Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing an 870 wooden forend- what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    If you want to just keep the current wood forend and the forend tube assembly assembly intact, I do have an extra forend tube assembly if you can put up with a two-tone look, as it is an electroless nickeled one for a Marine Magnum.

I do not have an extra forend tube nut though, so you'd have to source one of those.
    I might take you up on that, but I'm gonna see what I can do with the UTG wrench.
    I should've have done all this 2 years ago when I first got the gun. Back then parts where everywhere and dirt cheap.
    I was planning on a similar makeover for my 20 ga 870, but at the moment barrels of less than 26" dont seem to exist for 20ga.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    ack then parts where everywhere and dirt cheap.
    I was planning on a similar makeover for my 20 ga 870, but at the moment barrels of less than 26" dont seem to exist for 20ga.
    Shortages of 870 parts in the USA... there is something new to hate every damn day anymore, and that is one of them.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Treat this area with a penetrating oil and let it soak for a day. Then try.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Treat this area with a penetrating oil and let it soak for a day. Then try.
    Liberal application of kroil, and UTG wrench just arrived today. Will attempt again tonight after work.

Liberal application of kroil, and UTG wrench just arrived today. Will attempt again tonight after work.
    After bathing it in kroil, and a lot of cursing, finally got it off. Based on how it came off and inspection afterword, I think either it was cross threaded from the factory, or some kind of thread locker was used.

But hell did this turn into more trouble than anticipated.

After bathing it in kroil, and a lot of cursing, finally got it off. Based on how it came off and inspection afterword, I think either it was cross threaded from the factory, or some kind of thread locker was used.

But hell did this turn into more trouble than anticipated.
    It really doesn't take much to make a threaded joint a "permanent assembly." That forend tube and its corresponding nut have a considerable amount of threaded interface, and either corrosion or misadvised thread locker can make it a 'til-death-do-us-part situation. An actual case of cross-threading or galling would be ugly as well.

I hope the new Magpul forend works out for you. The feel is quite different than what I am used to, but it is really a clever bit of kit (as is the SGA stock).
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    It really doesn't take much to make a threaded joint a "permanent assembly." That forend tube and its corresponding nut have a considerable amount of threaded interface, and either corrosion or misadvised thread locker can make it a 'til-death-do-us-part situation. An actual case of cross-threading or galling would be ugly as well.

I hope the new Magpul forend works out for you. The feel is quite different than what I am used to, but it is really a clever bit of kit (as is the SGA stock).
    Handling so far is good, but I gotta say, it is ugly. Really prefer the look of wood, but LOP , and the ability to add a light trump that if everything else works out.

One thing I've noted, the forend seems canted, left side seems to have less gap between it and the barrel than the right. Dont know if I messed up install, or if that's just how it is.

Handling so far is good, but I gotta say, it is ugly. Really prefer the look of wood, but LOP , and the ability to add a light trump that if everything else works out.

One thing I've noted, the forend seems canted, left side seems to have less gap between it and the barrel than the right. Dont know if I messed up install, or if that's just how it is.
    Oh, I think it is homely too... and so is the SGA butt stock; on an 870, the combo is like putting a pretty woman into a full Darth Vader costume. But this furniture turned out to really be "must-have" kit.

I was surprised by how the MOE M-Lok forend actually indexed better and easier on my 870P than a lot of alternatives I tried in the past, but maybe they had a bad day at the molding machine with yours. There is some variation among Remington forend tube assemblies according to my LGS parts replacer... why, I don't know. I DO know firsthand that tolerance stacking on 870s and repair parts for them can make for some interesting fits.

ETA: a TLR-1 mounted on the piece of M-Lok rail at the right front of the forend lights the white XS bead on my low-profile (DEA-style) factory 18.5" barrel perfectly. And I mean PERFECTLY. The combination is also about a QD as I will ever need.
    gn

A whack with a hammer handle usually takes care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    A whack with a hammer handle usually takes care of that.

My opinion on the aesthetics, or the forend cant?

User Tag List