Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So...I bid on this Revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thanks. Nope, checked that. It’s tight. I think it may be more that I just don’t know what a really nice trigger feels like... Judging by the rest of it, I can’t imagine it was tinkered with.

When I first pulled off the stocks to double check the serial number, I noticed some congealed/hardened oil on the right panel. The gun had obviously spent some time laying on its right side. After shooting it yesterday (about 100rds) and heating it up a bit, there was some oozing onto the same area of the stocks. That, along with the overall “feel” of the action leads me to believe it needs a cleaning. I’m scared to death to attempt to remove the side plate however. The first step is to order some proper screwdrivers from Brownells. I’ll try it on my M28 first, as that has never been cracked open (by me). In the meantime, I’ll just keep shooting it! Any thoughts on just maybe squirting some Kroil into it and letting it sit? Maybe a follow up of some canned air to blow it out?
    S&W sideplates aren’t anything to be feared, just respected. Hollow ground bits that fit perfectly (even if you have to file ones to fit) and a non mar mallet to jar the sideplate loose are all you need. Never, ever pry! And have lots of patience when you place the side plate back on, you sometimes have to use a fair amount of finesse before it magically seats.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Interestingly enough, the former owner got in touch with me via another forum. Older gent with vision issues who is thinning out his collection. He stated that this was the first time it had been fired in probably 20 years. It was nice for him to post and contact me. I assured him I would be a conscientious caretaker.

A few more rounds thru it yesterday. Dinging 8x10 steel plates at 35yds DA and SA. Trigger is a bit less “gooey” but it still needs a good breakdown and cleaning. Found a used set of Targets and Magnas for it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Spray can Rem Oil cleans goop up quickly. I’d take the stocks off, and direct the nozzle all around. A source of canned/compressed air would help to flush out the Rem Oil and (hopefully) the goop.

What a find. Congratulations.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    S&W sideplates aren’t anything to be feared, just respected. Hollow ground bits that fit perfectly (even if you have to file ones to fit) and a non mar mallet to jar the sideplate loose are all you need. Never, ever pry! And have lots of patience when you place the side plate back on, you sometimes have to use a fair amount of finesse before it magically seats.
    Most of my fun is positioning the hammer block properly (or remembering to put it in).

Non-mar mallet, a wooden hammer handle, the side of a screwdriver handle (rubber-coated), or a handy chunk of wood. I bought a 10-7 cheap that needed a lot of time with PDBlaster before I could get it off.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List