Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So...I bid on this Revolver...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Ha! So far she has taken the news remarkably well. Lol

It’s a 5” Illinois State Police Pre-14. Looking into the exact serial # but it does not appear to be an overrun as the number falls into the correct range and it also has a “Factory Through” modification stamp (1968) on the frame. Arranging payment and shipping first thing this morning.

I need to hunt down some cast wadcutters now. Only thing on the shelf currently is 158gr SWC which are going to have to do in a pinch.
    Jewelry works with my wife, but I would give it a good home beside my 15-2 and my 66-4 for you.

Nice find, congrats.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

That’s stunning! I’ve always felt that the standard revolver barrel lengths should have been 3” and 5” instead of 4” and 6”. I had no idea 5” 14s existed… something for my bucket list.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I could see a 5" model 14 becoming a favorite for hare, squirrel, and turkey. Consider me very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Now to preemptively strike and do something for the wife....

Quick! Help!! Lol
    I've always had luck with Hermes Scarves when I am in the dog house.

I had a 5" M19, courtesy of the local gunsmith, for early days of IDPA. Until they reduced the allowable revolver barrel length to 4" so as to obsolete the then standard 5" M625.

I saw a factory gun at a gun show once.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That is so fine looking your wife might just take it away from you.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Your winning bid was a great price for that gun - well done.

I had put a limit on what I had to spend, not necessarily what I thought was reasonable. Honestly, after it popped up on auction I did a bit of research on it and kinda gave up. I was very surprised when I got the “auction ending soon” email and saw the price had only moved about $100. I tossed a bid in the final hours which held until 8min before close. Then that game started. I was going to give it one more “nudge”...then give up. To my astonishment...the clock ran out.

I’m certainly glad I did a hard pass on that 14-2 that came my way a few weeks back. Over the years, I have had a few shots at some ISP marked 39-2s but never had enough desire for one (besides the history and marking) to go thru with it. This was different. I’m awaiting confirmation from a gentleman on another forum who’s checking the serial number for me. Seems that the ISP would order a bunch, then take direct delivery on “bunch (-)” then the others normally got sent to copper supply stores in Springfield and Chicago. The serial numbers of what went where are within a range, but sporadic. Regardless of what I learn, this one is worth the price of a letter I think.

It has what appears to be some minor flecking on the left lower frame and crane. Nothing obnoxious tho. This is good because it’s going to be used and shot like it was built to be. Nothing I own is a safe queen. I got a shipping notice this morning, so now it’s my turn to sit by the window next to the dog...03RN...got any advice? Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Just received this email:

Your 5" K-38 with s/n xxxxxx was shipped to the ISP on 10/15/57, one of 230 in this the third shipment, and one of 470 total shipped between July and October 1957.

If I can help further please don't hesitate to call on me.

I’m stoked.

Gonna get one of these to go with?

Name:  ILSP1957car.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  60.0 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Nope. Already have three that are grown. Got a couple red hats too. I’m good.

🤣

Edit to add:

I bet that’s the Fairgrounds in Springfield. I spent a whole bunch of time down there with my daughter as she was growing up and I swear I recognize that wall...

User Tag List