Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a dumb ? Paddle vs belt holster

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I actually like them. Go figure. Over the years I’ve used several from different manufacturers, mostly Safariland. The current is a 7TS. I never had the issue with any of the Safariland models shifting. Quite the opposite. I found the wider, curved paddle on the Safariland, along with the “retention hook” on the bottom of the paddle, makes it very secure. I wear a 1.5” double thickness bull hide belt with it (same belt for years over the various models/manufacturers) which I think is the key. It supports the paddle, and also keeps it from shifting. In addition, I have NEVER had the holster shift or remove itself from my person while training or drawing from the holster. I have witnessed others have the identical holster/gun “move around” in a training environment but on every occasion, the belt they were wearing appeared to be cheap junk that wouldn’t support and Airweight.

I have come to like them so much that I had Frike set one up for me for a HK USP 45. Not a small gun. No problems whatsoever. It rides high enough and close enough to be adequately covered by a light jacket or flannel shirt when bumming around up north. Dale made the holster, but I’m using a spare Safariland paddle.

To answer directly the question asked, I find that to be EXACTLY the case. The paddle spreads the weight of the gun across the entire top of the belt in addition to being supported by the paddle against the hip. I have experimented with the belt attachment on the Safariland and have found that not only does the gun ride further away from my hip, but it also droops a lot more and creates hot spots from where the weight of the gun pulls the whole shebang away from my waist.

Your mileage may vary!
    Last edited by entropy; 06-21-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Just looking for opinions on the paddle holster since I’ve never used one. Advantage vs disadvantage. By the time I’m ready for the day, I am looking for options to lighten my load. Suspenders could be an option for weight mitigation. If I cinch up my belt any further, I may split in half.
    You might consider the Phlster Enigma as it is independent of the pants belt and can be looser (the leg leash helps prevent lift).

If you’ve already considered it, disregard the advice.

Phlster Enigma

Earlier today I saw that holster on YouTube when I was looking at Safariland videos. Interesting concept that certainly gives me an option that I never knew existed. Thanks for the info!!

I find that it varies a lot depending on size/weight of gun and the specific holster.

I have had a lot of success with Kramer MSP horsehide holsters for many years. Any paddle has the potential to move around a bit, but I find a horsehide paddle is thin enough and firm enough to give rigidity without bulk, but will also conform enough to the body that it takes a"set" unlike a plastic or kydex paddle and is more comfortable and stable.

One added benefit is that you don't have to work around belt loops. I don't wear crotch holsters, so I cannot compare them. I assume they work best if you have a lot of spare room down there. (Just kidding!)

Paddles are great when you work in a secure place with other armed folks and can take the gun and holster off and stick them in a drawer while at the desk/in the office, but put it on quickly without undressing or being a contortionist when you need to head out on short notice. They can also be nice when you have to go in and out of places like jails, holding areas and sometimes interview rooms where the gun has to come off anyway.

Generally, you still need a belt and it needs to be fairly snug, but I don't get that "flop" kind of thing like happens with some belt holsters with a poor belt or one too loose.

Just for consideration, I have also like some of the holsters that have snap belt loops and thus go on and off quickly like a paddle, but they are dependent on belt quality and fit.

I have a G-Code paddle for Glock 19 and 17's. It has a taller or longer paddle than the Safariland's. It is also cant adjustable. I cut out and glued a Dr Scholl's memory foam insole to the inside of the paddle. That soften's the load and eliminates the slip. I'm a pretty "round" kind of guy so with it sitting right on the equator, it doesn't conceal very well.

It depends on the holster, maker and design. I have two Kramer Leather MSP Paddle Holsters that are perfect for me. Gun is tucked in close to the body, stays put in position and is comfortable to wear all day. I think most of the mass produced inexpensive kydex/plastic paddle offerings aren't thoughtfully designed or manufactured. It's just a standard holster with a paddle type device bolted onto it.

https://www.kramerleather.com/collec...paddle-holster

Image from their website:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have two Safariland ALS paddle holsters, they are easy on, not so easy off. This is a good thing, as the ALS is designed for retention. To get the damn thing off, I usually have to unbuckle my belt and undo my pants. The hook thing that secures it to your pants does it's job really well.

User Tag List