Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More gun control enacted in Colorado

Site Supporter

More gun control enacted in Colorado

Anyone who lives or visits Colorado should be aware of the linked information.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/co...19/id/1025685/

Most significantly, localities are no longer pre-empted by state law from enacting their own gun control. Those who carry concealed will need to be aware of when they cross local borders, and the laws within those borders.

I've always wondered what an "expanded" background check is? You would think NICS would be enough. I fantasize that their Health and Environment Dept. spends the 3 million and pulls a Jon Loot "More guns, less crime" conclusion, then I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've always wondered what an "expanded" background check is? You would think NICS would be enough. I fantasize that their Health and Environment Dept. spends the 3 million and pulls a Jon Loot "More guns, less crime" conclusion, then I wake up.
    You've probably figured it out by now but in case anyone else wants to know it's a state BC. The FFL doesn't contact NICS, they contact the state and the state runs the BC with NICS and all of the state records. That may even include access to your health records in some states like WA.

I'm not up to speed on CO law but they've been a POC ( point of contact ) state for awhile. They're probably looking at even more records now like no contact orders and health records. The state issues the proceed, not NICS.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...n-map.pdf/view

It's ironic that many mass shooters pass background checks, even enhanced BC's, but nobody ever talks about that.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-20-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Double post
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Eliminating state preemption is particularly insidious. Rather than a Berlin Wall around an entire state, it's as if there's one around every county or city. This is precisely the sort of thing you'd want to enact to severely punish the citizenry for even thinking about exercising certain rights.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Eliminating state preemption is particularly insidious. Rather than a Berlin Wall around an entire state, it's as if there's one around every county or city. This is precisely the sort of thing you'd want to enact to severely punish the citizenry for even thinking about exercising certain rights.
    It definitely is. State preemption is a relatively new thing, I think. I know in AL knife laws could vary depending on which county or even city you were in. Still do, AFAIK. Your CCW permit doesn't cover knives, either, so that's not an out. Gun laws used to be the same in a lot of places.

Folks new enough to how this game is played can take a gander at this: https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

That's where it ends. Not enough to know the state laws of any state you're passing though but now you need to know the same for every city, county, etc. Fun stuff. Sucks for the people in Colorado. For anyone that's gotten started in the shooting world over the last 20 years if you live in some states you might get a chance to experience how shitty it was back in the 80s and 90s first hand. Only this time with less grunge rock or hair metal.

As an added bonus, this only allows for laws that are more restrictive, not more 2A friendly.

Site Supporter
    It's tragic. One of the most beautiful states, a place I love to visit, becomes NYC with the swish of a pen.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yup, that’s what happened in Virginia.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    From what I can tell, “expanded” is more of a marketing term. What the change does seem to do is:
    - includes more “violent misdemeanors“ as criteria for failing the background check. Including misdemeanor assault, animal cruelty, and “bias-motivated crimes”, whatever those are.
    - expressly prohibits transfer of a firearm when there is a delay in the state completing the background check. No more 3-day limit per the Federal law. Apparently now, if the background check takes two weeks (which it has several times for me) or more, you just have to suck it up and wait. Also extended the required time for the state to respond to an appeal of a failed background check from 30 days to 60 days.

These are definitely erosions of CO citizens rights to (legally) acquire firearms.

Also not happy about the state preemption law being repealed. I suspect this was a direct result of the local “assault weapons” ban being overturned in Boulder, about a week before the shooting there in March. You know the one - where the guy was of Middle Eastern descent and Muslim? But none of that was mentioned in the news, and the whole story went into the memory hole as soon as that information came out?

User Tag List