Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That revolver, though.... yummy.
    Yea, I want it. I almost think I could be as fast with that as with a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    In terms of creating a 'rimmed 9mm' for .357 pocket pistols, do you think the .38 Short Colt would be able to work with .355 9x19 projectiles?

I ask as I've got 5000+ 124gr Gold Dots. And in general theres a wider variety of 9x19 projectiles optimized for lower velocity performance than the typical 125gr .357 projectile.

If 9mm projectiles can work, then thats going to push me to get into .38 Short Colt.
    I apologize for the lateness of my reply, I have been absolutely swamped with ammo orders. These guys have nailed the answers. I have tried this as well, shooting 9mm jacketed and cast, and found the results to be effective enough, but in the case of longer range true precision, you need to match the projectile size. For the vast majority of the closer in, 15 yard A-zone type stuff, it was sufficient.

The .38 Short Colt really is a nice little cartridge and it has been one of the better things about the shortage of components. Taking pages out of history and adding a modern twist has been pretty fun, not to mention quite effective.

Didn't read all 15 pages but I think I saw this mentioned; "rimmed 9mm"; https://www.rccbrass.com/9mm-federal/

I shot 50 more rounds today. I went out as far the pistol range goes 15 yards and other than a few bad trigger pulls (I jerked the trigger), it still shot amazing.

I then switched to 158 grain 38 Special. The POA/POI was exactly the same as the 125s in the short colt cases. I am pretty happy!

Today I tested a bunch of different loads out of a Colt King Cobra 3-inch. 357 Magnum, 38 Special, and 38 Short Colt. One of the 38 SC loads, 125gr JHP with the equivalent of a standard pressure load of BE-86 for 9mm, gave one of the two best groups of the day. Other variations, mostly heavier coated bullets and various powders, were mostly acceptable.

User Tag List