Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing an 870 wooden forend- what am I doing wrong?

Replacing an 870 wooden forend- what am I doing wrong?

So I purchased a set of the Magpul furniture for my 870, instructions seem clear enough, watching some tutorials it all looked well within my ability to swap.

But I cannot get the dang ring that hold the hand guard to the action bar to budge. On all the videos I watched it spun off easily with the tool provided by Magpul, but mine almost seems like it was glued in.
    This is an 89-91 era 870 Wingmaster, is there something that I am not aware of that would keep the provided tool from working with this era of gun?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So I purchased a set of the Magpul furniture for my 870, instructions seem clear enough, watching some tutorials it all looked well within my ability to swap.

But I cannot get the dang ring that hold the hand guard to the action bar to budge. On all the videos I watched it spun off easily with the tool provided by Magpul, but mine almost seems like it was glued in.
    This is an 89-91 era 870 Wingmaster, is there something that I am not aware of that would keep the provided tool from working with this era of gun?
    Did you put the shank of a screwdriver through it for torque? (Try applying any light machine oil?)

(Or locking pliers.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Did you put the shank of a screwdriver through it for torque? (Try applying any light machine oil?)

(Or locking pliers.)
    ??? Dont see anywhere on either the nut or the wrench to put a screwdriver through. To clarify, I'm referring to the plastic wrench included with the Magpul handguard.
    Have not tried any oil yet, what kind do you mean? I have WD40, and ballistol and was going to try that next.

To further clarify, looking at Midwest Gunworks parts diagram, what I'm stuck on is part 29, the forend tube nut, to unscrew it from part 28 the forend tube assembly, to remove part 27, the wooden forend, and replace it with the Magpul forend.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 06-16-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Sorry, Mando, I had a brain fart and thought it came with something in steel like I got with the Surefire Forend which could be manipulated by hand, with ViseGrips or screwdriver shank.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-16 7.18.29 PM.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sorry, Mando, I had a brain fart and thought it came with something in steel like I got with the Surefire Forend which could be manipulated by hand, with ViseGrips or screwdriver shank.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-16 7.18.29 PM.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.6 KB
    See that would be useful. What magpul includes is a polymer cylinder with to nubs to match up with the slots in the nut, and two stubby 'wings' at the other end.

I'm mainly wanting to make sure their wasn't anything particular to this era or style of handguard that would cause damage if I just tried to ape-strength it off. If it is just it needs some WD40 and can-do attitude then I won't worry.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 06-16-2021 at 06:34 PM.

See that would be useful. What magpul includes is a polymer cylinder with to nubs to match up with the slots in the nut, and two stubby 'wings' at the other end.

I'm mainly wanting to make sure their wasn't anything particular to this era or style of handguard that would cause damage if I just tried to ape-strength it off. If it is just it needs some WD40 and can-do attitude then I won't worry.
    I've only done it on my vintage 2000 870 Express. It came off pretty easily. I think I'd give it a little lube and then give it another go after a bit I don't see how you could mess it up unless it was somehow cross threaded or similar.

I just used a pair of Channel Locks or a Vise Grip with the supplied tool when I did mine.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

Some of those magazine "nuts" are cinched down "tighter than Dick's hatband" (bonus points for knowing what book that is from) or rusted in place.

The heaviest-duty yet simple to use forend wrench I have personally tried is the one from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-prod968.aspx

It is overkill for most removals/installs, but good for the tough removals.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Some of those magazine "nuts" are cinched down "tighter than Dick's hatband" (bonus points for knowing what book that is from) or rusted in place.

The heaviest-duty yet simple to use forend wrench I have personally tried is the one from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-prod968.aspx

It is overkill for most removals/installs, but good for the tough removals.
    Unfortunately out of stock at the moment.

Yeah, I'm betting overtightened at the factory and probably rusted too. This is the first time ive actually taken this gun down this far before, so there are some other areas that are gonna need some TLC too. I was just concerned that maybe there was a period that Remington was gluing their forends onto the tube or something.

Have you taken the forearm assembly off the receiver? I always take it off and then use a vice to hold it. I also have a steel tool similar to the Magpul one that makes it really easy. Also keeps me from torquing the arms of the assembly that go into the receiver.

If you don’t plan on using the current forearm you could cut it off. That’ll allow you to heat up the nut if you need to without worry about setting fire to or melting the forearm.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Have you taken the forearm assembly off the receiver? I always take it off and then use a vice to hold it. I also have a steel tool similar to the Magpul one that makes it really easy. Also keeps me from torquing the arms of the assembly that go into the receiver.

If you don’t plan on using the current forearm you could cut it off. That’ll allow you to heat up the nut if you need to without worry about setting fire to or melting the forearm.
    Yes, I took the whole assembly out, like you said, I was worried about twisting the action bars.

While I dont plan on using the current forend again, I would rather retain it in case I decide that the Magpul set up doesn't work for me. I actually prefer the look of wood, but the length of pull and ability to mount a light easier on the Magpul forend is what I'm after.

User Tag List