Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Who cares?

I live in Mexico part of the year and have illegal handguns and long guns.

Do whatever you want and don’t get caught.

Outside of knowing the law well enough to not get caught, the law isn’t relevant.
    (Nods in fluent Californio, New Yawkish, and Connecticut-ian.)
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 06-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I did not intend for this to be a place where you say or imply that you are going to break the law or not. It's just about what the best options are that would still be legal if "adverse legislation" (or ATF redefining) occurs.

A good point brought up several times now is that we don't know how bad it will be, so maybe there's a couple of scenarios we can play with. If all semi autos with detachable mags were illegal, what would be our best options for long guns? The main two that come to mind are the M1 Garand and the SKS. If all semi autos period were banned, what then? I would agree that lever guns are fragile and bolt guns are obsolete. I also don't trust myself not to jam up a lever action (or even a pump shotgun for that matter). I have also gotten to see some pump rifles in action and also came to the conclusion that most of them are garbage, as others here have pointed out.

Oh boy...

1) Much of this trying to nail jello to the wall. I think a bunch of people are stuck on the idea that a future ban will be identical to the "evil cosmetic features" ban. Washington state just defined any semi-automatic rifle as an "assault rifle." They aren't banned (yet) but there is no difference in the law between an AR pattern rifle, a Mini-14, Browning BAR, or even a Marlin Model 60.

2) In practical terms, I don't know how worried I am. "Not able to own an AR15" isn't the same thing as "unarmed." Shotguns (pump or semi) are decisive. Combat rifle stuff is really low on my list of my priorities. At this point often people will chime in with "You aren't a real American if you don't own an AR15." They can fuck off.

3) New laws will drive new weapons. The Remington 7615 is a POS but it's certainly possible to have a rugged pump-action, magazine fed .223 or .300 BLK rifle if there is a market.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Red Dawn CosPlay.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Michael Bane’s scoutish BLR .223 is an interesting 50 state legal solution. Only real challenge is crazy expensive 5 round mags.

https://www.michaelbane.tv/how-to-st...of-jail/49208/
    Another alternative is a bolt Cee Zed 527 carbine, available in .223 (but perfectly capable of using 5.56, which CZ stipulates to in writing) and 7.62 x 39 (which is what I personally chose-a significant factor for me is that in Washington 5.56/.223 is illegal for hunting deer while 7.62 X 39 is good to go), with nicely made and not ridiculously priced 5 round magazines (around $35-$40 a wack).

Another thought is that a bolt action while intrinsically tactically inferior to a semi-auto may become less inferior if you're operating in a 2-person team or larger squad, and have trained for mutiually supportive fire.

I'm figuring it'll do no harm to have a good, vetted bolt or two before things get politically moderately interesting and prices skyrockets and availability becomes transformed into unobtanioum. As others have mentioned, a M1/M1 variant/Mini-14/Ranch Rifle could be viable contenders too.

I'm still attracted to the detachable 10 round magazine of the Lee Enfield (which in actual practice is really semi-permanantly mounted, removed primarily only for cleaning and maintenance, with actual reloading bering performed via stripper clips, which are much less expensive and less bulky).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Another alternative is a bolt Cee Zed 527 carbine, available in .223 (but perfectly capable of using 5.56, which CZ stipulates to in writing) and 7.62 x 39 (which is what I personally chose-a significant factor for me is that in Washington 5.56/.223 is illegal for hunting deer while 7.62 X 39 is good to go), with nicely made and not ridiculously priced 5 round magazines (around $35-$40 a wack).

Another thought is that a bolt action while intrinsically tactically inferior to a semi-auto may become less inferior if you're operating in a 2-person team or larger squad, and have trained for mutiually supportive fire.

I'm figuring it'll do no harm to have a good, vetted bolt or two before things get politically moderately interesting and prices skyrockets and availability becomes transformed into unobtanioum. As others have mentioned, a M1/M1 variant/Mini-14/Ranch Rifle could be viable contenders too.

I'm still attracted to the detachable 10 round magazine of the Lee Enfield (which in actual practice is really semi-permanantly mounted, removed primarily only for cleaning and maintenance, with actual reloading bering performed via stripper clips, which are much less expensive and less bulky).

Best, Jon
    Funny you mention the CZ527 commie edition. I too have one. Mine has a Dove guns scout mount and NECG ghost ring rear with the factory front fiber optic sight. Presently deciding if it gets a scout scope or just a T1 sized red dot optic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Funny you mention the CZ527 commie edition. I too have one. Mine has a Dove guns scout mount and NECG ghost ring rear with the factory front fiber optic sight. Presently deciding if it gets a scout scope or just a T1 sized red dot optic.
    I have on with a conventionally mounted 2-7x. Out performs any 30-30 lever gun I've tried as a practical carbine.

Hopefully you have an adequate supply of magazines for it.

Not sure what the deal is with them but they have become hard to find and crazy expensive. Like $100 plus ...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have on with a conventionally mounted 2-7x. Out performs any 30-30 lever gun I've tried as a practical carbine.

Hopefully you have an adequate supply of magazines for it.

Not sure what the deal is with them but they have become hard to find and crazy expensive. Like $100 plus ...
    Sign up for back in stock notifications at gunmagwarehouse & lanbosarmory. They show up semi regularly at both places for around $40. That’s how I got my spares.

Kinda spoiled with the availability of the Ruger gunsite scout mags, but the CZ is completely worth the higher tariff.

This took some doing but is CA legal by current definitions. Ares/FightLight SCR receiver with improved Gen 2 trigger. Magpul Mossberg stock adapter from a guy on AR15.com. Brownells BRN-180 upper. Linear comp. Ambi mag release installed due to SCR mag release location. CZ Scorpion irons for backup through the Aimpoint.

The only thing I don't like about it (and haven't found a good solution for) is the cross-bolt safety.

Handles and shoots well, much better than all the other CA workarounds I've tried. Unfortunately I understand that the Ares/FightLight SCR receivers have been unobtanium for a long time.

Untitled by Vandal Pix, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    This took some doing but is CA legal by current definitions. Ares/FightLight SCR receiver with improved Gen 2 trigger. Magpul Mossberg stock adapter from a guy on AR15.com. Brownells BRN-180 upper. Linear comp. Ambi mag release installed due to SCR mag release location. CZ Scorpion irons for backup through the Aimpoint.

The only thing I don't like about it (and haven't found a good solution for) is the cross-bolt safety.

Handles and shoots well, much better than all the other CA workarounds I've tried. Unfortunately I understand that the Ares/FightLight SCR receivers have been unobtanium for a long time.

Untitled by Vandal Pix, on Flickr
    Not harmonious to the eyes, but I imagine that speaking from function, there are *way* worse solutions than that one.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    The main two that come to mind are the M1 Garand and the SKS.
    FWIW:

DSA used to offer a “Cali FAL” with a fixed mag and stripper top cover.

Czechpoint used to offer a fixed mag, stripper clip fed vz58 IIRC.

— Michael

User Tag List