Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Tundra TRD Pro leak

Quote Originally Posted by banzaijohn View Post
    i have a 17 TRD Pro. I missed the power from the 05 TRD Sport that I gave my son, the 4.0 was an awesome motor. The problem with the 3.5 is they tuned for to far for emissions and fuel economy, versus power and driver satisfaction. The accelerator is digital, so off the line there is lag to preserve fuel economy. I installed a Pedal Commander to over ride the factory programming and improved things, but not enough.

The other problem is the gearing. The factory gearing is 3.91. It never allows the engine to use all six gears in the transmission. That’s why when new, while transmission is “learning” it constantly hunted for gears. 95% of the time it only uses 4 gears and on rare occasions the 5th, and never the 6th. I had 5.29s gears installed, I was thinking 4.88, but the shop recommended the 5.29s as the final drive ratio would be equivalent to a six speed manual Tacoma. I got a huge power boost down low where needed, improved mileage because it now utilizes all six gears, transmission works smoothly, and much better off road performance. I still turn 2100 rpms at 70 mph, get 21 mpg on the freeway versus 18-19 before. I had a tune performed to recalibrate the speedo and other settings ( no longer need the pedal commander).

One other thing is make sure you do the fuel pump recall. I noticed a slight power bump after Toyota installed the replacement. Don’t know if the old one was going bad, but it was definitely noticed.
    You have my attention. Who did the gear swap for you? Mine has a lifetime power train warranty through the dealer. I would hate to screw that up. But maybe it’s better than swapping vehicles again. My brain is saying get a 4Runner. My checking account says I’m an idiot.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    You have my attention. Who did the gear swap for you? Mine has a lifetime power train warranty through the dealer. I would hate to screw that up. But maybe it’s better than swapping vehicles again. My brain is saying get a 4Runner. My checking account says I’m an idiot.
    Sibi Built in Santa Ana. Their Sibi Tune as well. They’re on Instagram and Tacoma World

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Mods cost money. That cuts into cost per mile to operate. If you get the right vehicle you can drive them for many years without anything but routine maintenance. I had a 93 Toyota PU that had 200K on it when I sold it. I drove it for 11 years, mostly freeway. IIRC, I paid $10,400 for it and sold it for $3500. Routine maintenance was all it ever needed. Toyotas are the only vehicles that didn't cost me thousands to maintain and never left me on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Toyotas are the only vehicles that didn't cost me thousands to maintain and never left me on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsyEI78m5s

i have a 17 TRD Pro. I missed the power from the 05 TRD Sport that I gave my son, the 4.0 was an awesome motor. The problem with the 3.5 is they tuned for to far for emissions and fuel economy, versus power and driver satisfaction. The accelerator is digital, so off the line there is lag to preserve fuel economy. I installed a Pedal Commander to over ride the factory programming and improved things, but not enough.

The other problem is the gearing. The factory gearing is 3.91. It never allows the engine to use all six gears in the transmission. That’s why when new, while transmission is “learning” it constantly hunted for gears. 95% of the time it only uses 4 gears and on rare occasions the 5th, and never the 6th. I had 5.29s gears installed, I was thinking 4.88, but the shop recommended the 5.29s as the final drive ratio would be equivalent to a six speed manual Tacoma. I got a huge power boost down low where needed, improved mileage because it now utilizes all six gears, transmission works smoothly, and much better off road performance. I still turn 2100 rpms at 70 mph, get 21 mpg on the freeway versus 18-19 before. I had a tune performed to recalibrate the speedo and other settings ( no longer need the pedal commander).

One other thing is make sure you do the fuel pump recall. I noticed a slight power bump after Toyota installed the replacement. Don’t know if the old one was going bad, but it was definitely noticed.
    So, I’m going to ask a stupid question because I’m casually in the market for a Tacoma. Wouldn’t it be much easier just to get the 6 speed manual? At least to address the gearing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So, I’m going to ask a stupid question because I’m casually in the market for a Tacoma. Wouldn’t it be much easier just to get the 6 speed manual? At least to address the gearing.
    They were non-existent in 2017. They’re still very difficult to find. Driving in LA congested traffic, I preferred an automatic anyway. Most of my travel is in bumper to bumper traffic

They were non-existent in 2017. They’re still very difficult to find. Driving in LA congested traffic, I preferred an automatic anyway. Most of my travel is in bumper to bumper traffic
    I was asking more for myself (assuming I can find a manual). I would prefer to have an auto, but I absolutely refuse to tweak and tune a new vehicle. So if the only way to have an enjoyable experience out of the box is a manual then so be it.

I’d prefer a Tacoma sized truck, but I’m starting to think I’d be better off in a used F150 or Silverado.

I have 2018 4Runner, with anemic power. But I agree with you and wonder if the solution in not a more powerful engine, but instead a better transmission. The 8-speed ZF in the current BMWs is amazing. It will withstand 600+Hp and 600+Tq. It shifts well, and has a brilliant torque converter system that makes it feel like you are driving a manual. With 8 speeds, it always has an approximate gear, and locks up well for great mileage. Granted it would not be a direct fit in the 4Runner/Tacoma/Tundra. But my point is: would improving the Toyota transmission pay more benefits to drivers than just asking for a an updated engine. I bet it would.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

God it’s ugly. And it sure seems like they just tuned the motor to be slightly more powerful than the F150 hybrid that came first.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tundra/

Some interesting tech and options, and I love this possibility,

For those who are more into a go-fast look, the TRD Sport can be added to SR5 models and includes a TRD grille and wheels, as well as a lowered suspension.”

but the exterior is only surpassed by the interior with its hideousness. Do you think they could add a couple more switches, and make the “large” screen look like MORE of an afterthought?

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I rather like it, and am at worst ambivalent to some of the featuring. Given how heavily it's being compared to Ford's F-150 Powerboost option, I'd really love to see Toyota release a variant or option to compete with the 7.2 kW output Pro Power option.

Admittedly my preferences are heavily skewed towards AM General's options, but I don't see anything rancorous here.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List