Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Check this out!

The Short Colt next to the Special.

If you are using a 38 short colt on a 357 mag chamber, then your .358" bullet is running for almost .54" on a .381" bore inside the cylinder...

Take care with leading

The 160 grain coated round nose are pretty snappy in an Airweight J. Even when loaded to USPSA minor PF. Yea I have a couple thousand SC cases myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddies who shoot revolver in USPSA like to use the SC brass in their 627’s. Much easier to eject with the moonclips.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    If you are using a 38 short colt on a 357 mag chamber, then your .358" bullet is running for almost .54" on a .381" bore inside the cylinder...

Take care with leading
    As @Lon mentioned, this exact combo pretty much owns 8-minor in USPSA revolver division. It's either 9mm in a 929 or .38sc (a rimmed 9mm) in a 627 of some form or another. The .357 chamber doesn't pose any real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

Take care with leading
    Yep,

I have heard this repeated by people. Of course when I ask if they have any actual real life subject matter experience, the answer is always the same... "No but I read" . They repeat the same bad information over and over.

Yet

Here is a .44 Russian fired in a .44 Magnum. Absolutely stacks them into tiny, tiny groups.

These were shot at 20 yards.

Hundreds of rounds through that .44 magnum chambered gun at the time I shot those groups, yet absolutely no issue whatsoever. Cleaned up just like it does when I shoot specials or mags in it.

Earlier this month I visited with author John Taffin (and one of the last few living guys who is still writing that is truly a subject matter expert in his field) at his home in Boise, who was quite excited when I told him that I was loading .38 long Colts and shooting them in .38 Special guns. He chuckled when I told him that I had had a few people tell me " you can't do that" and "take care with leading" type comments.

Moving on,

Mr Taffin loves historic cartridges like the Short Colt and when I told them that I was loading them and supplying them for folks to use in the .38 Specials he was quite pleased.

In tough times, sometimes it pays to know a little about history and go "Old School Cool"

The cool thing is that since you are using a 9mm length case, when used in a modern gun such as a J frame or K frame, you can use a lot of the 9mm load data (to a degree). I keep the loads sedate, so as to keep them very pleasant to shoot in the Js, but if one wanted to bump a 125 up to 1K it would be very very easy.

38 spl shoots great out of a 357 revolver, accuracy wise.

But when I shoot 38 spl in my 357 mag guns I do take care to clean the crud/lead deposits in the throat leades to seat the 357 shells without problems. I've had problems before with this issue (as do all my friends that shoot 38 spl in 357 chambers), that's why I do it.

I have no experience with 38 short colt on 38/357 chambers, but it seems the problem would be at least the same.

I've never used 44 spl or russian cases in my 44 mags, simply because around here they are obscure obsolete rounds and the 44 mag is very amenable to mild charges anyway.

What is needed for snubby aficionados in search of a modern, powerful and efficient round, is revolvers chambered in 9 mm luger BUT with a short cylinder to take advante for the round's short OAL and be more size efficient.

Interesting thread.

Speaking of going old-school due to hard times, shotgun powders are a bit more available than most other powders. I’m kind of surprised not to see more threads about using them in rifles and handguns with cast bullets as was common in the Depression. I'm pretty sure that I could put meat on the table with some flavor of 38 and Blue Dot or with a 308 and a cast 160-grain bullet over Unique or something similar. All in the fullness of time, I suppose, but I would not be surprised to see a renaissance in that knowledge.

On a slightly different note, what kind of velocity could you get from the 38 Short Colt in a 20" lever gun, and how many 38 Short Colt cartridges would fit into the magazine?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Neat.

My problem is that I have 3 gallons of .38 brass but no spp

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Yep,

I have heard this repeated by people. Of course when I ask if they have any actual real life subject matter experience, the answer is always the same... "No but I read" . They repeat the same bad information over and over.

Yet

Here is a .44 Russian fired in a .44 Magnum. Absolutely stacks them into tiny, tiny groups.

These were shot at 20 yards.

Hundreds of rounds through that .44 magnum chambered gun at the time I shot those groups, yet absolutely no issue whatsoever. Cleaned up just like it does when I shoot specials or mags in it.

Earlier this month I visited with author John Taffin (and one of the last few living guys who is still writing that is truly a subject matter expert in his field) at his home in Boise, who was quite excited when I told him that I was loading .38 long Colts and shooting them in .38 Special guns. He chuckled when I told him that I had had a few people tell me " you can't do that" and "take care with leading" type comments.

Moving on,

Mr Taffin loves historic cartridges like the Short Colt and when I told them that I was loading them and supplying them for folks to use in the .38 Specials he was quite pleased.

In tough times, sometimes it pays to know a little about history and go "Old School Cool"

The cool thing is that since you are using a 9mm length case, when used in a modern gun such as a J frame or K frame, you can use a lot of the 9mm load data (to a degree). I keep the loads sedate, so as to keep them very pleasant to shoot in the Js, but if one wanted to bump a 125 up to 1K it would be very very easy.

I'd love to meet Mr Taffin. He's definitely my favorite gun author.

Site Supporter
    I have thought of trying out USPSA revolver Major with my GP100.
    Using 38SC brass on a moon-clipped gun seemed to be the way to go.

Not sure about getting major PF out of it though.

User Tag List