Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keto and Paleo Diet

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    All the sardines I’ve seen are cooked and ready to eat from the can. As stated above, you can heat and season to taste.
    What brand/style are you eating? I just watched a YouTube video and nearly gagged. I in no way mean to be insulting. There's just not a lot of sardine eating out in West Texas where I grew up. It looks like it should be great for a Keto or Paleo diet and I am interested in trying. That first bite may be difficult.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

ALL the omega 3's...

(The Polar smoked brisling sardines from WalMart... MMmmmm...)

Thank you all again for your reply's.peterb,primarily my goal is healthier eating.I weigh 165 lbs at 6',I do have a little fat that I'd like to loose.My glucose is a little high so I cut out simple carbs.Just looking for ideas how to live a long and healthy life.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What brand/style are you eating? I just watched a YouTube video and nearly gagged. I in no way mean to be insulting. There's just not a lot of sardine eating out in West Texas where I grew up. It looks like it should be great for a Keto or Paleo diet and I am interested in trying. That first bite may be difficult.
    Texas catfish bait...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

All kidding aside...

I started Keto a year ago to contain elevated cholesterol levels. 3 months in, my numbers were looking absolutely stellar.
    My total went from 250 to 180. My HDL went from ~10 to 45.

Talk to a nutritionist; In my case, I really need to be aiming for sub-20 grams of carbohydrates per day, not counting fiber, to ensure that I'm producing ketones.

The first few days/weeks are tough as you develop new eating habits; I sometimes tire of the food - it's a lot of avocados, olive oil, sardines, cheese, fatty meat - but I feel so much better on the diet than off of it... I'm almost never hungry.

There are some really great resources for doing keto cooking out there: https://www.instagram.com/lowcarbstateofmind/ is one of my favorites.
    Her "pepper sandwiches" are great - I fill 'em with Pimento cheese and add ham, LTO, maybe a touch of mustard.

I fall off the wagon once in a while (usually every 3 months) and enjoy a slice of pizza, etc, but I try to really stay on it.
    I find that even a small amount of carbs will kick me out of ketosis - 20 grams is NOT a lot.

Going out for food will be a giant pain in the ass - enjoy the f*(&king salads - also, the unhealthiest stuff seems to be the stuff that keeps you in ketosis:

Hot wings?

Queso sauce?

Dipping hot wings into queso and then topping with sour cream and guac?

Hit me up via DM if I can help.

I understand. Eating fish with skin and bones is not normal in the modern world. You might prefer to start with a skinless or skinless & boneless variety, sometimes marketed as “sardine fillets”

https://www.kingoscar.com/products/s...less-sardines/

https://www.brunswick.ca/products/br...-in-olive-oil/

My default in my local store is Brunswick, or what’s on sale. King Oscar are widely distributed but usually a bit more expensive.

Keto for about 3.5-4 years. Paleo-ish for maybe 4. Low carb about 6.
    All helped.

Carnivore (or 98-100% animal based) the last 3 years. That's been the ticket.

Eat fatty meat, the stuff that tastes good, to taste, until full, then stop. Then don't eat until hungry again. Add salt to taste. Eat cuts you like, but try not to add a bunch of liquid fat (and don't drink it!). Drink water when thirsty.
    That's pretty much it.

Most of my diet is red meat. But also eggs, fish, seafood, occasional bird or pork.
    Sometimes I'll eat some heart or liver. Maybe a few wild blueberries. Negligible amounts of greens or vegetables. Veg is used as a condiment, if at all.

To say it's been successful would be a huge understatement. I'm 46, down about 40 lbs of fat, can do 35 hanging pull ups, sleep well, no digestive problems of any kind, better skin, stable energy, can fast all day (or for days), no joint or tissue pains, no cravings, never hungry, perfect dental health (brushing teeth is a waste of time), wake up with an erection...the list of benefits goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Keto for about 3.5-4 years. Paleo-ish for maybe 4. Low carb about 6.
    All helped.

Carnivore (or 98-100% animal based) the last 3 years. That's been the ticket.

Eat fatty meat, the stuff that tastes good, to taste, until full, then stop. Then don't eat until hungry again. Add salt to taste. Eat cuts you like, but try not to add a bunch of liquid fat (and don't drink it!). Drink water when thirsty.
    That's pretty much it.

Most of my diet is red meat. But also eggs, fish, seafood, occasional bird or pork.
    Sometimes I'll eat some heart or liver. Maybe a few wild blueberries. Negligible amounts of greens or vegetables. Veg is used as a condiment, if at all.

To say it's been successful would be a huge understatement. I'm 46, down about 40 lbs of fat, can do 35 hanging pull ups, sleep well, no digestive problems of any kind, better skin, stable energy, can fast all day (or for days), no joint or tissue pains, no cravings, never hungry, perfect dental health (brushing teeth is a waste of time), wake up with an erection...the list of benefits goes on and on.

I should add, don't think it's strictly necessary to go carnivore, but it can work well for many people (maybe most).
    What I do recommend is that everyone put the high quality animal protein first...make the animal protein the center of your diet. Example, eat red meat until you're full. Then maybe eat something else on the side...maybe, assuming it's real food. Or not. If you're going to eat carbs, then earn them and don't go crazy.

Site Supporter
    I have never had a sardine. Do you just eat them right out of tin can, or do you cook/prepare them somehow?
    Start here. Scroll down for a couple of vids.

pat

I usually eat them out if the can on saltines. Although I do eat them by themselves.

It is actually a hazing ritual in my department. Since i eat them at least once a week, if you are new to the department you have to at least try one bite.

Most people can't do it. Although our recent female co-op didn't even hesitate and liked them.

I personally usually get beach cliff in mustard sauce. I get them at the local Dollar General a dozen at a time. The checkout people must think I get them as pet food because they always get packed with the dog treats I get....

My wife didn't mind the taste she can't get past "eating the little spines!!!" Once she noted defined body parts she couldn't do it anymore.

I likem! 😉

User Tag List