Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NPE choices for those that carry

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Based on a quick search, the technology appears to be based on an adaptive directed millimeter wave array capable of real time image analysis and inference of gun/no gun decisions.

In other words, you walk through a series of cell-phone frequency emitters, the system scans the imaging result, and the computer spits out what brand of underwear you have on.

Kidding (kinda). Looks like a version of TSA’s ‘hold your arms over your head’ thing, except you can keep walking.

Bear in mind this is just a guess, be interested if anyone here knows for sure.
    I recall a big kerfuffle about body-parts privacy associated with TSA's scanners. If this one indeed provides similar optical imaging, I'd project a similar problem.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    The evolv system is no joke... I visit Disney at least once a month and it has definitely had an impact on NPE carry. It actually shows a picture of the person , not an outline and has a box around the targeted area. It hits on large and small items and uses an AI system to learn from all the evolv linked systems. The parameters of sensitivity are set by the user, it can be more sensitive to pointy objects (knives, even true ceramic) to less sensitive for just gun shaped objects. It does not like sunglass cases in backpacks... even low signature defensive objects like unbreakable umbrellas, coin purses like the mean gene one have hit on the walk through. You are pulled from the line and submitted to further screening by a security person.... it’s everything from a bag search to additional metal detection wand screening, to questioning and search by OCSO. This applies to all Disney theme parks , Disney Springs, and some of the resorts on property.

Quote Originally Posted by ffchewy17 View Post
    The evolv system is no joke... I visit Disney at least once a month and it has definitely had an impact on NPE carry. It actually shows a picture of the person , not an outline and has a box around the targeted area. It hits on large and small items and uses an AI system to learn from all the evolv linked systems. The parameters of sensitivity are set by the user, it can be more sensitive to pointy objects (knives, even true ceramic) to less sensitive for just gun shaped objects. It does not like sunglass cases in backpacks... even low signature defensive objects like unbreakable umbrellas, coin purses like the mean gene one have hit on the walk through. You are pulled from the line and submitted to further screening by a security person.... it’s everything from a bag search to additional metal detection wand screening, to questioning and search by OCSO. This applies to all Disney theme parks , Disney Springs, and some of the resorts on property.
    The Rat can go fuck himself. I’m not going to bring a weapon there, but I’d be very upset if I was flagged for extra searching because of my old school rubber coin purse.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

They can never take your fists of fury. That’s how I always reassured my trainees when they were new to disarming for jail.

Thats pretty serious.

Reminds me of a novel I read, where a high level Russian defector decides to be housed at an apartment in Disney World rather then a traditional safehouse, because Disney was the world leader in 'unobtrusive high security.'

Site Supporter
    Morgan Atwood has done a good amount of research on the evolv system. I purchased two of his ceramic China knives, for 19.95.... they are very good for normal NPE areas. They will not pass through the evolv system if it is set to a certain parameter. You can get creative with the way your defensive tools are carried by using a normal day to day object to mask them, like a cell phone. The object has to be unobtrusive enough that a cursory glance of the object passes visual inspection. The CRED from variant one and the mumert titanium credit card are very good. The spyderco manbug serrated punches way out of its size class also.

Morgan Atwood has done a good amount of research on the evolv system. I purchased two of his ceramic China knives, for 19.95.... they are very good for normal NPE areas. They will not pass through the evolv system if it is set to a certain parameter. You can get creative with the way your defensive tools are carried by using a normal day to day object to mask them, like a cell phone. The object has to be unobtrusive enough that a cursory glance of the object passes visual inspection. The CRED from variant one and the mumert titanium credit card are very good. The spyderco manbug serrated punches way out of its size class also.
    The HemiSERE is slim enough to fit inside a cell phone case, in addition to fitting in a wallet. That could be an option.

https://gearward.com/collections/fro...ducts/hemisere

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Based on a quick search, the technology appears to be based on an adaptive directed millimeter wave array capable of real time image analysis and inference of gun/no gun decisions.

In other words, you walk through a series of cell-phone frequency emitters, the system scans the imaging result, and the computer spits out what brand of underwear you have on.

Kidding (kinda). Looks like a version of TSA’s ‘hold your arms over your head’ thing, except you can keep walking.

Bear in mind this is just a guess, be interested if anyone here knows for sure.
    I saw that movie:

Before everyone tries engaging in activities that will end with very negative encounters with LE or armed private security, ask yourself:

1) In the grand scheme of things, does what I'm trying to do make me more safe, or less safe?

2) Does the item I'm trying to conceal have an efficacious self-defense use that reasonably enhances my personal safety, or am I trying to smuggle something simply for the sake of concealing something? Am I engaging in fantasy?

3) Do I actually know what I am doing?

I get that it's the internet and people are going to have their mind made up, but some of the shit posted in here so far is outright fucking stupid.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Before everyone tries engaging in activities that will end with very negative encounters with LE, ask yourself:

1) In the grand scheme of things, does what I'm trying to do make me more safe, or less safe?

2) Does the item I'm trying to conceal have an efficacious self-defense use that reasonably enhances my personal safety, or am I trying to smuggle something simply for the sake of concealing something?

3) Do I actually know what I am doing?

I get that it's the internet and people are going to have their mind made up, but some of the shit posted in here so far is outright fucking stupid.
    I was trying to think of a good way to articulate that, thank you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List