Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen at the local store - Typhoon semiautomatic shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I knew what the Typhoon is and have shot one. I still think the typhoon is dog shit marketed to people who don’t know any better or really like gas station fantasy knives.

Mag fed shotguns in general are problematic.

One could find a used 1301 for the $1k the Typhoon costs. The Stoeger 3000 TC mentioned is sub $1k - in the $500 to $600 range -a better shotgun at about half the price of the Typhoon.

The original marker for most of the AR and AK looking shotguns is countries like Turkey where smooth bores are the only civilian legal long guns and people want something that looks like an AR or AK.
    I agree with what you posted about mag-fed shotguns.

I figured someone posting asking about a specific shotgun just wanted an opinion on that shotgun rather than diatribes about Turkish shotguns in general.

Good nugget about the market for the AR/AK mag feds, I never thought of that, it makes sense.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm in a group on social media dedicated to Defensive Shotguns. The typical participant is not a sophisticated purchaser. There is a steady stream of posts about the various brand names these Turkish semi-auto guns are sold under where people are asking for help in trying to get them to function properly.

It's a fair bit different than the MKE produced roller-locked clones, unfortunately. (I own one)

Mag fed shotguns in general fail to get the point and even the very best of them (Saigas, usually) is still a roll of the dice because it's tough to get shotgun shells to work in a box magazine.
    3/15/2016

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022978068?pid=793173

What about these CZs? I am assuming these are also Turkish made, but does the CZ branded ones have a better reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022978068?pid=793173

What about these CZs? I am assuming these are also Turkish made, but does the CZ branded ones have a better reputation?
    I owned one for a little bit. It's very light for a 12ga (IMO), mine didn't like bulk Winchester but would run better on the higher quality AA (IIRC) and no one at the skeet range likes to pull for the guy with the 20" barrel. Apparently it barks more than they like.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I owned one for a little bit. It's very light for a 12ga (IMO), mine didn't like bulk Winchester but would run better on the higher quality AA (IIRC) and no one at the skeet range likes to pull for the guy with the 20" barrel. Apparently it barks more than they like.
    How do you think it would work as a general purpose/possible defensive use gun?

A number of local 3 gun shooters have been buying VR80, magazine fed shotguns, imported from Turkey. SOP is clean the packing oil off, run 200 rounds of 1,250+ ammo through them, and they run like a top. They are relatively inexpensive, as in under a grand, and have displaced all the $2,000-3,000 custom Saiga and Vepr mag fed shotguns that were being used in 3 gun open. Certainly bulky by 1301 and M2/4 standards, but reliable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think it would be adequate but I don’t know if it would cycle any kind of low recoil load. The furniture on mine was hollow plastic which made it light to carry around but might not be the best choice for a high round count class. @TCinVA can address that far better than I can.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It sounds like you were using light target loads. I wonder if using heavier loads would run the gas system better.
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-18-2021 at 07:30 AM.

MandoWookie

How do you think it would work as a general purpose/possible defensive use gun?

It looks like Nordic components makes parts to add an extension and an Aimpoint S1 could mount on the vent rib pretty easily. Though the Aimpoint would be more expensive then the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    It sounds like you were using light target loads. I wonder if using heavier loads would run the gas system better.
    Initially it was the Win bulk packs Walmart used to sell. When I switched to regular AA loads cycling improved. It may just have been that particular 712 didn’t like bargain bin bulk ammo. I’ve never seen another in the wild to compare notes with.

User Tag List