Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I did the mods suggested on the CZ forum, evidently before this tragic event. I will swap out the firing pins back to the stock length when I get a chance.

Much appreciated.

You might install the firing pin block using a lighter spring as sold by Cajun. That would eliminate risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use the OEM firing pins, and light CGW return springs. That combo works with a 11.5# hammer spring.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You might install the firing pin block using a lighter spring as sold by Cajun. That would eliminate risks.
    There is no FP safety plunger on a S2.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

I use the OEM firing pins, and light CGW return springs. That combo works with a 11.5# hammer spring.
    Note that with this combo you need to replace the hammer spring regularly to prevent light strikes. Maybe every 20k rounds/dryfires, or when it is 2 coils short. Don’t ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I wish people would stop putting in the extended pins. They’re not necessary anyway.
    Unless something in the mods is changing the depth of the firing pin tunnel, I don't understand why a lengthened firing pin is needed. Never having had a CZ slide apart I don't know the answer to this.

Again, never having been in a metal CZ, is the trigger return spring a fiddly thing to replace? I've swapped from safety to decocker on the 07 and 09 but never messed with the metal framed pistols. I hear anything dealing with the sear cage is a beating to deal with but not much on the rest of the guts.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Unless something in the mods is changing the depth of the firing pin tunnel, I don't understand why a lengthened firing pin is needed. Never having had a CZ slide apart I don't know the answer to this.
    You can use very light hammer springs. Like 8#, and still get reliable ignition. I do not use the extended FP anymore, but it was nice.

You can use very light hammer springs. Like 8#, and still get reliable ignition. I do not use the extended FP anymore, but it was nice.
    Ok, I think I get it. Extend the fp to compensate for the lighter (and possibly shorter?) spring.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

When I did the firing pin and springs change out I did so at the suggestion of some knowledgeable members over at the CZ forum, and didn't ask questions. It appeared these changes were standard mods on these pistols in order to lighten the trigger pull and help control the pistol during recoil, much like installing a 'D' spring on a Beretta 92. I was very happy with the results, and assumed that those more knowledgeable than me had their reasons for doing so. I am very grateful for learning what I have learned from this thread.

Other than grip color, what are the meaningful differences between the Shadow pistols, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Other than grip color, what are the meaningful differences between the Shadow pistols, please?
    The blue/black is a standard Shadow 2.

The gray is an AccuShadow 2, which has a removable 1911 style barrel bushing installed which required that the slide be machined to theoretically tighten up the barrel/slide fit; trigger work done and a competition style hammer and disconnector installed by CZ Custom. It is basically stock Shadow 2 that has competition style work done by CZ Custom, so no effort is made to select fit the slide to the frame.

The Orange is a Shadow 2 that has a select, hand fit slide/barrel/frame fit from the custom shop at the CZ factory in the Czech Republic. It also has a competition style hammer and disconnector and trigger work done, as well as highly polished frame and slide rails, interior slide and barrel, with added attention to slide/frame and barrel/slide fit. Let me tell you that this thing is TIGHT! I had to be careful when reassembling it last night because it is so tight fitting. It also features a 1911 style barrel bushing, very similar but not the same as on the AccuShadow 2. The Orange line of CZ pistols are all subject to similar attention by the CZUB custom shop.

User Tag List