Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple Biker Riders Run Over in Show Low AZ

A friend got lightly bumped a couple of weeks ago on the Natchez Trace, which is popular with cyclists. And not so heavily traveled as to make it hard to swing wide around a cyclist or three.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Sure. I've ridden a couple thousand miles (or more) on 2 lane country roads with no paved shoulders. I generally feel safer out there than around the suburbs or the city.

So you don't think an event with a couple thousand cyclists enjoying the roads that their taxes paid for is worth a 5 minute delay?
    I don't think I have any say in the matter. I'll let the insurance companies work it out. I think I know where the lability will fall by having uncertified flaggers controlling traffic though. If I were an attorney that would be the first question I would ask.

We all pay our taxes and leverage whatever little enjoyment we can find while doing that.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"The suspect, identified as 35-year-old Shawn Michael Chock of White Mountain Lakes, was hospitalized in critical but stable condition."

My brother has been a sponsored rider for years. There is a pervasive attitude in rural areas that cyclists don't belong on some roads, or in packs. Using the front end of your vehicle to prove your point is the very definition of redneck, Cro-Magnon, neanderthal behavior. I hope he gets everything he deserves.

Unqualified, non-LEO opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    leaning on my horn. There was a drop-off to the right; if there had been traffic coming the other way, I would have plowed right through them and probably would have killed a few.

I know they were within their legal rights. But taking up an entire land on a two-land road and pedaling along at maybe 15- 20 MPH on a 55-limit road is asking to die. Being legally right and dead seems stupid. I hope that they had to stop and change their skivvies.
    I don't disagree with you that they were being stupid, but given my own internal reaction when someone honks at me for what seems to me to be no reason, I imagine they just thought you were being an asshole, and their behavior is unlikely to have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    In my area USBR 76 travels along mostly two-lane county roads with no shoulders. On one particular section east of Nickerson, KS, the road gently undulates in several sections. My concern is that a driver in a car might not see a bicylist who was at the bottom of the dip until it was too late. The section that goes through the Quivira National Refuge is actually on wqhat might be called a back road super highway. This section which has absolutely no shoulders, often sees traffic well above the 55mph speed limit.

In my mind it's miraculous that no one has splattered a bicyclist in the area.
    Riding a road like that would definitely make me nervous. I very much prefer to ride on a decent sized paved shoulder so that there's a clear delineation between "cars go here" and "cars don't go here," and that goes double or triple for roads with speed limits that high.

Is a road closed for 5 minutes that big of an inconvenience? What about when a train comes, or there is construction? And it's not only cyclists. I've done a million running races and triathlons. The Marine Corps Marathon and the Army 10 Miler shut down many roads in the DC area on a Sunday morning. So did the Pride parade the weekend before last, and Juneteenth parade last weekend, and the million mom march and the... So do cops when they pull over a car for a speeding ticket. Same when a car breaks down on a busy road. Yeah, it's an inconvenience.
    Now, I'm not advocating for road rage against cyclists......and I've never felt the need to run them over.....

...but...

there's definitely something tangibly annoying about cyclists that is absent the other things you mentioned. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Mom was a dispatcher with Show Low PD. Dad was a deputy with Navajo County SD. I lived in Show Low as a teen in the late 70s. I don't recognize any of the landmarks in the photos.

I used to ride my bike to work in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale) and to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Port Orchard to Bremerton). I've been hollered at, spit on and intentionally run off the road. Sunnyvale was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Now, I'm not advocating for road rage against cyclists......and I've never felt the need to run them over.....

...but...

there's definitely something tangibly annoying about cyclists that is absent the other things you mentioned. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it.
    Yeah, that's pretty common, and we cyclists are aware of the hateful feelings towards us. There's lot of discussion on the psychology of what motivates those feelings -- jealousy of being free and enjoying ourselves, perception that cyclists are scofflaws that get away with breaking the law, guilt about not exercising, not paying our fair share of taxes, and so on.

Yeah, that's pretty common, and we cyclists are aware of the hateful feelings towards us. There's lot of discussion on the psychology of what motivates those feelings -- jealousy of being free and enjoying ourselves, perception that cyclists are scofflaws that get away with breaking the law, guilt about not exercising, not paying our fair share of taxes, and so on.
    Do you also crossfit and eat vegan? I bet you're a firefighter too. You're starting to sound persecuted. Perhaps the LGBTQ community could add a letter for you? LGBTQC?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

It's, in my experience, a perceptible smugness that they own as much of the road as they want and you'll just have to wait for them to deign to give you an option to pass.

There's a difference between acting like "we share the road", and "fuck you...it's our road". I've met both sorts and it's not hard to tell pretty quickly what you're dealing with.

I live in a mountain biking mecca...people come from all over to bike here...on the road and on the trails. My radar is keenly attuned.

That said, I have always enjoyed riding...though it's not something I am active in these days. (And never group rides.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's, in my experience, a perceptible smugness that they own as much of the road as they want and you'll just have to wait for them to deign to give you an option to pass.

There's a difference between acting like "we share the road", and "fuck you...it's our road". I've met both sorts and it's not hard to tell pretty quickly what you're dealing with.

I live in a mountain biking mecca...people come from all over to bike here...on the road and on the trails. My radar is keenly attuned.

That said, I have always enjoyed riding...though it's not something I am active in these days. (And never group rides.)
    When I lived there, central NC cyclists were BAD about exactly that (to the point where it was rare to come across a cyclist who DIDN'T have that attitude).
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

User Tag List