Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Tundra TRD Pro leak

I'm one of the rare Americans that needs a one ton truck daily. I really wish Toyota would push into that market.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Meh. I'm not really into Toyotas and this won't push me in that direction. The new stuff coming out of Ford is more appealing to me by a good margin, but I won't make this thread about that. I don't live in a 1980's Consumer Report magazine, so I'm not worried about reliability of domestics. I'm also not particularly worried about resale value, given I'm not buying to sell and seldom change trucks. Still driving the 2012 Ram I bought new, and probably will for at least a few more years.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We bought a used 2017 F150 EcoBoost and don't regret it, but we certainly won't keep it past 150K and probably not past 120K.

I am very much interested in this next generation Tundra. We should hit 120K on the Ford in about seven years, and by that time we should have a real good read on the Tundra.

So a Tundra could very easily be my next truck, and since I'll be 56 at the time, it likely would be my last truck.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I did find an independent shop to work on my 2000 and 2005 V10, 4.30 axle 4x4 Excursions.

Aside from that Toyota probably makes sense for long term durability.

Site Supporter
    Just another data point in the reliability of snowflake Toyotas...

Recently I drove my "soon-to-be-25-years-old" 4Runner, that I purchased 19 years ago, nearly 3 hours to a mountain top near Welder's domicile, ran some of the 4x4 trails there, then drove it back at the end of the weekend. While it's not a daily driver anymore, I don't hesitate to press it into DD service when I get bored with my actual DD.

Chris

I’m glad to see that PF still delivers when it comes to butthurt from perceived slights about material purchases from some guy you think you already hate on the internet.

Just to be clear, I was singling out the Tundra specifically, not all Japanese cats and trucks, or even all Toyotas for that matter. IMO the Tundra lacks in every single way when compared to other full-size trucks, and even the perception that it delivers some increased reliability or longevity when compared to the Big 3 is (a) suspect and (b7 immaterial when so few buyers these days even keep vehicles long enough to have them paid off.

It’s not 1987 folks (even though some of you probably.ya weren’t even born then). The delta between the top and bottom end of reliability is way, way, way smaller than its ever been.

But don’t let that stop a good ole fashioned PF butthurt.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I wish Toyota would sort out the engine and transmission on the Tacoma. As a daily driver, I'm getting 17 to 18 MPG out of my 2020 Tacoma Offroad. On the interstate, I get 15. It's a great vehicle on the back roads, mountain trails, getting in around tight spots. But I would kill for more horsepower and gas millage. I would expect that MPG if I was driving a Tundra. Not in a V6 midsize truck.

I drove a new 4Runner for a couple of days. It drives so much better than my Tacoma. MPG's still sucked but at least it didn't feel like it was constantly looking for the correct gear to be in. I'm seriously considering getting rid of the Tacoma but I'm not really sure what I would get at this point. Tundra, all the horses, 4Runner, all the capability. I rarely use the bed of my truck so that leans me toward the 4Runner. Plus it's much easier to maneuver on tight back roads and trails.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I have noticed that I find most new trucks ugly until they grow on me a bit. I think the current Tacoma’s look much better than the current Tundra’s so a move in that direction would appeal to me. The main issue keeping me from owning a Tundra is that their frames appear weaker than similar 1/2 ton trucks from the Big 3. Hopefully this new iteration addresses that shortcoming.

It would also be nice if their new engine is as beastly as the 5.7L was when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It’s not 1987 folks (even though some of you probably.ya weren’t even born then). The delta between the top and bottom end of reliability is way, way, way smaller than its ever been.

But don’t let that stop a good ole fashioned PF butthurt.

I bought my 2016 4Runner so I could finally unload my very nicely appointed but woefully unsatisfactory 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4 V8. "4x4" was a bit of a reach on Ford's part.

At least 1987 was a good year...I got married to a good woman and started working narcotics in Miami. I just didn't get the same car as Sonny Crockett. Oh well.

I'll stick with Toyota...thanks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Before the 2013 Tundra, I owned a 1998 Ram 1500. I was big into bird hunting at the time and ordered it special with a mostly vinyl bench seat, rubber floor and a 5 speed manual. I finally sold that truck in 2013 and it had approximately 280,000 miles on it. It was the old 318cu (5.2?) and it didn’t leak or burn any oil when I said goodbye. I still kick myself for doing it. I rolled it twice one morning outside of Rhinelander, WI on unseen sheet ice. It saved my life. As a reward to it, (plus I was flat broke at the time) I found a couple doors in Craigslist, and had a buddy fix the dished out roof and fix the rust that by then had found all the places Rams are known to rust. I had him paint it blue. (It was Forrest green to start). It was without a doubt THE best vehicle I have ever owned.

That said...

It had its flaws. I got sick and tired of replacing the ball joints. I think I did it 4 times. I knew it was time when I went over a set of railroad tracks and the steering wheel would shake like a Marrakesh belly dancer. The 4wd was activated by a vacuum switch on the front axle...replaced 3 of them. There was another issue with the steering I cannot completely recall, but do remember buying some aftermarket sleeve and spending two days in the garage putting that on.

The Tundra? I did NOTHING but put gas, oil and scheduled mx into it. It had a little less mileage on it, but mechanically, it was in better shape than the Ram at the same mileage point. I traded it in because I felt it was getting to the point where perhaps some serious coin was going to have to be invested, PLUS I require my trucks to be 200% reliable at this point in my life. I don’t want to spend hours in a garage fixing something and more importantly have to be concerned about breaking down along the road some night. Our kids live scattered around the South and Upper Midwest and the wife and I travel a BUNCH to see them.

I have a friend at work who told me in 2013 “Once you by a Toyota truck or SUV, you’ll never buy a different brand again.” He was right. Besides the Dodge, I owned Chevy, and Ford too. The last CAR I ever owned was a VW Jetta when I first graduated college. Dumped that soon after for my first truck. Never looked back.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List