Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McCloskeys plead on misdemeanor charges; pay $2750 total fines

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    If he turned in an actual SP1, I really hope some cop can save it.
    Given that the case is resolved, evidence should now be at least possible to get returned to its owner, no?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just for perspective, $2750 is probably somewhere between half a day and a day of billable time for lawyers of the caliber the McCloskeys would have representing them in this situation. I'd be surprised if it breaks out of the bottom half of single digits as a percentage of their total legal costs. In context, this is no permanent consequences, a slap on the wrist fine, and have a nice day. In other words, a win.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    olstyn says :

"Given that the case is resolved, evidence should now be at least possible to get returned to its owner, no?"

No return of the guns. Both the media reports and the docket sheet indicate that they surrendered the "firearms" as part of the plea.

OJ says- "Just for perspective, $2750 is probably somewhere between half a day and a day of billable time for lawyers of the caliber the McCloskeys would have representing them in this situation. I'd be surprised if it breaks out of the bottom half of single digits as a percentage of their total legal costs. In context, this is no permanent consequences, a slap on the wrist fine, and have a nice day. In other words, a win."

I would be surprised if the McCluskeys were paying by the hour. While I agree that a High End STL based litigator can bill and get 500@ hr, most Criminal Defense Attys bill by the job.
    I concur that this was a 25-50K case on a plea, 2x that for a trial. 4x that more for an appeal and retrial (25-50/50-100/200-400)

I once had a premier criminal defense atty represent a client in an completely uncontested Felon in Possession case with video at the scene and a video statement. It was reported that this atty charged the family (who had a prior long standing relationship with the atty via a civic organization) 15k for what was always going to be a plea. I am supremely confident that the atty in question performed his due diligence re the evidence. I am also supremely confident it did not take him 30 hrs to do so from beginning to end. I was told that that atty typically charged 20K for someone unaffiliated presuming the same procedural posture. 40K-75K for a trial depending on complexity of said FIP case and the likelihood of an appeal.

Rule Number 1- In Criminal Defense when representing individual defendants (as opposed to a corporation) as per US v. "Green"-get your entire fee up front.

Rule Number 2-Presume that all the money you are ever going to get is what you get up front. Therefore it is critical to price and collect accordingly.

Rule Number 3-Always address whether the fee covers the appeal to what level

Rule Number 4-In many if not most jurisdictions once an atty enters their appearance, they are in the case forever, to any level, forever. The Court does not care that you did not get paid in full
    or you only thought you were doing the trial, not the appeal absent very specific documentation to the contrary.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

^^^

OMG, @vcdgrips , you almost had me shedding a tear for attorneys.

Almost...

(But I will agree that a great prosecutor and a great defense counsel are gold when you need 'em. Hats off to you for doing the job. I hope it continues to be a source of satisfaction for you.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Nor should it be the 13th century when hordes of barbarians are able to rampage through cities unopposed, yet oddly they are.
    I agree. But stupidly standing on your front lawn. And grandstanding on it. Irks me. While they took preemptive measures. Ther we’re wrong in my opinion. Better to wait and see what happens and unload on the mob when it does come. Instead of standing there waiting for a good determined bum rush. They made themselves targets. Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I agree. But stupidly standing on your front lawn. And grandstanding on it. Irks me. While they took preemptive measures. Ther we’re wrong in my opinion. Better to wait and see what happens and unload on the mob when it does come. Instead of standing there waiting for a good determined bum rush. They made themselves targets. Ymmv
    Would it be gauche to have lawn jockeys holding ARs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They certainly could pay for it if they wanted. Maybe I see things differently. But they weren’t out there in a position of power but of force. They easily could have made the situation much worse. Including inciting the mob to pillage the little slice of America they live in. And while I wasn’t there. And I’m mmqb. And nothing was right about that situation. While they. were technically correct in their own actions. I fail to see any other problem than posturing on both sides. For stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    They certainly could pay for it if they wanted. Maybe I see things differently. But they weren’t out there in a position of power but of force. They easily could have made the situation much worse. Including inciting the mob to pillage the little slice of America they live in. And while I wasn’t there. And I’m mmqb. And nothing was right about that situation. While they. were technically correct in their own actions. I fail to see any other problem than posturing on both sides. For stupidity.
    I'm not advocating for them. I was making a humorous comment. (Well, I thought it was humorous.)

That said, whether or not I agree with their tactics or decision making, I don't think they should have faced any charges.

(Even more so when one considers the actions of those who have caused ordinary Americans to consider how they will face the mob when it arrives in their neighborhood or business...whether looting, trespassing, committing arson, defacing property or causing mayhem and bodily harm.)

But then Chris Cuomo has already instructed us..."Please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful."

Personally, I'm giving Buffy and Jody a pass. (And hoping they're more prepared the next time to make better decisions.)

Site Supporter
    I'm not advocating for them. I was making a humorous comment. (Well, I thought it was humorous.)

That said, whether or not I agree with their tactics or decision making, I don't think they should have faced any charges.

(Even more so when one considers the actions of those who have caused ordinary Americans to consider how they will face the mob when it arrives in their neighborhood or business...whether looting, trespassing, committing arson, defacing property or causing mayhem and bodily harm.)

But then Chris Cuomo has already instructed us..."Please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful."

Personally, I'm giving Buffy and Jody a pass. (And hoping they're more prepared the next time to make better decisions.)
    Sorry took that out of context. We live in a strange world nowadays. And it bothers me. I got your joke the second time around my apologies

Ps. Humor is sometimes lost on me 😞

Perhaps a brace of these?

Name:  Combat gnome.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  78.4 KB

P.S. I thought it was hilarious!

User Tag List