Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

For clarifications sake.

The extended firing pin is an aftermarket option, or does the gun come with that installed from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    For clarifications sake.

The extended firing pin is an aftermarket option, or does the gun come with that installed from the factory?
    To the best of my recollection, and I haven't checked in a while, both CZCustom and Cajun Gun Works offer it as a stand alone part, as part of upgrade kits, and as part of upgrade services. I don't know of any factory pistols that come with the extended firing pin installed, althouth that is nowhere near definitive.

Aftermarket only. It turns what should be an inertial firing pin into a direct impact system.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hammer was down, pistol fell on the hammer and the hammer strike on the extended firing pin makes enough contact to fire the primer.

After the incident, people tested a similar setup with a mallet and were able to reproduce it with the extended firing pin but not with the stock pin.

I wish people would stop putting in the extended pins. They’re not necessary anyway.
    I switched one of my Shadows to a standard setup two years ago. A CZC firing pin got stuck in its hole, protruding from a breach face, during a class. Had to hammer it out. Put back a regular pin / spring, with 11 lbs mainspring, and actually forgot about it until that accident in NYS. Both of my guns have been just fine with 11 lbs hammer springs; now I run 14 and 15 so it is even less of an issue.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

First range trip with the new Shadow 2 Orange

I shot the new S2O for the first time today after work, along with the AccuShadow 2 and an H&K VP9. No surprises in that it ran 100%, very smooth and with almost no recoil. Hey…It’s a Shadow 2!!

First, the alibis. I want to try to give as fair an assessment of this pistol as I can. Therefore I need to give an assessment of the shooter. I am at best a decent shot who takes his time to line up the sights and shoots deliberately. I am 55 years old with job related aches and pains from being a mechanic for 37 years: back problems, shoulder issues and hands that are pretty beat up, and eyes that have seen better days. On top of all that I haven’t shot pistol in a few months, and it showed in my trigger discipline, which wasn’t great today. If I had to use an analogy I would say I am like a duffer golfer who spends stupid money on first class equipment because he likes nice hardware. The hardware helps somewhat, but I am still a duffer.

I shot noticeably better with the AccuShadow today, with tighter groups and fewer flyers. After shooting 15 rounds or so with the S2O to get a feel for it I traded off pistols, shooting 5 rounds at 7 yards at one target with one pistol, then 5 rounds at another target with the other. Ended up shooting 15 rounds with the AccuShadow and 20 with the S2O to finish up the box. With the AccuShadow I kept all but 3 rounds inside the 10 ring, with the worst 2 inside the 8 ring, pretty good for me. Rounds were mostly centered in a nice cluster around the bull with others spreading out to the left just a bit.

With the S2O I kept all but three inside the 9 ring as well, but the group was noticeably bigger as the outer shots were on the top and bottom of the 8 ring, with the rest not as nicely clustered and not as many Xs. Still, pretty darn good for me. Shooting over a bag with my wrists rested, except for a couple shots than ended up low but still in the 8 ring at 12 yards because the mag buttplate was actually sitting on the bag, all single action, 12 rounds were inside the 10 ring with one in the 9 ring.

A few things come to mind. Both these pistols have WAY more potential than I am capable of taking advantage of! I am not worthy :P!! A much better shooter than me is required to even begin to get close to the capabilities of these guns. Second, I am sure I shot the AccuShadow better because it had a much lighter trigger as I had traded out the stock mainspring for an 11.5 lb one (IIRC). The difference was mainly felt while shooting in double action, which I had done on the first shot of 5 while swapping out pistols at 7 yards. The difference was less noticeable in single action, but it was still there. Both triggers are very smooth, with the single action being outstanding, a bit of a rolling let off with a clean break. Reset was very short and tactile. One thing I really like about the AccuShadow trigger better than the S2O and my blue/black Shadow 2 is that the trigger breaks a bit farther from the frame on the AccuShadow which for some reason helps me shoot better. I do think the S20 demonstrated excellent potential, even with me not having a great day at the range, and not being familiar with the specifics of the trigger. To be fair I haven’t put more then 4-500 rounds through the AccuShadow either so I am not really familiar with that trigger either although I shot it much better today than the S2O.

I will swap out the mainspring on the new S2O before the next range session, and will extend the range to challenge myself a bit more. Shooting at 7 & 12 yards with these pistols is a bit of a joke as they are capable of shooting very accurately at longer ranges. Question is: is the shooter?!

Made another trip to the range a few days ago after swapping out the mainspring for what appeared to be the lightest one. Results were a noticeably lighter trigger that is a bit smoother than the AccuShadow trigger, although maybe still a bit heavier. After all was said and done shooting offhand at 12 yards and over a bag at 15 resulted in very similar results. I haven't made any efforts to fund an ammo that it may prefer, just shooting whatever I have on hand. Very happy with the new S2O!

User Tag List