Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPE choices for those that carry

NPE choices for those that carry

I just ran across this article.

https://www.rawstory.com/armed-at-di...d-guns-during/

In it there is reference to their security measures which led to this device.

https://evolvtechnology.com/

I had read about similar measures before but have never found much info. The Evolv site has some video of the device in action with G26 and a shotgun barrel in a backpack but not a lot of detail on how it actually works other than AI and possibly thermal imager. I'm am curious about how the thing functions and if anyone has any further info or experience in it's use, maybe at their workplace etc? Obviously don't be stupid or careless but concealed meaning concealed may not work in this case. I would guess it is expensive and uncommon but who knows for how long.

Based on a quick search, the technology appears to be based on an adaptive directed millimeter wave array capable of real time image analysis and inference of gun/no gun decisions.

In other words, you walk through a series of cell-phone frequency emitters, the system scans the imaging result, and the computer spits out what brand of underwear you have on.

Kidding (kinda). Looks like a version of TSA’s ‘hold your arms over your head’ thing, except you can keep walking.

Bear in mind this is just a guess, be interested if anyone here knows for sure.

Good reason for me to stay in the woods.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Wonder how this device would fare against something like the LifeCard gun....

I will confess that the detection gear in use at Planet Mouse was not the most attention getting part of the article for me, but your mileage may vary. They have a very long-running reputation for enforcing their prohibition on such things on their premises, and perhaps with greater effectiveness than some other places.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

What kind of dumbass puts a gun and a hundred rounds in a stroller and then forgets about it?

I have been arguing for years that ordinary citizens that are serious about being responsible for their own safety are wrong to draw from cops and .mil folks ad their primary sources. Rather they should look toward intelligence officers operating under non-official cover.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    What kind of dumbass puts a gun and a hundred rounds in a stroller and then forgets about it?
    A stroller with no child present. Just saying.

I need to know *a lot* more about that part of the story before I can have any opinion even remotely worth having. I love the idea of a 21-year old Iraqi becoming a citizen, and starting a life and family here to live the American dream. I also dig the idea of a guy like that buying a gamby as a tool to protect said family. Cool. Aaaaand, the skeptical hippo in me looks at the idea of a 21-year old Iraqi immigrant rolling an empty stroller with no kid present into an amusement park with a hidden 9mm and 5 magazines of ammo in it with slightly askew eyeballs.

Like I say, I do not have enough info to have a strong opinion on this either way, except to say that I want to hear more detail.

That includes more detail on this evolv tech stuff.
    JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A stroller with no child present. Just saying.

I need to know *a lot* more about that part of the story before I can have any opinion even remotely worth having. I love the idea of a 21-year old Iraqi becoming a citizen, and starting a life and family here to live the American dream. I also dig the idea of a guy like that buying a gamby as a tool to protect said family. Cool. Aaaaand, the skeptical hippo in me looks at the idea of a 21-year old Iraqi immigrant rolling an empty stroller with no kid present into an amusement park with a hidden 9mm and 5 magazines of ammo in it with slightly askew eyeballs.

Like I say, I do not have enough info to have a strong opinion on this either way, except to say that I want to hear more detail.

That includes more detail on this evolv tech stuff.
    JMO.
    More detail? Ask and ye shall receive. See the complaint,in particular.

https://myeclerk.myorangeclerk.com/C...2BVEZE8qiL8%3D

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

Never mind, found it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

Interesting, thanks. I still don’t see anything conclusive as to if there was ever a kid in the stroller. Regardless, that’s a solid load-out for a day in a park, sans CCW permit.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List