Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meprolight FT Bullseye sight for aging eyes - an experiment

Site Supporter
    As I type this, I am pocket carrying a P365 with the standard sights, as I have done for the warmer half of about 2 years now. There is nothing on the gun that is likely to snag anything. Since the version with standard sights has nothing that will snag, I would hope that any loss of accuracy is minimal, in proportion to whatever theoretical gain in snag-free may exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    As I type this, I am pocket carrying a P365 with the standard sights, as I have done for the warmer half of about 2 years now. There is nothing on the gun that is likely to snag anything. Since the version with standard sights has nothing that will snag, I would hope that any loss of accuracy is minimal, in proportion to whatever theoretical gain in snag-free may exist.
    On the first P365 I bought I replaced the factory sights with XS, because the rear sight liked to catch on my pocket lining (so for my second P365 I just bought a SAS).
    YMMV... if everybody had the exact same situation we'd all be carrying the exact same gun the exact same way.
    But this forum pretty much proves there's more than one way to skin a gat.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Steps 1 and 2 complete - sight ordered this morning, new G43 in the safe this afternoon. This is my first USA Glock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    On the first P365 I bought I replaced the factory sights with XS, because the rear sight liked to catch on my pocket lining (so for my second P365 I just bought a SAS).
    YMMV... if everybody had the exact same situation we'd all be carrying the exact same gun the exact same way.
    But this forum pretty much proves there's more than one way to skin a gat.
    This thread is going to prove to be interesting. Your experience is, if I recall correctly, the first time I have come across conventional sights snagging on a draw. I have snagged revolver hammer spurs, and once snagged the slide release of a Glock on the retention strap of a cheap nylon holster, but never a sight. Now we know that the problem which the SAS claims to solve actually occurs. This is the one version of the P365 that I have not liked, but I may end up having to change my opinion as this thread progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    This thread is going to prove to be interesting. Your experience is, if I recall correctly, the first time I have come across conventional sights snagging on a draw. I have snagged revolver hammer spurs, and once snagged the slide release of a Glock on the retention strap of a cheap nylon holster, but never a sight. Now we know that the problem which the SAS claims to solve actually occurs. This is the one version of the P365 that I have not liked, but I may end up having to change my opinion as this thread progresses.
    I've always chosen my sights very carefully on pocket carry autos, usually ending up with XS big dots for the extremely low profile rear sight and the smooth front sight, same with always going hammerless on my J-frames.
    I primarily pocket carry, so I do a lot of practice from the pocket and have found most traditional notch and post sights (especially aftermarket Glock 42/43 sights) to snag just often enough to have me seek out alternatives.
    I find the Sig X-Ray sights that come on the P365 to be the best shooting sights out there, they really nailed it on the overall design from a shooters perspective.
    But they snag, not all the time, not even that frequently, but often enough.
    The integrated Bullseye sight is inferior to both the X-Ray and the XS sights when it comes to shooting.
    The Bullseye is less a sighting system and more of a visual indicator that the pistol is aligned with the intended target.
    If that's good enough for you, then the integrated Bullseye sight is hands down the best "overall package" 9mm pocket pistol out there. Not just low profile, but no profile.

What to expect when it comes to shooting?
    Don't expect to clean a dot torture.
    If you're an accomplished shooter you can expect a clean FAST (can consistently hit a 3x5 @ 7Y).
    Fist sized groups at normal speed (for a sub-sub-compact 9mm) out to 10Y.
    Everything on a 8" plate out to 25Y, 10" plate to 35Y and on a A/C USPSA silhouette out to 50Y.
    Basically what I can do with XS sighted Glock 43 or PM9, or a red ramp sighted J-frame in good lighting.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My biggest design concern with these is adjustability. I’m hearing that adjusting elevation is a shimming issue, but I could have sworn I’ve seen pics of a version with a front elevation screw. I guess we’ll see. The Guttersnipe wasn’t adjustable either, but IIRC it was pretty close to 10M POA.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Sight has finally shipped, time to set up the kidney sale for range ammunition.
    Ken

My 0.02. Defensive pistols don't need reflex sights. I have Vortex on several of my target guns and they improve my 25 and 50 yd shooting yugely. I love those things and it makes me feel like I'm still in the game. The truth is my eyesight isn't good enough to shoot at those distances with iron sights. I can still manage aperture sights on a carbine but I have problems with pistols and revolvers. The sight picture just isn't clear enough to shoot well at those distances. I have eye exams every year and get new glasses but it doesn't help.

I can shoot well enough at 7 yards without any help from after market sights. That's my gauge for a carry. I'm sure many will disagree but 7 yards is my standard for a carry. Honestly, I think I'm using my front sight and never really seeing my rear sight. At least it isn't a conscious effort. I used a shotgun for many years and shot for money. Shotguns don't have rear sights, at least the ones I used. Your eye is the rear sight. The rib is there so you can pick up the front bead. That's all you need.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-22-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    The term "Bullseye" here is a misnomer. It implies front and rear sights. This gismo is a lighted dot placed on the target. It might work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The term "Bullseye" here is a misnomer. It implies front and rear sights. This gismo is a lighted dot placed on the target. It might work ok.
    Name:  5AB6CAF1-31EC-4681-A1C6-A653BEF77253.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  17.3 KB

It’s a dot in a circle. If the index is off, the dot moves in the circle.

It looks like a bullseye to me, no?

Just to cross post, I found them seamless to use. Even weak handed.

User Tag List