Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Tundra TRD Pro leak

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think they got caught flat-footed by Ford. This new Tundra was already probably 98% ready for release, then Ford drops the "hey, you can power your whole house with this thing" feature, THEN gets some free publicity from a hurricane and someone at Toyota is getting fired.
    I think if I were to buy a hybrid it would be a Ford. This sucks. Oh what a feeling.

Going on over to research Ford in case they jack me around on the Tundra I have lined up. I still have a few weeks to figure this out.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I’m probably in the minority but I was disappointed in all of the electronics and pneumatic and hydraulic systems. The air suspension sounds cool until it goes out. I know that has long been a complaint with Mercedes.

Site Supporter
    I've been driving a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport for 3.5 years, and 70,000+ miles. Life has changed a lot for me since I purchased it. My work no longer involves lots of driving, we bought a house, and had a kid. I've been thinking about a Tundra for the extra space (and because I've been pretty impressed with the Taco).

I know aesthetics are subjective... but damn. The front end of that thing is hideous. It seems like truck manufacturers are in some sort of giant grille arms race. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I doubt it.

Arguably the least ugly trim…

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’m probably in the minority but I was disappointed in all of the electronics and pneumatic and hydraulic systems. The air suspension sounds cool until it goes out. I know that has long been a complaint with Mercedes.

There's way too much tech here to be reliable after the warranty is up. Best bet is to get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it awhile. High mileage reliability has always been Toyota's strong suit but I think that's about to change. The engine alone is enough to scare me away from buying a 2022 to drive 200K. I've had a few Toyotas that went 200K without anything but routine maintenance. This won't be one of those. My guess is most people have a perpetual vehicle loan and just trade every few years about the time the warranty is up. Lots of interest and dealer profit rolled into that scenario.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-24-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    No offense if anyone owns and loves it, but Lunar Rock is my least favorite Toyota color. My favorite color is actually Black Cherry, but they never had that on the Tundra, just the FJ's.

But like I tell customers when they pick colors on their home, don't ask me what I think - I'm not the one paying for it. White cabinets wouldn't be my first choice either, but we sure install a lot of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    No offense if anyone owns and loves it, but Lunar Rock is my least favorite Toyota color. My favorite color is actually Black Cherry, but they never had that on the Tundra, just the FJ's.

But like I tell customers when they pick colors on their home, don't ask me what I think - I'm not the one paying for it. White cabinets wouldn't be my first choice either, but we sure install a lot of 'em.
    People love to have someone tell them what they should like. Realtors and car salesmen are all over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've had a few Toyotas that went 200K without anything but routine maintenance. This won't be one of those. My guess is most people have a perpetual vehicle loan and just trade every few years about the time the warranty is up. Lots of interest and dealer profit rolled into that scenario.
    I told my wife the same thing the other day. The gadgets are awesome for people who trade in every 3-5 years but could kill long term reliability.

We are approaching this situation with the wife’s car. It’s a turbo-4 MB SUV that is at the end of its warranty. Not super excited about owning it past the warranty but it has given us no problems so far so we’ll probably keep it until it proves unreliable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There's way too much tech here to be reliable after the warranty is up. Best bet is to get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it awhile. High mileage reliability has always been Toyota's strong suit but I think that's about to change. The engine alone is enough to scare me away from buying a 2022 to drive 200K. ...
    I'm a Toyota diehard and I'd typically agree with you on this. I tend to prefer that my vehicles follow the KISS principle. However, the new Tundra is reportedly heavily based on the new 300 series Global Land Cruiser - Same boxed frame (albeit longer,) same gas and hybrid engines, same 10-speed automatic and same suspension front and rear. The Land Cruiser is marketed on reliability and I don't think that Toyota would do anything to risk that reputation- It's too big of a seller outside the US market, it's an icon, and it's a halo vehicle to many enthusiasts. This gives me hope that despite the horrific grill on the new truck, it may turn out to be a stellar long-term purchase. Mike Sweers, Toyota's Chief Engineer for the US Truck division, recently gave an interview with TFLTruck where he talked about taking 40 engineers and designers from the US over to Japan to work for many months with the Land Cruiser design team. And it sounded in the interview like the US half of that team was the group getting the education. This may not result in the perfect truck for the US market, but I bet it will be a darn good vehicle.

It also gets me excited that this next Tundra will at least have a shot of mediocre aftermarket support as suspension kits, bumpers, and engine modifications could share engineering with the new Land Cruiser (that won't be coming to the US) and its Lexus LX cousin. I read somewhere that ARB will have a bumper available for the Tundra by the time it goes on sale. The 5link suspension on the back of the new truck looks identical to the one that was under my 97 80 Series, so I know aftermarket suspension mods are going to be available soon.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 2022 SR5 TRD Off Road package. It has a shot of being a second truck in my driveway. I realize this is an unpopular opinion. I'm ready for the mockery.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    I'm ready for the mockery.
    Will you be trading in your Aztec?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List