Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portland back in the news

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Just showing up at a place like that with a rifle is pretty derpy.

Showing up at a place like that with a fake rifle is beyond derpy.
    Derpy, dopey,...inanity, insanity...let's call the whole thing off.

(Sung by Ella and Louis, of course)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Better quality pictures will show that the "rifle" is clearly an airsoft gun. FYI.

Site Supporter
    Grown man with toy gun looking like a goof that hurts nothing but his own dignity = far right extremist

Grown man with 50mW laser burning the eyes of Federal officers, or shooting marbles at them, while looting and burning whole city blocks while attacking Federal and local gov't structures = Peaceful protestor.

Yep, totally makes sense. Thank you news people!

Site Supporter
    Still a cluster https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire..._headlines_hed

Shots fired. Total failure of local and state government. Who would want to move there or establish new businesses? I really liked the place when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Shots fired. Total failure of local and state government. Who would want to move there or establish new businesses? I really liked the place when I lived there.
    Interesting tidbit out of the article Glenn linked:

"Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said Friday that despite expecting clashes, police will not necessarily be standing in between opposing groups."

Gangs of New York about to happen in Portland?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Elections have consequences

I thought this article talking about Portland's long history of far-left and far-right violence was really interesting
    https://quillette.com/2021/03/14/leaving-portland/

The West Coast north of Monterrey, California, is the America of America. In the early 1800s, people from all over the country drove covered wagons to Oregon’s Willamette Valley over the Oregon Trail, but two groups predominated: an elite from New England and a rugged class of farmers and laborers from Greater Appalachia. Both were drawn by promises of free land and hoped to make real what America’s third president Thomas Jefferson called an Empire of Liberty from the East Coast to the Pacific. Much of the western United States was inhospitable at the time (and it still is), but not the Willamette Valley. “From the fertility of its soil,” Oregon City Mayor John McLoughlin said in 1850, “and the salubrity and mildness of its climate, [Oregon is] the finest place in North America for the residence of civilized man.”

The New England elitists set much of the cultural tone here from the start. They founded universities, newspapers, religious missions, timber and woolen mills, business empires, and governing institutions. The name of Oregon’s now-largest city was determined by a coin toss when two locally famous New Englanders couldn’t agree on a name. Asa Lovejoy from Boston and Francis Pettygrove from Portland, Maine, wanted to name the new city after their respective hometowns. Pettygrove won two out of three tosses, so the United States has two Portlands instead of two Bostons. Even so, members of the local Chinook tribes commonly referred to the white settlers as “Bostons.”

But the Bostons were a minority. While they hoped to create another “city on a hill,” an even larger wave of pioneers from Greater Appalachia brought a Don’t-Tread-on-Me ethos that traced back not only to the American Revolution but to the Scottish borderlands from which many of their ancestors hailed. They “carried to Oregon an allegiance to… local sovereignty, grass-roots organization, an independent producer ethic and the ‘doctrine of the negative state,’” historian David Alan Johnson writes in Founding the Far West: California, Oregon, and Nevada.

New England has long had a utopian streak, a tendency that Senator Bernie Sanders from Vermont represents well. Appalachia was “libertarian” and anti-government before Kentucky and Tennessee were admitted to the union as states, and Senator Rand Paul represents that tendency well. The Yankee project out west was further scrambled by the Gold Rush, which brought in wild folks popularly caricatured as a barbarian horde that enjoyed knife fights and brothels a lot more than art museums and fine dining. But these diametrically opposite cultures didn’t clash as much as one might expect when they met on new ground. They blended more or less smoothly and created something new in America. Call it utopian libertarianism, individualistic collectivism, rugged idealism, or another compound of your choice so long as one half applies to Puritan Massachusetts and the other to defiant West Virginia.

The Pacific Northwest is a place where many Republicans smoke pot and plenty of Democrats shoot guns. This complicates the national culture war narrative, I suppose, but it doesn’t feel strange to those of us who are from here. For the most part, the Pacific Northwest’s regional culture combines the best of Appalachia and New England while rejecting the worst. But a small minority of the population retrieved the rejected parts of the recipe from the cutting room floor and combined the worst instead of the best, melding Kentucky’s vigilantism and feuding with New England’s Puritanism and witch hunting.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Will have to read the rest of that later.

This is the PNW I knew and loved when I grew up there:

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    For the most part, the Pacific Northwest’s regional culture combines the best of Appalachia and New England while rejecting the worst.

This is the part that people who grew up there fashionably blamed on new arrivals (specifically, mostly those from CA), at least until recently:

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    But a small minority of the population retrieved the rejected parts of the recipe from the cutting room floor and combined the worst instead of the best, melding Kentucky’s vigilantism and feuding with New England’s Puritanism and witch hunting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Portland back in the news

Sword vs. Rifle: Road rage in Portland
    A man can be seen in the middle of the road raising a sword in the air, as if preparing to swing it at another motorist who had exited his vehicle.
    https://www.beavertonian.com/sword-r...rtland-oregon/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sword vs. Rifle: Road rage in Portland
    A man can be seen in the middle of the road raising a sword in the air, as if preparing to swing it at another motorist who had exited his vehicle.
    https://www.beavertonian.com/sword-r...rtland-oregon/
    There can be only one.

User Tag List