Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2022 Tundra TRD Pro leak

As a gen1 ecoboost owner I am intrigued because I think Toyota longevity reputation has merit as well as the refined design track record. However I have been forced into reality with my experience with one of their other vehicles having some pretty costly repair issues. That said, I think this Toyota vehicle has stayed "nicer" (interior/exterior and electronics) longer than its domestic counterpart would have. Just like with Todd Green's (peace be upon him) statement on there being no perfect gun brand, all manufactured goods will be prone to imperfections. Have to try and be a smart consumer and research ahead of time as best as possible, and not be quick in early adoption of new tech before it gets vetted in the marketplace.

I enjoyed this video a lot, with the chief engineer. Dude seems like a truck guy himself and it's interesting to see some of the backstory on a few design choices.

--Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I rather like it, and am at worst ambivalent to some of the featuring. Given how heavily it's being compared to Ford's F-150 Powerboost option, I'd really love to see Toyota release a variant or option to compete with the 7.2 kW output Pro Power option.

Admittedly my preferences are heavily skewed towards AM General's options, but I don't see anything rancorous here.
    When you get down to it, I'll need a truck for several almost near-future projects that are going to be necessary means to distant ends. But, I don't really need a lot of truck. (Frankly, the majority of what I'd need out of a truck would be satisfied by a Subaru Impreza WRX with a Smyth Ute kit installed, but for that price I might as well try to get something more modern.)

That said, some light searching has a few positive notes.

While Ford doesn't appear to be expanding the PowerBoost line a la F-150 ( https://www.google.com/search?q=site...h=544&dprH=1.5 ), Toyota has been quietly offering factory 1500W inverter options for the Sienna, Highlander, RAV4 Prime, and the obscure Mirai ( https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8 ).

At this point, whomever makes a good competitor for the Ford Maverick with a hybrid gas\electric system and decent wattage output, will most likely make my next car. I'm particularly keeping tabs on the future incarnations of the Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Santa Cruz, and Toyota Tacoma.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

They sell a lot of Tundra's here in the PNW. They sell a lot more F-150's everywhere else, probably here also. I almost purchased a new 2021 Tundra ( love Toyotas) until I drove it. The rear leaf suspension was just too stiff on a county road. The ride was unbelievably bad.

Ford F-Series trucks continue to be the best-selling trucks in America and TX especially.

The Ford F-Series models almost always top pickup truck sales, which continues to be the case for 2022. During the first half of the year, Ford sold 299,345 F-Series trucks. This number represents a 17 percent decline, but that’s not enough for this truck to lose its crown.
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/best-se...rst-half-2022/

Personally, if I bought a new truck I would probably drive it for 10 years or more. I had my last one for 12 years. The resale difference at the end of 10 years for any truck will be minimal.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    God it’s ugly.
    A year later it's kinda growin' on me. But I follow a lot of Tundra pages on IG that have 'upgraded' to 2022's. So I'm not sure I like it so much as I just got used to seeing it.

Of course everything looks cooler with a lift and mods, which all these guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    A year later it's kinda growin' on me. But I follow a lot of Tundra pages on IG that have 'upgraded' to 2022's. So I'm not sure I like it so much as I just got used to seeing it.

Of course everything looks cooler with a lift and mods, which all these guys do.
    The "Trailhunter" package they debuted at Sema, if you strip away the SEMA-ness (SEMAntics? ) is exactly what the the new Tundra should look like, I think. It has the right stance/proportions.

The TRD Pros I've seen in person still seem small.

I think my biggest complaint is that the trucks blend in with Chevy/GMC/Ford a lot more. Old Tundra had a distinct look. New ones look like an amalgamation of the competitors. Like toyota put "draw a 2022 domestic half ton" into one of the AI animation engines and just rolled with what came out.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List