Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Portland back in the news

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Our food carts may have 1st world food, but they have 3rd world problems...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...rts/ar-AANbljP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...art/ar-AAOZ58N
    I wish we had more food carts around my office and in downtown Seattle in general.

Enough that the prices were competitive. We've got third world bums, second world infrastructure, at first world prices here. When the Thai food truck that stops by is $17 for lunch. It's too rich for my blood and I - hate - bringing lunch to work.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I wish we had more food carts around my office and in downtown Seattle in general.

Enough that the prices were competitive. We've got third world bums, second world infrastructure, at first world prices here. When the Thai food truck that stops by is $17 for lunch. It's too rich for my blood and I - hate - bringing lunch to work.
    About the same here in Phoenix. There's virtually no difference between food truck prices and actual restaurant prices. Doesn't make sense to me. I used to sometimes get food truck food when they'd come to the hospital I work at, but the only ones that come to it now either suck or they suck AND they're too expensive for me to get. There's a lobster roll truck that occasionally comes by at $22 for a lobster roll. Out of a food truck in Phoenix in the summer, what's the worst that could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Nobody said Seattle was going to be cheap. If they did they lied.

When I was working in Snohomish County back in the 90 there was lots of construction labor who depended on the taco wagons and roach coaches that pulled up on site around noon. Some had first class Mexican food. One I hit often was more of a food bus and had the telenovelas on the TV. Nobody was speaking English except the person taking orders and just barely. That's a good sign.

That reminds me. I have to soak a pot of Pinto beans tonight. You can live on beans and rice. I like a little bacon in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-02-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    About the same here in Phoenix. There's virtually no difference between food truck prices and actual restaurant prices. Doesn't make sense to me. I used to sometimes get food truck food when they'd come to the hospital I work at, but the only ones that come to it now either suck or they suck AND they're too expensive for me to get. There's a lobster roll truck that occasionally comes by at $22 for a lobster roll. Out of a food truck in Phoenix in the summer, what's the worst that could happen?
    You're gonna die. At least that thought will be in the back of your mind.

A lot of the third world isn't cheap, either. Here, anything more than starches and garden greens is spendy, and anything that's not questionable Chinese off brands is even more spendy.

If your city is hyper expensive, crime riddled, utterly filthy, full of slums, with corrupt government officials, inefficient policing, more crime, and a handful of super expensive exclusive enclaves with massive security for the very wealthy... well, either you're in the third world, or an American People's Democratic Republic.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A lot of the third world isn't cheap, either. Here, anything more than starches and garden greens is spendy, and anything that's not questionable Chinese off brands is even more spendy.

If your city is hyper expensive, crime riddled, utterly filthy, full of slums, with corrupt government officials, inefficient policing, more crime, and a handful of super expensive exclusive enclaves with massive security for the very wealthy... well, either you're in the third world, or an American People's Democratic Republic.
    Great. I'm glad I've traveled some in North Africa and Mexico. At least I'll know what to expect.

When I'm in a wheel chair in a nursing home I can say I saw all this coming but nobody will care because they'll be too busy dealing with inflation, no gov't services, crime and corrupt politicians.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-02-2021 at 09:33 PM.

User Tag List