Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axe throwing

Axe throwing

This past weekend my wife convinced me to go with her on a double date with a friend from her work. The friend wanted to go to a new place in town where you throw axes at a target.

I had a BLAST. If you haven't gotten to do it, you should definitely try it.

I took to it immediately, must be my Viking/Frankish ancestry.

My wife, on the other hand..... She was no shield maiden, but she still thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to do it again.

They wanted to keep score and I kept beating them so badly that I switched to using the 2 handed axe, which was more challenging for me to use and I had to stand back farther to get the spin I needed.

We will definitely go again.

Anyone else tried it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    This past weekend my wife convinced me to go with her on a double date with a friend from her work. The friend wanted to go to a new place in town where you throw axes at a target.

I had a BLAST. If you haven't gotten to do it, you should definitely try it.

I took to it immediately, must be my Viking/Frankish ancestry.

My wife, on the other hand..... She was no shield maiden, but she still thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to do it again.

They wanted to keep score and I kept beating them so badly that I switched to using the 2 handed axe, which was more challenging for me to use and I had to stand back farther to get the spin I needed.

We will definitely go again.

Anyone else tried it?
    I haven't tried it, but I've noticed it becoming a thing with dedicated venues opening up (a range in SW VA has an axe throwing side biz).

A friend of mine has gotten into knife throwing, which is related I suppose.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Wife did it at a work event. Loved it.
    When I think about throwing axes for entertainment, I think about the many idiots I've seen almost shoot themselves or me at the range.
    Feels like I'd be safer riding my motorcycle.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Wife did it at a work event. Loved it.
    When I think about throwing axes for entertainment, I think about the many idiots I've seen almost shoot themselves or me at the range.
    Feels like I'd be safer riding my motorcycle.
    At the "range" that we were at, the distance from the target was far enough away that the axes lost most of their kinetic energy by the time they "returned" we found this out multiple times with my wife and her female friend. I wouldn't want to have open toed shoes though because the axes were sharp.

When we were there we were the only ones on that side of the building.

However, this place does sell alcohol, which to me is not terribly wise, IMHO. We were there really early, so we didn't really have a lot of people there.

This being Wisconsin, we have a few axe-throwing BARS in town.

Booze and axes, a great combination.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I had an advert in my rural mailbox a week or two back inviting me to participate in an ax throwing event of some sort locally.

Yeah...it might be fun on my own property...alone or with a buddy. (With someone else's ax.)

I don't think it's in the cards.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I've noticed it becoming a thing with dedicated venues opening up (a range in SW VA has an axe throwing side biz).

A friend of mine has gotten into knife throwing, which is related I suppose.

Chris
    I have been trying to throw knives for years, but have never really been very good at it. My knife throwing is like my wife's axe throwing.

However, for whatever reason, I rarely missed with the axes. My wife said I was sticking more than 4 out of 5 throws and I was picking and hitting the target I wanted to get the score I wanted and that was counting using the double handed axes, which I had much more trouble with.

I definitely enjoyed it much more than my wife's bowling league, which is the other thing that my wife drags me into.

There’s a local axe place that I plan on trying out this summer. If I get good enough, they do a Tuesday night league.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have seen it on TV a few times. Can't remember what channel (one of the sports ones) but it was on the weekend. Apparently there is a National Championship and professional league.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have been trying to throw knives for years, but have never really been very good at it. My knife throwing is like my wife's axe throwing.

However, for whatever reason, I rarely missed with the axes. My wife said I was sticking more than 4 out of 5 throws and I was picking and hitting the target I wanted to get the score I wanted and that was counting using the double handed axes, which I had much more trouble with.

I definitely enjoyed it much more than my wife's bowling league, which is the other thing that my wife drags me into.
    If you can't find a way to combine axe throwing with league bowling in a Wisconsin bar, then America is truly without hope.

User Tag List