Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I believe that it will, based on my reading of 10mm revolver chronograph tests.
    Apples to oranges.

The reason 10mm revolvers frequently outperform their bottom-feeding brethren is they’re built on frames designed for rounds that are 30% longer. This gives them extra-long chamber throats, aka free-bore, so the bullet gets a running start before hitting the rifling.

Extra-long throats are not the same thing as extra-long chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Extra-long throats are not the same thing as extra-long chambers.
    Could you explain this in more detail?

I bought 500 rounds of these from Ted. Super excited to try them a few lightweight revolvers.

And yeah, I bought a set of dies to reload them afterwards too.

They are loads of fun!

I am going next week to a little place north of Helena Montana next week and brining some for a friend over there to feed J Frames. Of course being prime Grizzly country I will be packing something a little more substantial along as well.

Been loading LOTS of regular .38s lately. It would seem the 9mm market has peaked, but I can't make .38 special fast enough!

I know it is "coulda, woulda. shoulda, but I definitely should have ordered more .38 Special brass from Starline when it was available! Plus dang bullets are 8 weeks out with everyone!

OOOF!!!

Tomorrow is 148 grain wadcutter day!

It ends up that the day before yesterday (Friday) a guy jogging in Island Park Idaho, jogged up on a sow Grizzly and cubs. She took offense to him running up on her children and proceeded to give him a piece of her mind. He was smart enough to not run. He got down on the ground and got smacked around a bit, and then mom and the kids took off. He decided he would do the same and went back to his cabin and got help.

I told my MT friends that I am meeting and hiking with about the Friday attack. They asked if I could bring some .44s and .45 too. LOL.

Figured I would load some of these up for the .45s. They have been sitting under my bench for a long time. I honestly cannot even recall where I got them from.

I know the mold is a 255 grain flat point. They dropped averaging 257 grains. My question is, which .45 do I use the in for my trip? I am really loving the 4563 PC gun, but think a Glock 21 would be a better choice for a trail gun due to capacity. On the other hand, I know I will bring a .44 mag, for short hikes where weight is not a big concern. I don't intend on bringing an arsenal. Prefer to just bring two guns. The .44 and something else. The 4563 is like a LW commander, and works as a "Going to town/going to dinner" piece, so it may get the nod.

Then the G30S came to mind...

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Well...whatever you decide, pics are in order!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Of course!

So I am texting some of the people I am hiking with last night, talking about bears, the usual stuff. One of the people is a truly gorgeous tall blonde gal. Long legs. I have hiked with her before. She booked it up a mountain trail to a waterfall south of Livingston a couple months ago. I thought about putting rocks in her pockets to slow her down!

Last night I was touching base with her about logistics stuff. She says she hates bears, I told her not to worry about it.

Then I have the mother of all auto-correct typos. I told her that in reference to the bears not to worry, that she is faster than I am. Except it didn't come out that way. My phone auto-corrected to saying she was fatter than I was:

My fingers could not try to un-FUBAR that mother of all FUBARs fast enough!

Site Supporter
    Let's go the other direction. I love my LCR 9mm. It is currently my only revolver. It would seem that these would be soft recoiling rimmed cartridges that would make screwing around shooting a lot more fun than using moon clips....but for the .357/.366 issue....could load 9mm boolets instead of 38s for this pupose.

Am I far off base here?

My LCR was pressed into bunny duty last turkey season, and did better than Great Granddad's A5 Lightweight 12, since the only turkeys we saw were out of range and stayed that way.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It ends up that the day before yesterday (Friday) a guy jogging in Island Park Idaho, jogged up on a sow Grizzly and cubs. She took offense to him running up on her children and proceeded to give him a piece of her mind. He was smart enough to not run. He got down on the ground and got smacked around a bit, and then mom and the kids took off. He decided he would do the same and went back to his cabin and got help.

I told my MT friends that I am meeting and hiking with about the Friday attack. They asked if I could bring some .44s and .45 too. LOL.

Figured I would load some of these up for the .45s. They have been sitting under my bench for a long time. I honestly cannot even recall where I got them from.

I know the mold is a 255 grain flat point. They dropped averaging 257 grains. My question is, which .45 do I use the in for my trip? I am really loving the 4563 PC gun, but think a Glock 21 would be a better choice for a trail gun due to capacity. On the other hand, I know I will bring a .44 mag, for short hikes where weight is not a big concern. I don't intend on bringing an arsenal. Prefer to just bring two guns. The .44 and something else. The 4563 is like a LW commander, and works as a "Going to town/going to dinner" piece, so it may get the nod.

Then the G30S came to mind...
    If a .45 auto is the question. Then the 1911 is your answer

Site Supporter

.38 SC in stock?

Is .38 SC brass in stock anywhere? Starline is out. Thanks.

User Tag List