Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Those Nills as comfortable as I think? I'm gonna get a set for my 329, the closed back with slight thumb rest..
    Following along and really tempted to get dies and make up some 135gr gold dot short mags..
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I wish they were Nills. These are Hogues. They are pretty nice, but I have only shot them with this load, so I don't know how they will do with Magnums. I bought this gun in 2005 or so and the only other time I have shot it was with wax bullets in the back yard.
    Other than color, they appear to be the same grip that comes on the GP100 Match Champion. It was fine with magnums for me, although I swapped to a compact grip for ease of carry.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    In terms of creating a 'rimmed 9mm' for .357 pocket pistols, do you think the .38 Short Colt would be able to work with .355 9x19 projectiles?

I ask as I've got 5000+ 124gr Gold Dots. And in general theres a wider variety of 9x19 projectiles optimized for lower velocity performance than the typical 125gr .357 projectile.

If 9mm projectiles can work, then thats going to push me to get into .38 Short Colt.

I’m going to parrot here the original post is over on revolverguy.com, https://revolverguy.com/the-38-speci...-deep-journey/

“ To create the FBI’s .38 Special Hydra-Shok duty load, Federal loaded one of their 9mm, 147 grain Hydra-Shok bullets in a .38 Special case at +P+ pressures, to generate about 950 fps out of a 3” Model 13 revolver. Even though this 9mm bullet was only 0.355 inches in diameter, the accuracy was good enough to meet FBI standards in their .357 caliber revolvers.”

So I’m not sure how much to get hung up there is unless you want something like 1.5 inch groups at 25 vs 3 inch?

Jason

None of my .38s or .357s will let a .358 hardcast bullet through the throat except my 66-8 because I had it honed. .355 jacketed bullets might actually be more better

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    None of my .38s or .357s will let a .358 hardcast bullet through the throat except my 66-8 because I had it honed. .355 jacketed bullets might actually be more better
    Off the top of my head:
    • The K frames I've measured all took a .357 ZZ- gage pin.
    • The J frames I've measured all took a .359 ZZ- gage pin.
    • The GP100 I've measured took a .3585 ZZ- gage pin.

One of the Js and the GP both leaded badly with Precision Delta .357 wadcutter loaded ammo. Didn't shoot the stuff through the Ks.

I've pulled a bullet from Sig Sauer 125gr FMJ factory .38 SPL ammo. It was actually plated and measured .356. Seems to shoot OK. I expect the Hornady HAP .356 125gr would do fine in many revolvers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I will load some Montana Gold 124 grain JHPs and do an accuracy comparison with the ACME 125 gr FPPC bullets. I think I will do a 12 round group at 10 yards for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    I’m going to parrot here the original post is over on revolverguy.com, https://revolverguy.com/the-38-speci...-deep-journey/

“ To create the FBI’s .38 Special Hydra-Shok duty load, Federal loaded one of their 9mm, 147 grain Hydra-Shok bullets in a .38 Special case at +P+ pressures, to generate about 950 fps out of a 3” Model 13 revolver. Even though this 9mm bullet was only 0.355 inches in diameter, the accuracy was good enough to meet FBI standards in their .357 caliber revolvers.”

So I’m not sure how much to get hung up there is unless you want something like 1.5 inch groups at 25 vs 3 inch?

Jason
    Awesome. That sounds very promising.

My two main concerns were:

-Bullets jumping out of the case under recoil in lightweight revolvers; a problem which I feared might be exacerbated by using the narrower .355 bullets in a .357..38spcl case.

-Having atrocious accuracy (like outside a paper plate at 10yds)

But it seems accuracy is not much a concern, and hopefully with a proper crimp, there would be no issue with bullet jump.

All in all, the DIY goal of a 9mm M&P 340 seems closer then ever

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I will load some Montana Gold 124 grain JHPs and do an accuracy comparison with the ACME 125 gr FPPC bullets. I think I will do a 12 round group at 10 yards for both.
    Wonderful, thank you for testing that.

Got the 38 Short Colt with the 124 gr Montana Gold JHPs loaded up. I did 5.6 grains of True Blue, CCI SPP, and Starline brass. Cartridge COAL is 1.18.

This data is based on the minimum load for a 9mm using a 124 bullet from Ramshot. I have loaded this load in my 9mm pistols for a few years with no issues and it has been pretty accurate.

Name:  PXL_20211102_163517239.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  92.2 KB

500 grips

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Given that the grip in question is a Hogue, it's likely very, very close to the Hogue no finger groove grip, which is essentially identical in side profile to the S&W X frame grip, minus the finger grooves.

I have two X frame grips for sale, new in package. They can be easily stretched onto any round butt N frame.
    I've got the Hogue 500 grips on it now and they are really good recoil wise, my only beef is that when gripping it quickly clearing leather.. if my grip is a bit off..it takes a bit of adjusting to get straight behind it on the grip and I'm hoping a set of wood that's shaped nice would let me grasp it smoother In a shooting grip first try without the sticky rubber shuffle.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen YT videos where Miculek shoots one of his revolvers with what appears to be a Hogue rubber grip. It's powdered with something white; I have presumed it was chalk or talc to reduce the stickiness of it. In the video where he talks about his own grips, he discusses the lack of checkering as his preference so he can more easily adjust his grip on it when drawing quickly.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List