel,jotdan and Germany without issues so it works traveling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Like a lot of guys, I've been successful with both but the Paleo proved easier (for me) to follow long term. Problem is that the body adapts to any diet over time, and that's what I think makes all diets eventually fail. What has worked the best (again, for me) is 18 hr intermittent fasting combined with Paleo. Add in a minimalist exercise program and wonderful things seem to happen almost by themselves.
    This is basically what I do. I have followed something very similar for roughly three years now. But being on my own now I've realized my diet wasn't as good as I thought it was. I'm down almost 25 pounds since around Thanksgiving. Anyone that knows me will tell you I didn't have 25 pounds to lose but I lost it anyway.

I rarely eat breakfast except for coffee. When I do eat breakfast it's because the workout the day before has me drained and I feel like I need the extra energy. When I do eat it's a protein-heavy meal. Lunch is generally a salad with some protein mixed in. My current favorites are lemon pepper tuna, hardboiled eggs, or rotisserie chicken from the local mart. Dinner is whatever I have time to make which is usually chicken or steak and a vegetable. I don't buy any junk food. No chips, ice cream, candy, or anything like that. I don't consume dairy. I rarely eat bread, potatoes, cereal, etc. If I feel like I need carbs I'll eat some rice or sweet potatoes. I eat an apple or two almost every day. I've also started eating half an avocado most days.

It's a super simple diet that I could follow for the rest of my life. I don't eat this way to stay thin. I eat this way because I feel better when I do. My body hates highly processed carbs, sugar, and dairy so I don't eat them.

If I feel like I need extra calories I'll drink a protein shake or mix cold brew coffee and protein powder together for an afternoon energy boost. I don't drink every day but I'm not afraid to drink a couple of beers in the evenings. I still enjoy a glass or two of bourbon now and then.

It's amazing how good my diet became when I started buying my own groceries and cooking my own meals again.

Oh, most Saturday's I go to a local restaurant and eat a salad, ribeye, sweet potato with lots of butter, and a couple of beers or a glass of bourbon. I really look forward to that meal because it tastes really good and I'm not cooking it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Student
    Works well combined with a little bit of intermittent fasting.

User Tag List