Thread: Safes in unheated areas.

Safes in unheated areas.

As long as I've had a safe, which has been at least 20 years, it's been in my heated basement. I've also kept a heating element in it to control moisture.

Here's my dilemma. We might be moving in the near future and I'm wondering if putting a safe in an unheated area or garage might be a mistake. We typically see 80% humidity in the winter for long periods. I suppose I could always add another Goldenrod dehumidifier and run the risk.

Eventually I would probably move it into a heated area but it might take awhile to get that accomplished.

Anyone have their safe in an unheated area where there's high humidity?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I'm in the Portland area and we also have relatively high humidity in the winter months.

I'm no expert, but I've had safes/gun cabinets in unheated garages for several years. For "long-term" storage (hunting guns that are used seasonally or stuff that for whatever reason doesn't get shot much) I typically store firearms in silicone gun socks. Everything else just kinda gets thrown in the safe. I have a couple of desiccant dehumidifier cans that I periodically "recharge" every couple of months by drying them out in the oven.

I don't know that any of this really does anything, but rust and corrosion haven't been an issue.

User Tag List