Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a dumb ? Paddle vs belt holster

I have a dumb ? Paddle vs belt holster

Have worn many owb holsters over the years. Never worn a paddle holster. My question: Lets take a Glock 19 for example. With owb holster the weight of the holster/pistol is on the belt. With a paddle holster, is it lighter in perceived weight since the belt is holding the paddle to the against hip? Just curious. Thanks in advance.....Jesse

In my personal experience, a belt holster normally requires the belt to be tight (VERY tight if using a thin belt) to hold the holster securely. No so tight with a good paddle holster BUT you will have the pressure of the paddle against your hip bone if you're thin (as I am). Just remember that not all paddle holsters are created equally. The cheap ones are flimsy and the pistol will still flop around making you feel the weight. Good ones, like the Safarilands, will be very secure.

Body build will have a lot to do with it. I'm 6'2" 185lbs so my experience may be different from someone heavier.

Paddle holsters aren't very popular for some reason. I have a few Fobus holsters but normally just use a regular OWB leather holster and a wide belt. The paddle holsters work well if you need to remove the firearm from your person to enter a restricted area or to drive for long distances. Easy on, easy off.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-20-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Paddle holsters will get you killed in the streets!

I like the feeling and ride of Safariland's 568BL paddle, but for one thing - the fixed 'FBI' cant; it's just too much; my wrist doesn't want to work that way. The 571BL does offer some cant adjustment, but it doesn't ride as well as does the larger (568BL) paddle.

If Safariland gets around to releasing a new paddle with adjustability for cant - a ('C' for 'cantable') C568BL, for example - it'll prove to be extremely popular (or at least it will with me).

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Have worn many owb holsters over the years. Never worn a paddle holster. My question: Lets take a Glock 19 for example. With owb holster the weight of the holster/pistol is on the belt. With a paddle holster, is it lighter in perceived weight since the belt is holding the paddle to the against hip? Just curious. Thanks in advance.....Jesse
    No experience with paddles, just spit balling here, but: I can't see a paddle having anything remotely to do with perceived weight. All things being otherwise equal, both (paddle, belt loop) the pistol is going to rest in the holster against the belt pretty much the same.

Just curious, why are you considering a paddle? Ease in putting on/off?

I don’t feel the paddle holsters stay as tight to the body as a good belt holster. Therefore, it is not as concealable. I like the idea of quick on and off, but there are other alternatives. There are outside the waistband holster’s with loops and snaps, which I prefer.

Just looking for opinions on the paddle holster since I’ve never used one. Advantage vs disadvantage. By the time I’m ready for the day, I am looking for options to lighten my load. Suspenders could be an option for weight mitigation. If I cinch up my belt any further, I may split in half.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Just looking for opinions on the paddle holster since I’ve never used one. Advantage vs disadvantage. By the time I’m ready for the day, I am looking for options to lighten my load. Suspenders could be an option for weight mitigation. If I cinch up my belt any further, I may split in half.
    I am completely with you.

When I carried my G19 OWB strong side behind the hip, drag and weight was a constant battle. I found I had to cinch up my belt so much to get the gun not to drop off my butt, that it bordered on being really very comfortable. I used JM CK IWB holsters but never really felt happy with how they sat on me.

I don't know if it's an option, but I discovered carrying AOWB (appendix, but outside the waistband) to be much more doable than behind the hip. I used two holsters; one was a high riding leather OWB from Mitch Rosen called the "Upper Limit" (credit to @GJM for suggesting it), the other was RCS's Perun. The Perun was slightly lighter being a polymer. These both use belt loops.

The only disadvantage for AOWB was that the bottom of the slide of the holster could peek out from my cover garment getting in and out of the truck, so I had to watch that. Otherwise I carried that way for the majority of the time I was on the road in an RV for extended travel. It worked well.

I've since transitioned over to a G48 AIWB, which I vastly prefer these days.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-21-2021 at 06:21 AM.

I’ve used paddles on and off over the years, and have noticed one thing - a sensation of rotation when I move. It’s small and probably doesn’t affect anything, but it’s one of those things that once you feel it…

My biggest issue with paddles is that they generally don’t ride as closely as a well designed belt loop holster, especially for the Safariland ALS models that make up all of my paddles. I do have one oddball Safariland that isn’t as bad, it’s a 7TS ALS for the Glock 43 that has a small, tight paddle - but I’m sure gun size is playing a major part here.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List