Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Portland back in the news

It's pretty common in the third world to call your private security company before you'd ever call the cops.
    Goes with the walled compounds, night security guards, and bars on the windows.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    My favorite quote in the article…

Before Burke calls the police, she said, she will always call Echelon. She said their guards are fast and responsive, and they treat downtown Portland’s growing homeless population with compassion. When a naked woman began licking a Society Hotel window in front of guests, Burke said guards were able to gently get her to move by making her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

If you doubt what a failed state looks like, this would Exhibit #1.
    Next step is something Haitian or Venezuelan.
    Restaurants and hotels hate this one banned trick that gets you free sandwiches....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's pretty common in the third world to call your private security company before you'd ever call the cops.
    Years ago I knew a guy that lived in Mombasa, Kenya. He told me it was popular to hire a Maasai warrior to guard your family and their living quarters. That probably put a new twist to pillaging someone's abode.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-01-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    IIRC in Massad Ayoob’s book The Truth About Self Protection in 1983 he discussed the private security firms that were being used by the wealthy rather than relying on LAPD. The article seemed pretty biased against Echelon. The funny thing was it made them sound squared away.
    Well, it's there when you need it. Kind of like a plumber when you don't have hot water or a roofer when you have a leak. Armed security that can respond has a number of advantages. 911 two hours later isn't a lot of good.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

As if anyone here is even remotely surprised by this. We all knew that the defund bandwagon would soon produce #1 private security to fill the vacuum, and #2 protection rackets for those that can’t pull off #1. History: may not repeat, but always rhyming, yes?

This is not my shocked face.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    As if anyone here is even remotely surprised by this. We all knew that the defund bandwagon would soon produce #1 private security to fill the vacuum, and #2 protection rackets for those that can’t pull off #1. History: may not repeat, but always rhyming, yes?

This is not my shocked face.
    I guess the big question is how many of the politicians pushing this (or their owners) understand what it means, and how many of those intend to use the chaos to further cement their power.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Portlanders love the third world lifestyle: apartments in downtown, food carts, bicycles for transportation , and not taking showers every day to save the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Portlanders love the third world lifestyle: apartments in downtown, food carts, bicycles for transportation , and not taking showers every day to save the environment.
    There's first world food carts, and there's the third world roadside stand selling the world famous Flavorless Sausage of Questionable Origin, handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene, cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.
    Sometimes they dip them in batter and deep fry them, which sounds 100x better than it winds up actually tasting. Because it was fried two days ago, in stale oil that's a bit too cold. Best to stick with bananas and green coconuts.

Occasionally, they may have lamb flaps. This is a cheap bit of fat, gristle and bone with the occasional sliver of meat, also handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene and cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.

It didn't take me long to learn that for long road trips, I should take navy biscuits and canned meat (John West tomato & capsicum tuna for the win).

And I wonder why my digestive system is so messed up.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I guess the big question is how many of the politicians pushing this (or their owners) understand what it means, and how many of those intend to use the chaos to further cement their power.
    How does that Hanlon saying go? Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. As to the second question, never let a good crisis go to waste.

Clearly, I have no original thoughts on the matter, but no loss: the above quotes will do for a start.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Restaurants and hotels hate this one banned trick that gets you free sandwiches....
    I might have laughed a ridiculous amount at that.

Anyways, in other news - water is wet and politicians don't give a shit as long as their pockets are lined.

User Tag List