Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Now if S&W would just come out with a slightly shorter frame and cylinder, longer barreled J frame for 9mm and 38sc... we'd have the perfect CCW revolver.
    I'm thinking a 2-3/8" barreled J that's the same overall length as the current 1-7/8" barreled J.
    Describes reviving the Regulation Police and Terrier Improved I frame +P rated.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

.38 SC is very popular for USPSA Revo and ICORE. Those short cases load & eject fast with moons.

Mosey over to Brian Enid forums for load data.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I never realized that .38sc is about the same length as 9mm Luger.

Does anyone know if one can get 9mm velocities with less powder than would be required in a .38/.357 case? I would think so, and if so it truly would be a more "efficient" cartridge in terms of less recoil and muzzle blast, without any of the potential drawbacks of 9mm in a revolver.

What would have less recoil? A 9mm LCR throwing a 124gr at 1000 fps or a .357 lcr loaded with .38sc throwing a 125gr at 1000 fps?
    That was my thinking as well; run .38SC as a sort of 'rimmed 9x19' for .357 revolvers, using 9mm NATO pressure charge (36kpsi vs 37.5kpsi for .357 mag.)

Recoil / blast should be less then .357 / identical to 9x19; with less volume in the case, it will take fewer grains of powder in the .38sc/9x19 case to hit 36kpsi then it will in the longer .357 case.

I'm curious if the extra cylinder length of firing the 9x19 length cartridge in a .357 will act as a sort of ~0.4" extra barrel length?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Now if S&W would just come out with a slightly shorter frame and cylinder, longer barreled J frame for 9mm and 38sc... we'd have the perfect CCW revolver.
    I'm thinking a 2-3/8" barreled J that's the same overall length as the current 1-7/8" barreled J.
    Now that's an idea. Better give it properly dimensioned barrel and cylinder throats while you're at it.

As someone that prefers speedloaders to moonclips and does not even like firing .38s in .357 chambers, I have never ventured into the world of .38 Short/Long Colt. I also love .38 Special, and I would argue that D frame size revolvers are already carry revolver perfection. The revolver market has picked up and now several companies are offering those. Hopefully, that trend will continue and Ruger will finally jump in the water.

However, the idea of a short frame, medium bore revolver with a good performing cartridge has always intrigued me. We almost had this with the 9mm Federal, but the concern over rocket doctors loading it in .38 S&W revolvers and low interest at the time caused it to be a stillborn cartridge.

Also, when the I frame was canned S&W made some J frame Regulation Police revolvers in .32 Long and .38 S&W. However, they never made a 4" fixed sight .38 Special version. That would be a handy little gun (particularly in brushed stainless), and would be a nice offering in their "Classic Series."
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-22-2021 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

I'm curious if the extra cylinder length of firing the 9x19 length cartridge in a .357 will act as a sort of ~0.4" extra barrel length?
    I believe that it will, based on my reading of 10mm revolver chronograph tests.

Just think, if you could get a blank .357 cylinder and chamber it 9mm with a straight .356" throat. About half an inch of true freebore with gas seal and alignment. Might want progressive rifling in the barrel like the monster magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I keep getting bullet creep with my 625 so I'm looking for solutions. I apply a heavy taper crimp and that eliminates it for the most part but I still see some creep. I may have to go back to FMJ bullets exclusively. Coated lead isn't working out real well. I like the revolver enough to keep it. I just put a Vortex red dot on it.
    You can roll crimp for a revolver, but you’ll have to use moon clips or AR brass for it to headspace on.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Just think, if you could get a blank .357 cylinder and chamber it 9mm with a straight .356" throat. About half an inch of true freebore with gas seal and alignment. Might want progressive rifling in the barrel like the monster magnums.
    Isn't a used .22 or .32 cylinder effectively the same thing as a blank .357?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

No, but would amount to a blank .38 cylinder, the system would still work.
    I don't know what the throats are in the occasional dedicated 9mm revolver. Maybe close enough to serve.

User Tag List