Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Biker Riders Run Over in Show Low AZ

Name:  879FB596-1394-4F1E-A0C4-66B658EE2A72.jpeg
Views: 191
Size:  72.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Just so we're clear on this, it's only male bikers who offend your sensibilities, then? Women are fine to wear lycra?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Women are fine to wear lycra?
    Some can, others shouldn't. Sadly, the latter tend to do so on a regular basis, usually at Walmart.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I used to ride and race road and mountain bikes.

One time, on a road ride near North Conway NH, some knuckledragger (going the other direction) threw a wrapped BK Whopper at me. I watched it come unwrapped in mid air, and the the sandwich came apart in mid air.

It was kind of funny because I knew it would miss me and I figured the guy now didn’t have his lunch. Lettuce, tomato, onions, “meat like substance” I could count the number of pickle slices.

I was not in the middle of the road either.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Some can, others shouldn't. Sadly, the latter tend to do so on a regular basis, usually at Walmart.
    People of Walmart are their own special category, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's, in my experience, a perceptible smugness that they own as much of the road as they want and you'll just have to wait for them to deign to give you an option to pass.

There's a difference between acting like "we share the road", and "fuck you...it's our road". I've met both sorts and it's not hard to tell pretty quickly what you're dealing with.

I live in a mountain biking mecca...people come from all over to bike here...on the road and on the trails. My radar is keenly attuned.

That said, I have always enjoyed riding...though it's not something I am active in these days. (And never group rides.)
    I attended a course for police bike officers put on by an International Police Mountain Bike Association instructor many years ago really never agreed with the whole 'take the lane' thing' cuz who is going to win that battle? Cyclist may be legally correct, but they'll still be dead or seriously injured.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I attended a course for police bike officers put on by an International Police Mountain Bike Association instructor many years ago really never agreed with the whole 'take the lane' thing' cuz who is going to win that battle? Cyclist may be legally correct, but they'll still be dead or seriously injured.
    It's the same with motorcycles- there's some situations where you may wind up dead right.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's the same with motorcycles- there's some situations where you may wind up dead right.
    I rely on three things 1) 'ride like you are invisible' 2) self-commentary to keep me looking for DWHUA motorists and 3) speed to enable me to get out of other motorists blind spots and stay ahead of packs.

ETA: That being said, my club has, IMO, been guilty of causing traffic congestion on group rides because of some members insistence to ride the speed limit when in fact the flow of traffic is 5-7 faster. There are several guys I no longer ride with because I feel their riding style - slow on highway speed roads - makes it unsafe for folks on the road around them. They get three or four cars piled up behind them, someone gets impatient and makes an unsafe pass, next thing you know you've got an injury accident or fatality.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 06-21-2021 at 11:44 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    I don't believe I've ever seen anyone biking while wearing a banana hammock. You must live in a truly special place.
    He may be referring to the guys who run next to racers at major races. Like a lot of other sports, cycling has some weird hangers-on.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    There's lot of discussion on the psychology of what motivates those feelings -- jealousy of being free and enjoying ourselves, perception that cyclists are scofflaws that get away with breaking the law, guilt about not exercising, not paying our fair share of taxes, and so on.
    This whole paragraph is "the most cyclist thing ever," and really captures why people hate cyclists.

The entire premise of this paragraph is that cyclists are obviously superior to everyone else, and we all just want to be something we can't obtain because we aren't good enough and end up hating you all for it....

...when in reality, it's probably just that roads are designed and primarily purposed for cars, people are trying to get places, and you've got this gaggle of smug motherfuckers taking up half the road virtue-signaling about how they're enjoying themselves while eating exhaust fumes when they're really just on some shitty road that I can't for the life of me imagine why I'd ever be caught on it if it wasn't for the sake of needing to get from point A to point B. Then, when you are finally able to pass them safely, they give you dirty looks.

I swear to god, if it were legal, cyclists would bike on Route 66 and 495 during rush hour and be like, "WHAT I'M JUST TRYING TO ENJOY MYSELF AND MY OPEN AIR FREEDOM OF ADVENTURE!" Looking from the outside in, it just seems like cyclists on well travelled public roads want to engage in some sort of victim-complex than anything.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I like to bicycle (not very dilligent right now...) and motorcycle (dabbled in roadracing a couple of seasons, getting back into street riding).

I always thought it was a weird, twisted irony that Nicky Hayden got killed on a bicycle, but it turned out he blew a stop sign.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...y-hayden-crash

ETA: Yeah, those are slider pucks on his ELBOWS....

User Tag List