Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meprolight FT Bullseye sight for aging eyes - an experiment

Meprolight FT Bullseye sight for aging eyes - an experiment

I know there will be people who will immediately jump on this with derision, but I’m intrigued enough from my experience shooting a friend’s P365 SAS that I want to give these a try.

My eyes are aging enough that using traditional iron sights is becoming a struggle. I’ve compensated by settling on a bright orange ringed front tritium dot and a plain black serrated rear (Ameriglo Hackathorns) for most defensive pistols. But, to be honest, it’s fuzzier than I would like. I work on indexing to provide additional compensation.

I’ve started testing the idea of a RDS on my defensive pistols. I have two - a G19.5 MOS with a 6.5 MOA RMR, and a G43X MOS with a Swampfox Sentinel. These are easier to sight but I’m not in love with the high bore axis or added cost, and I have durability concerns.

Another data point - many years ago I owned a ASP with the Guttersnipe sight. It was interesting, and I found I could easily get fast center mass hits so long as I had good light. My faint recollection is that sucked for indexing due to the tapered sight body, though.

My main carry pistol is a G43 with Hacks. I’ve been currently weighing picking up a second G43 and milling it for a RMRcc, but I’m thinking I want to give a FT Bullseye on a new pistol a try first. If it works out, great. If not, I’ll flip it for a small loss and proceed with the original RMRcc idea.

Shooting my friend’s P365 SAS has been enlightening. Having the dot and ring on the same plane at the rear of the sight works for me. I think it deserves a try, and ordered one today.

I’ll use this thread to track my journey. It may be a slow one given the current ammunition shortages.

https://www.meprolight.com/product/m...e/?ml=ML-63102 (this page has the wrong SKUs listed)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Thoughts

@HeavyDuty

I have some advice if you’re interested, ignore it if you aren’t!

I think you can do pretty much 95% of the training and experiment in dry fire.

I think ultimately a red dot will be the best solution for you, if you’re good with getting an iron / bullseye index but just can’t focus on the sighting system due to eyes, then a target focused red dot will be the answer.

High optic over bore isn’t an issue with practice, it’s just like indexing with a different gun. It takes practice.

A large dot window goes a long way to preventing having to hunt. Could also do the Doctor / DPP micro if you wanted something that’s basically like electronically augmented irons.

I use a Holosun 507k that is co-witnessed with the factory irons and that I think would be a good solution for you.

I suspect if focusing on a front sight is hard, focusing on a rear sight like a bullseye will be even more difficult.

My SAS slide for a P938 comes in soon, so I’ll have some comparative data but I think a low profile red dot is your droid.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @HeavyDuty

I have some advice if you’re interested, ignore it if you aren’t!

I think you can do pretty much 95% of the training and experiment in dry fire.

I think ultimately a red dot will be the best solution for you, if you’re good with getting an iron / bullseye index but just can’t focus on the sighting system due to eyes, then a target focused red dot will be the answer.

High optic over bore isn’t an issue with practice, it’s just like indexing with a different gun. It takes practice.

A large dot window goes a long way to preventing having to hunt. Could also do the Doctor / DPP micro if you wanted something that’s basically like electronically augmented irons.

I use a Holosun 507k that is co-witnessed with the factory irons and that I think would be a good solution for you.

I suspect if focusing on a front sight is hard, focusing on a rear sight like a bullseye will be even more difficult.

My SAS slide for a P938 comes in soon, so I’ll have some comparative data but I think a low profile red dot is your droid.
    You may very well be right, and I definitely wouldn’t bet against you. But I do think it will make an interesting, low cost experiment. I got the sight cheaply enough that I wouldn’t lose much if (when) I abandon ship and go RMRcc.

My comments about RDS height over bore are based on personal experience with my two RDS equipped pistols, and the Mepro’s usability for my eyesight on putting a few hundred rounds through a friend’s gun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

My experience with Bullseye sights on my pocket carry P365 SAS has been positive so far.
    I can make hits on a "A/C" USPSA steel silhouette out to 50Y on demand using them.
    At all ranges I am about as fast and accurate with the SAS as I am with my red ramped 340PD J-frame.
    Fist sized group inside 10Y, 8" plate out to 25Y, 10" plate out to 40Y or so then on a "A/C" silhouette at 50Y.
    All at a respectable speed.
    Basically the SAS is my 11 shot J frame.
    For me the Bullseye shoots a lot like a red dot (especially a Holosun circle only reticle) or XS sights.
    Target focus, hit your index and like magic the "dot" appears where you're looking.
    Press the trigger while the dot is on target.

The Bullseye sights fit into my 2021 way of shooting very well.
    I've gone back in time to the '90's and installed XS DXT2 green standard dot sights on all my Glocks again and really, really liking the results.
    I also have a Holosun on a 19X and use the circle only reticle.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Following with great interest.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    As a skeptic of any emphasis on snag-free as opposed to accurate, easy to see sights, I hope you do not get any derision. I will be interested to see how this experiment turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    As a skeptic of any emphasis on snag-free as opposed to accurate, easy to see sights,
    Mission drives the gear.
    The guttersnipe/Bullseye/XS are infinitely better sights than tall, sharp Heinie Straight 8's or a MRDS on a pocket pistol.

Snag free isn't a factor... until it's really, really a factor.
    Same with precision at 25Y. When you need it, you really need it.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I don’t plan on pocket carrying this 43, so snag free really isn’t a factor. It’s all about the ease of seeing the sights.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t plan on pocket carrying this 43, so snag free really isn’t a factor. It’s all about the ease of seeing the sights.
    XS DXT2 standard dot (I prefer green) sights.
    Yea, I said XS sights.
    But then again I've been a fan of them off and on for 20 years, including my best ever FAST times.
    I'm back on the XS train again right now, they're on everything I carry except my SAS and one Holosun topped 19X.
    My speed has gone up and my accuracy hasn't degraded (and anyone who's shot with me can attest to my accuracy).

@JodyH, I’m glad to hear you’ve been having good luck with your SAS. The Bullseye sights are very polarizing - people either seem to hate them (the majority, including people who have never handled them in real life) or like them, with not many in the middle. I fully expect this experiment to fail, but who knows?
    Ken

User Tag List