Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen at the local store - Typhoon semiautomatic shotgun

Seen at the local store - Typhoon semiautomatic shotgun

I usually don’t pay much attention to offbrand guns of any type, but the local pusher had a rack of these in different configurations. They are Turkish made. I was actually mildly impressed.

Has anyone heard anything about them?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've seen them and played around with them but same as you have not taken them all to seriously
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There is a metric fuckload of cheap turkish-made shotguns out there in the world right now.

The vast majority of them are dogshit and can be counted on to fail if you actually shoot them.

If you want a semi-automatic shotgun, the 1301 or the M4 are the gold standard. I'd argue the 1301 bests the M4 in that regard.

The only turkish one I'd look at right now is the Stoeger M3000...and that's basically a Beretta 1201 with a better aftermarket. You can actually put a Magpul SGA on them.

Any other of these johnny-come-lately brands is highly likely to be within $150 of the price of that Stoeger, only with a significantly lower chance of actually functioning properly should you expect it to shoot.

This wave of dogshit shotguns is designed to do one thing: Get somebody to buy a mostly useless hunk of pot metal and plastic at a sizable markup on the basis that the buyer will check the "bought a shotgun" box and never actually use the thing.
    3/15/2016

Why does the above even need to be said?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Why does the above even need to be said?
    One could say the same thing about dating strippers, drinking large amounts of cheap hootch, or eating Taco Bell. The cheap has a powerful yet perverse appeal, and it's tempting to think that this time will be different!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I don't disagree with most of what has been posted, however, I'm getting the idea that several posters don't know the Typhoon is an AR type mag-fed shotgun, generally priced around a grand. I saw a review - that's all I know.

The market for lower end shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc. will always be there because there will always be people who can not afford better.

These are not the folks who are going to be shooting cases of ammo out of their firearms, but their need, and right, to have a firearm is just as valid as yours and mine.

Everybody can't afford STI, Beretta, or KAC.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I already have a 1301T and other decent shotguns, so this was posted more out of curiosity about a new to me gun that has a lot of appeal. I’m unlikely to actually buy one.

That said, I have a Turkish shotgun that is quite good - my CZ SxS. Yeah, apples and pears, but the Turks do have a solid weapons culture.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Yesterday the regional CZ rep was in my lgs, and we talked at length. He claims that CZ engineers have had input about the Turkey shotgun product and that they monitor quality by studying samples. Too, they pay attention to consumer input. I agree that shotguns made in Turkey have had many consumer complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The only turkish one I'd look at right now is the Stoeger M3000...and that's basically a Beretta 1201 with a better aftermarket. You can actually put a Magpul SGA on them.
    I did not know that. That is good information.

I have one of the magazine fed MKA1919 Shotguns that are made in turkey. Are use it for three gun. And it runs pretty good. I have had zero issues with bird shot and buckshot. It does like specific slugs and can be finicky with others.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I don't disagree with most of what has been posted, however, I'm getting the idea that several posters don't know the Typhoon is an AR type mag-fed shotgun, generally priced around a grand. I saw a review - that's all I know.

The market for lower end shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc. will always be there because there will always be people who can not afford better.

These are not the folks who are going to be shooting cases of ammo out of their firearms, but their need, and right, to have a firearm is just as valid as yours and mine.

Everybody can't afford STI, Beretta, or KAC.
    I knew what the Typhoon is and have shot one. I still think the typhoon is dog shit marketed to people who don’t know any better or really like gas station fantasy knives.

Mag fed shotguns in general are problematic.

One could find a used 1301 for the $1k the Typhoon costs. The Stoeger 3000 TC mentioned is sub $1k - in the $500 to $600 range -a better shotgun at about half the price of the Typhoon.

The original marker for most of the AR and AK looking shotguns is countries like Turkey where smoothbores are the only civilian legal long guns and people want something that looks like an AR or AK.

User Tag List