Thread: Hornady 115 gr +p Monoflex

Hornady 115 gr +p Monoflex

I'm curious if anyone is going to test this against the FBI peotocol,as it seems to be a mix between the DPX and G2 designs. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...dgun-hunter#!/

Hunting with a 9mm is ...... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
    Hunting with a 9mm is ...... interesting.
    9mm works great on both rabbit and grouse. I have switched all my big game hunting over to solid copper, as I don't want to be the guy that poisons a bald eagle with lead fragments left behind in a gut pile, but I really don't see the need to use an expensive solid copper bullet on small game, as a 9mm bullet is always going to exit and isn't going to leave significant lead fragments behind.

9mm wouldn't be my first choice for deer, but if it was all I had I could make it work. The blacktails here aren't very big compared to giant muleys, and at 25 yards or so a quality solid copper 9mm round could get it done with a well placed hit through the sweet spot. The thing is, that's basically the same parameters as my longbow, so I'd rather just use that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

If I remember correctly, a "standard" 9mm has something like a 2" mid-range trajectory over 50 yards, but the chart accompanying this offering indicates a nearly a six foot drop (70.9") at 50 yards. Probably something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    If I remember correctly, a "standard" 9mm has something like a 2" mid-range trajectory over 50 yards, but the chart accompanying this offering indicates a nearly a six foot drop (70.9") at 50 yards. Probably something to keep in mind.
    Interesting. I wonder if that is an error. It's not the first time I've seen a typo in a ammo company ballistic chart.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I'm inclined to think they slipped a decimal point in that trajectory chart.

And I agree that they only list this as a "varmint" hunting round, for which I think 9mm is completely adequate.

I wonder if this would be a good option for a 16in PCC?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The blacktails here aren't very big compared to giant muleys, and at 25 yards or so a quality solid copper 9mm round could get it done with a well placed hit through the sweet spot.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with 9mm for an ethical kill on blacktail, but you have to pass up a lot more shots and that's difficult for a lot of people.

It's fairly easy to pass up a 400 yard shot as too far and wait for a 200. It's harder to pass up a 12 yard shot in favor of a 9 yard shot, depending on angle and disposition. Handgun hunting blacktail is mostly an exercise in patience and quiet. If you're gonna get frustrated easily you shouldn't try it. I think I can versus I know I can comes in a lot. Sweet spot is pretty small on little deer if you want the meat.

I don't have a very high opinion on 9mm 'handgun hunting' bullets. Most 9mm bullets optimized for stopping people will stop any game you can reasonably hunt with 9mm, dangerous animal defense excluded.

User Tag List