Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushing reloading data (Be-86 related)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    NO, Not without calling the tech line of the powder company. A few years ago I was loading .45 colt. Max load for one powder had a velocity of 700 something. I called company asked if I could increase load for more velocity. Ruger Vaquero Bisley. Tech said NO, pressure spikes above that. I left it alone. Switched powder.
    They've got engineers and pressure testing equipment, so yes, call them.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Perfect. That Hornady data looks more inline which what I'm seeing
    In the real world, what is +100fps going to do better for you?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

When I ladder test loads for my .223 the best accuracy is usually the mid range loads. I've just now started testing pistol loads with a red dot on a bag so I'm not sure if that's going to be the same as shooting gnats with a rifle. My pistol skills suck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Lead or jacketed? What's the overall length?
    These are important questions. Bare lead and coated bullets seal to the bore better than jacketed, and therefore it takes less powder to make the same pressure/velocity than with jacketed bullets, because less gas leaks past the bullet through the grooves in the barrel. If the OP is using jacketed bullets with data intended for bare lead or coated bullets, then I agree with those who've said it's probably safe to increase the charge weight. The reverse concept is potentially scary, depending on how conservative the load data is.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    These are important questions. Bare lead and coated bullets seal to the bore better than jacketed, and therefore it takes less powder to make the same pressure/velocity than with jacketed bullets, because less gas leaks past the bullet through the grooves in the barrel. If the OP is using jacketed bullets with data intended for bare lead or coated bullets, then I agree with those who've said it's probably safe to increase the charge weight. The reverse concept is potentially scary, depending on how conservative the load data is.
    I have a 625-8 and the I've read that the barrel was designed to shoot lead, which is what I load and shoot. It works and is much less expensive than FMJ. I've also read that lead yields better accuracy for completive shooters. Jerry Mikulek had a hand in bringing that revolver to market. I'm a student and he's the professor.

Too bad that S&W discontinued the model. It's a revolver and nobody is going to loose any sleep over that. Everyone wants poly compact 9mm something or other these days.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-21-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I don't think I'm reaching for some crazy number here. 1000fps from a 5" gun or 950 from a 4” gun.

If what I was doing was max with this powder then so be it. I just felt it was slow.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I've always heard the opposite.

Cast bullets need less powder to get them going faster due to a better seal and less friction. If I'm getting over 100fps less then jacketed loads then it is safe to move up.

Cast bullets need less powder to get them going faster due to a better seal and less friction.
    That's pretty much exactly what I said.

If I'm getting over 100fps less then jacketed loads then it is safe to move up.
    This, however, does not necessarily follow from that, as the better seal creates higher pressure behind the bullet, so it's possible that a load which is safe with a jacketed bullet would be unsafe with a cast bullet. You're not necessarily wrong to want to add more powder, but please be careful whenever going outside of published load data, or when using load data for one bullet type with a different bullet type, especially if the OALs vary between them.

I don't think I'm reaching for some crazy number here. 1000fps from a 5" gun or 950 from a 4” gun.

If what I was doing was max with this powder then so be it. I just felt it was slow.
    I looked in my Lyman manual, and no 200gr jacketed bullet hit 1000fps out of a test barrel. A couple 200gr cast loads went just over 1000fps, but not by much.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I looked in my Lyman manual, and no 200gr jacketed bullet hit 1000fps out of a test barrel. A couple 200gr cast loads went just over 1000fps, but not by much.
    I am loading cast.

The alliant data gives over 1000fps.

The Hornady data above gives several loads with jacketed bullets at 1000fps

I am loading cast.

The alliant data gives over 1000fps.

The Hornady data above gives several loads with jacketed bullets at 1000fps
    I posted the above FYI. There's only one way to tell what they'll do in your pistol.

User Tag List