Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Multiple Biker Riders Run Over in Show Low AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I attended a course for police bike officers put on by an International Police Mountain Bike Association instructor many years ago really never agreed with the whole 'take the lane' thing' cuz who is going to win that battle? Cyclist may be legally correct, but they'll still be dead or seriously injured.
    IMO, it really depends on the situation. For example, if you’re coming to an intersection with a left-turn lane, it’s often safer to be in the left-turn lane than to try to turn left across traffic from the right shoulder. If there’s a right-turn lane and you’re going straight, the right side of the straight lane may be a better option than the right shoulder.

There are lots of variables: lane design, traffic density, traffic speed, etc.

I do try to stay on the right edge of the lane and hold a good line so cars can get by.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    if you’re coming to an intersection with a left-turn lane, it’s often safer to be in the left-turn lane than to try to turn left across traffic from the right shoulder.
    I might even upgrade your "often" to "always" except that there's an exception for every rule.

If there’s a right-turn lane and you’re going straight, the right side of the straight lane may be a better option than the right shoulder.
    This one is especially true if you're coming up to a red light - I feel that there's no sense in blocking people from turning right.

I do try to stay on the right edge of the lane and hold a good line so cars can get by.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I know they were within their legal rights. But taking up an entire land on a two-land road and pedaling along at maybe 15- 20 MPH on a 55-limit road is asking to die. Being legally right and dead seems stupid. I hope that they had to stop and change their skivvies.
    I am a former competitive cyclist who used to spend 15+ hrs a weeks training on local (mostly rural) roads. Few things annoy me more than seeing a large group of cyclists taking up a full lane (especially when it is curvy or unsighted) just because they can and were going to prove it, not even acknowledging the cars or making any attempt to let traffic by safely. I felt like they were a major reason people in cars dislike cyclists. Yes it is legal to do so, just not very smart or considerate.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List