Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun ammo: Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck vs Federal 132LE00

Shotgun ammo: Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck vs Federal 132LE00

Since I have a new shotty in the pipeline I thought I had better look for some more buckshot loads to shore up my dwindling supply. Finding nothing available at a decent price on line and nothing at any of the LGS's , I found a guy on a local classified ad page with some Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck and Federal 132LE00 readily available at a somewhat decent price considering the times. The deal is I had to buy all 125 rounds. 85 rounds of Federal 132LE00 and 40 rounds of the Hornady CD. $200

Both loads have the same wad technology. The Federal 132LE00 is a 9 pellet load and the Hornady is an 8 pellet load. I know we like 8 pellets vs 9 due to the 9th pellet "flyer" but the Hornady load is listed at 1600 FPS and that seems a little fast. Neither load seems "Ideal" and #1 buck is impossible to find.

I'm sure either load will do the job but for the sake of discussion, assuming both loads run fine in my new shotgun, which load would you use for SD?

Hornaday 12ga 00

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-cr...ps-10-box.html

Just passing this along. FPS sorta stiff, but some folks like 8 pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'm sure either load will do the job but for the sake of discussion, assuming both loads run fine in my new shotgun, which load would you use for SD?
    I think the consensus around here is "either," however, you should pattern each with your shotgun and see what works best in your gun, because shotty barrels all seem to be special snowflakes.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-cr...ps-10-box.html

Just passing this along. FPS sorta stiff, but some folks like 8 pellets.
    1600 fps, spicy!

I've used the Hornady #4 buck varmint loads. Not freaky tight like I've come to enjoy with FC but usable on deer out to 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've used the Hornady #4 buck varmint loads. Not freaky tight like I've come to enjoy with FC but usable on deer out to 50 yards.
    I have some of that I’d like to introduce to a coyote sometime.

I use the Hornady load as it cycles my 1187 Special Purpose. I’d prefer less recoil but the Federal and similar low recoil loads won’t cycle. My agency uses the Hornady low recoil TAP 00in our 870s and it also patterns well.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, Federal's non-FC low recoil 00 is available.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I use the Hornady load as it cycles my 1187 Special Purpose. I’d prefer less recoil but the Federal and similar low recoil loads won’t cycle. My agency uses the Hornady low recoil TAP 00in our 870s and it also patterns well.
    That is something to consider since my new shotgun is a semiauto.

Buy what you can right now... Test them both and pick the one that works the best for your needs.
    The FC wad works better than the Hornady.

User Tag List