Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Biker Riders Run Over in Show Low AZ

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty common, and we cyclists are aware of the hateful feelings towards us. There's lot of discussion on the psychology of what motivates those feelings -- jealousy of being free and enjoying ourselves, perception that cyclists are scofflaws that get away with breaking the law, guilt about not exercising, not paying our fair share of taxes, and so on.
    Let's see... I drive a two wheel vehicle with a motor, so I'm not jealous of the freedom and self enjoyment... I exercise with other means, and the amount of road tax I pay for my two wheeled motorized conveyance is minimal...

Anyway, personally, the irritation is not due to jealousy, but here is one of many incidents will serve to illustrate my problem with a certain small portion of the cyclist population.

A number of years back, my family was driving up the San-Cap road to meet our fishing guide to get some fish in the flats around Captiva. Not that it's a two lane road with a 45 limit, and it's a very busy road, being the only way to Captiva. However, we were late despite our what should have been a very ample start because some Lance Armstrong LARPer, down to the yellow jersey, felt he had the privilege to self righteously occupy the road, and not let any of those ebil cars and truck pass. And there was a huge line of cars and trucks behind this moron.

Mind you, Sanibel is covered in nice, smooth, and wide bike paths. But Wannabe Lance thought himself too good for those- even if his pace was best described as "elderly", and 9 year old kids on fixies were passing him on the bike path.

So, if you aren't this jerk, pedal on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    When I lived there, central NC cyclists were BAD about exactly that (to the point where it was rare to come across a cyclist who DIDN'T have that attitude).
    There's a great motorcycling, driving, and biking road about a mile away from my house in the US, and it's not all that far from the Central FL cycling Mecca of Sugarloaf "Mountain". And since the roads tend to be backcountry, rural, and out of the way, it's understandable and expected to see a lot of cycle traffic on these roads- and one does make allowances for them. Since it's a fairly underused road, one can pass even the biggest road hog without too much danger.

It's when the Lance LARPers deliberately and self righteously lane hog those two lane, no shoulder roads that are the only real traffic option- and are typically full of traffic- that it gets irritating.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I ride a lot, and have real mixed feelings about group rides.

On the plus side, I like learning new routes. I like the social aspect. I like the working together — being in a pace line that’s tight and fast and smooth is exhilarating. I like the energy at group events. I like teaching and learning.

But more often than not, I end up angry and frustrated at the bad behavior I see. No lane discipline, ignoring traffic signs & signals, and general rudeness toward other road users. Is it really that hard to stop at a stop sign, or slide right when someone yells “car back”? Arrgghh.

So mostly I ride alone.

That said, any asshole who deliberately targets cyclists with a motor vehicle deserves to have their hide nailed to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But more often than not, I end up angry and frustrated at the bad behavior I see. No lane discipline, ignoring traffic signs & signals, and general rudeness toward other road users. Is it really that hard to stop at a stop sign, or slide right when someone yells “car back”? Arrgghh.
    On my ride this afternoon after work, I was behind a guy on an e-bike for a while. He was blowing through stop signs on said e-bike, and thus kept getting away from me. (I stopped for all of the stop signs he ignored.) The thing that kept angrily running through my mind was of course that given the electric motor assist, he REALLY had no excuse whatsoever for that behavior. Conservation of momentum is a thing, but the assist really minimizes the penalty for stopping. At least when I passed him and never saw him again I got to feel smug about my fitness being better than his laziness.

Me: So, what kind of exercise do you do?

Patient: Oh, I bicycle a lot in Phoenix!

Me: Oh, cool!

Patient: I have a recumbent bike!

Me: Oh, no....

Patient: ...but I have tall flags on my bike!

Me: no, no, no, no.....

Site Supporter
    I did a race a couple of years ago put on by the folks who put on RAAM (Race Across America). It was a "short" race by their standards, only about 200 miles. A bunch of those folks were running racing recumbents. Those things can move!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    there's definitely something tangibly annoying about cyclists that is absent the other things you mentioned. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it.
    It’s the fucking banana hammocks, and the problem is that I -can- put my finger on it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It’s the fucking banana hammocks, and the problem is that I -can- put my finger on it.
    I don't believe I've ever seen anyone biking while wearing a banana hammock. You must live in a truly special place.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I don't believe I've ever seen anyone biking while wearing a banana hammock. You must live in a truly special place.
    Plum smugglers, then. Have it your way.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Plum smugglers, then. Have it your way.
    Just so we're clear on this, it's only male bikers who offend your sensibilities, then? Women are fine to wear lycra?

User Tag List