Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

BItten hard by the CZ bug: New Shadow 2 Orange

Since buying the original blue/black Shadow 2 a couple of years ago I have really been bitten by the CZ bug. Several months after I bought the AccuShadow 2, originally with black grips, now with gray. I then did the normal spring changes and extended firing pin with the reduced weight spring. They are both excellent pistols with outstanding, although slightly different triggers. However, the Orange has been really intriguing, almost leading me to buy a TSO recently. However, after mulling it over it was sold in the meantime.

After work today, the first day back in a week due to vacation I made my usual stop in my nearby Sportsmans Warehouse and in the display case was a Shadow 2 Orange! And at a really good price, actually at the pre-COVID price, which was $260 less than my nearest mega gun shop listed it for. On top of that is the extra $100 I saved plus the rewards dollars! I checked it out, found it to be very smooth and VERY TIGHT!! And took it home!!

Congratulations! Nice blasters.

Now you need to conduct a super shoot-off. With pictures!
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Congratulations! Nice blasters.

Now you need to conduct a super shoot-off. With pictures!
    I will end the suspense right now. They all shoot better than I do!

Caution

Note that the Shadows don't have a firing pin block.

That coupled with the extended firing pin (which isn't necessary anyway) makes these guns decidedly NOT drop safe and a drop on the hammer earlier this year caused an ND which killed an RO.

So maybe consider going back to standard firing pins.

I switched all my competition guns back to standard pins and haven't noticed any reduced reliability of ignition.

Nice! Local place has a Shadow 2 SAO that’s calling me but I’ve resisted so far...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Note that the Shadows don't have a firing pin block.

That coupled with the extended firing pin (which isn't necessary anyway) makes these guns decidedly NOT drop safe and a drop on the hammer earlier this year caused an ND which killed an RO.

So maybe consider going back to standard firing pins.

I switched all my competition guns back to standard pins and haven't noticed any reduced reliability of ignition.
    How awful! I hadn't heard of this.

Did the pistol fall on the hammer? If so was the hammer in the clocked position, or was it down? Was it the inertia of the firing pin that set off the round?

What a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    How awful! I hadn't heard of this.

Did the pistol fall on the hammer? If so was the hammer in the clocked position, or was it down? Was it the inertia of the firing pin that set off the round?

What a terrible thing.
    Hammer was down, pistol fell on the hammer and the hammer strike on the extended firing pin makes enough contact to fire the primer.

After the incident, people tested a similar setup with a mallet and were able to reproduce it with the extended firing pin but not with the stock pin.

I wish people would stop putting in the extended pins. They’re not necessary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hammer was down, pistol fell on the hammer and the hammer strike on the extended firing pin makes enough contact to fire the primer.

After the incident, people tested a similar setup with a mallet and were able to reproduce it with the extended firing pin but not with the stock pin.

I wish people would stop putting in the extended pins. They’re not necessary anyway.
    Thank you for the information. I did the mods suggested on the CZ forum, evidently before this tragic event. I will swap out the firing pins back to the stock length when I get a chance.

Much appreciated.

Another question comes to mind: did you reinstall the stock firing pin return spring?

I use the OEM firing pins, and light CGW return springs. That combo works with a 11.5# hammer spring.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List